Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
Though Ororo's return to the X-verse def was a factor to her development, I think the most important thing that happened to Shuri--development wise--was her becoming the ruler of Wakanda. That move ensured that whenever Wakanda was involved in a story, Shuri would be involved as well (bad writing aside).

For example, would David Liss and Hickman include Shuri in their stories if she wasn't the ruler? I sincerely doubt it, especially as far as Hickman is concerned.

Would Shuri have been included in Daredevil #7 in 2014, without her rulership status? Extremely doubtful, imho.

And so on.

This isn't to say that there was no other way for BP-writers in particular to boost Shuri up without having her be Queen. However, making her the ruler at the time not only allowed her to hold a solo, but also be featured in non-BP books, including a book that was the precursor to the one of the biggest event books to date in New Avengers.
I don't think Shuri would have remained Queen had Storm stayed around though. Too many people were accustomed to Storm in her role as Queen of Wakanda and I don't know how well that would have worked or lasted with Shuri as Queen and T'Challa and Storm as King and Queen of the Dead.