Page 135 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 2217
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Other than turning into crows, they completely abandoned Coates take on Shuri.

The wise, deep knowledge, extremely confident, (borderline boring lol), warrior who coates used was replaced by a tech kid.

They kept some power stuff while giving an out to get rid of it.

This was pure sassy little sister genius MCU shuri with a dose of crows.
    that's not entirely accurate. the writer explains that coming back to life had her at a different state and that now she was feeling more like herself. she still has the knowledge that comes with the ancestors. she explained her hair was returning back to normal as well. so the differences in behavior was at least explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post

SHURI #4
    NNEDI OKORAFOR (W) • LEONARDO ROMERO (A)
    Cover by SAM SPRATT
    WHEN THE POWER GOES OUT IN WAKANDA
    Shuri’s returned from her space adventure with Rocket and Groot — but she’s brought something back with her. And now, centuries-old music and stories are disappearing across Africa. Something is stealing the continent’s cultural history — and its electrical power. Then, as if the heir to the throne didn’t have enough on her plate, a mysterious envoy arrives, and they’re looking for the Black Panther. Life as the princess of Wakanda just got a lot more complicated!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    that cover art is gorgeous!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    that's not entirely accurate. the writer explains that coming back to life had her at a different state and that now she was feeling more like herself. she still has the knowledge that comes with the ancestors. she explained her hair was returning back to normal as well. so the differences in behavior was at least explained.
    Her "more like herself" was never a tech genius sassy kid though l

agree on the cover, although... in regards to the shoes

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's definately a shift, but in the least they are acknowledging the difference and giving a bit of explanation for it. Not entirely a free pass, but more than I expected and more than a lot of books give.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's definately a shift, but in the least they are acknowledging the difference and giving a bit of explanation for it. Not entirely a free pass, but more than I expected and more than a lot of books give.
    Do you have an example of a more radical/jarring change in personality/abilities than Shuri's conversion?

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Do you have an example of a more radical/jarring change in personality/abilities than Shuri's conversion?
    Kirby Black Panther was kinda weird. Though Priest sort of explains that after the fact.

Hellstrom had sort of a weird heel turn in recent years. He suddenly ended up working for Baron ZeMO for some reason. I think he's a good guy again though.

Wasn't a big fan of Purple Girls heel turn in Alpha Flight.

Namor right now I'd a bit jarring .. though there could be an explanation for it.

But this stuff happens I guess, to varying degrees of acceptability.

Kirby Black Panther was kinda weird. Though Priest sort of explains that after the fact.

Hellstrom had sort of a weird heel turn in recent years. He suddenly ended up working for Baron ZeMO for some reason. I think he's a good guy again though.

Wasn't a big fan of Purple Girls heel turn in Alpha Flight.

But this stuff happens I guess, to varying degrees of acceptability.
    I was thinking more MCU synergy tbh.

But, imagine reading through shuri's history and jumping from Power/Doom War/Klaws/Hickman til now lol. Character is unrecognizable. New powers, new personality, younger, smarter....

But, imagine reading through shuri's history and jumping from Power/Doom War/Klaws/Hickman til now lol. Character is unrecognizable. New powers, new personality, younger, smarter....
    No doubt, its a shift. There's a bit of an explanation for it, but there's no getting around that this is a retcon.

But then again, that appears to be what some people want I suppose. I plenty have argued M'Baku and Nakia should be retconned or replaced by MCU varients. I guess some people at marvel felt Shuri should be tweaked too.

Not a huge fan of it myself... but the fact that they acknowledged and attempted to explain the shift makes it a lot easier to swallow. It would have bothered me more if she was just diffrent just because.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

lmfao I'm screaming I didn't notice those lolol

agreed. the xbooks is a great example of this.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Nothing will ever beat Marcus Johnson deciding to take the name and career of the father he only met once as an adult.

Even the character they created to become Nick Fury Jr. didn't have any in story reason to do it.

At least its POSSIBLE Reg's bratty Kid Sister version Shuri was a genius (she briefly seen was doing some work regarding Wakanda's Power Reactor in Who Is The Panther).

No Marvel isn't worrying about the people who buy the book (which is usual for them when it comes to this kind of thing-see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being Mutants anymore because of Fox).

They only look at the possible MCU randoms who might buy the book.

That this has never worked once fails to deter them.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 10-17-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Nothing will ever beat Marcus Johnson deciding to take the name and career of the father he only met once as an adult.
    OH **** I forgot about that. Yes, that wins and will always win lol

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    “More like herself” would more along the lines of the pre-Coates days (Hudlin, Mayberry, Liss, Hickman), not MCU Shuri. It’s an attempt to clean up the personality shift, but it not enough imho. Thus the suspension of disbelief from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    They only look at the possible MCU randoms who might buy the book.

That this has never worked once fails to deter them.
    Indeed. Those MCU fans historically don’t trickle down to the comic side of things, unfortunately.

Could you imagine this Shuri from this book have it in her to order the extermination of the Desturi, for example? No way.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 10-17-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    “More like herself” would more along the lines of the pre-Coates days (Hudlin, Mayberry, Liss, Hickman), not MCU Shuri. It’s an attempt to clean up the personality shift, but it not enough imho. Thus the suspension of disbelief from my perspective.

Indeed. Those MCU fans historically don’t trickle down to the comic side of things, unfortunately.

Could you imagine this Shuri from this book have it in her to order the extermination of the Desturi, for example? No way.
    In a way though, I can sort of unstand wanting to tone down her more extreme tendencies.

I think she's essentially becoming a Disney Princess now. Might want to limit the number of on panel executions we see from her.

Don't get me wrong... that side of Shuri was boss. But I can understand the notion of wanting her specifically coming off more PG rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Based on what I'm reading here, you will love our version of Shuri. We didn't have any influence from either the comics or the MCU while making this season. Zero. In fact we paid zero attention to how she's been depicted anywhere else. We made her up how we wanted her which seems to be in line with what you guys are talking about here.
    Good episodes. Very impressed on the portrayal of relationship between Hunter and Shuri. Always felt that their relationship wouldn’t be as hostile as Hunter and T’Challa’s, for various reasons.

In a way though, I can sort of unstand wanting to tone down her more extreme tendencies.

I think she's essentially becoming a Disney Princess now. Might want to limit the number of on panel executions we see from her.

Don't get me wrong... that side of Shuri was boss. But I can understand the notion of wanting her specifically coming off more PG rated.
    There are better ways to do this. What Nnedi essentially did was revert Shuri to witbp Shuri.. with a work is me, I was born the wrong gender twist. Even back then Shuri was never a tag along, always wanted to be BP, had no problem taking responsibility when isht got real (remember the whole earthquake thing in witbp and Shuri was frustrated that Tchalla wasn't letting her help like she wanted) and only missed the challenge ceremony due bad luck (dude fell on her and Tchalla got ahead of her)..

So no, I don't buy any of it. This is clearly meant for casual movie goers and as MoS said the gender and women in secret thing is beyond old.

I also an with realdeal, this Shuri is much too jarring

I think this is going to be my favorite version of Shuri, definitely the most likable for me. Love the new direction in terms of characterization and tone. The art style is also growing on me. Writing is top class, which is to be expected with Nnedi. Hope she’s done trying to explain away the changes from the older versions, those few lines were enough for me. Now I wanna see what Nnedi wants to do going forward. This gives me faith it’s gonna be dope.