Page 136 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2217
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    There are better ways to do this. What Nnedi essentially did was revert Shuri to witbp Shuri.. with a work is me, I was born the wrong gender twist. Even back then Shuri was never a tag along, always wanted to be BP, had no problem taking responsibility when isht got real (remember the whole earthquake thing in witbp and Shuri was frustrated that Tchalla wasn't letting her help like she wanted) and only missed the challenge ceremony due bad luck (dude fell on her and Tchalla got ahead of her)..

So no, I don't buy any of it. This is clearly meant for casual movie goers and as MoS said the gender and women in secret thing is beyond old.

I also an with realdeal, this Shuri is much too jarring
    And I agree. This change was far, far too jarring. It's not even about the tech, her personality is too darn different from what has come before.

It's like Bruce Wayne morphing into Wally West. It's too much of a hard turn even with the explanation.

Fantastic Member LastManStanding's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Nothing will ever beat Marcus Johnson deciding to take the name and career of the father he only met once as an adult.

Even the character they created to become Nick Fury Jr. didn't have any in story reason to do it.

At least its POSSIBLE Reg's bratty Kid Sister version Shuri was a genius (she briefly seen was doing some work regarding Wakanda's Power Reactor in Who Is The Panther).

No Marvel isn't worrying about the people who buy the book (which is usual for them when it comes to this kind of thing-see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch not being Mutants anymore because of Fox).

They only look at the possible MCU randoms who might buy the book.

That this has never worked once fails to deter them.
    However the original Nick Fury was given a proper send off in the Original Sin mini where he became the new Watcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Could you imagine this Shuri from this book have it in her to order the extermination of the Desturi, for example? No way.
    They made her personality so... young... that i'm having a hard time imaging this woman's group wanting her to be the Black Panther, let alone crackin necks. They pushed it too much into the movie side of it. Just like MCU Shuri... she doesn't seem ready for that at all. There is a reason MCU Ramonda wanted Nakia to take the HSH and when Nakia said no, offered it to M'baku. She didn't even considering Shuri anywhere close to being ready for the task.

To go from that, to comic Ramonda treating her like a child, to seeming like the most immature person in the book (which included an actual kid lol)... to being offered the position as Black Panther doesn't make a lick of narrative sense.

She acts like she'd rather be playing Fortnite.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They made her personality so... young... that i'm having a hard time imaging this woman's group wanting her to be the Black Panther, let alone crackin necks. They pushed it too much into the movie side of it. Just like MCU Shuri... she doesn't seem ready for that at all. There is a reason MCU Ramonda wanted Nakia to take the HSH and when Nakia said no, offered it to M'baku. She didn't even considering Shuri anywhere close to being ready for the task.

To go from that, to comic Ramonda treating her like a child, to seeming like the most immature person in the book (which included an actual kid lol)... to being offered the position as Black Panther doesn't make a lick of narrative sense.

Stories like these should be "non-continuity" stories like DCs Earth-1 graphic novel series.

I don't blame the writers I blame Marvel editorial. In recent years, they don't seem to have the desire to maintain internal consistency.

MCU Shuri is hot, no doubt, but to take a hammer and anvil and transform Shuri (a very stoic woman) to what it is here is too much.

There has to be a better way to tell these sort of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Stories like these should be "non-continuity" stories like DCs Earth-1 graphic novel series.

I don't blame the writers I blame Marvel editorial. In recent years, they don't seem to have the desire to maintain internal consistency.

MCU Shuri is hot, no doubt, but to take a hammer and anvil and transform Shuri (a very stoic woman) to what it is here is too much.

It should have been a prequel to her young days.

Then you can show us this young techy Shuri living in the shadow of T'challa

then, in future books in the "present" timeline, if they made the switch, it wouldn't be as jarring. She wouldn't be as young but you can still bring back the sass displayed by Hudlin and Liss and bring back the tech elements by an instory reason that makes sense.

So, timeline wise, it would look like this...

1. Shuri vol 1 #1-6- The Untold Origin of Shuri! It shows Shuri interest in tech and vibranium when she was young. Show off her brain with a touch of warrior. Keep the in continuity stuff about her wanting to be black panther but show us she had other passions as well. Set the table for changing Shuri in the present timeline.

If the book goes well and gets another volume, sweet! If not.. you still have an "MCU Shuri" book on the shelves to sell to all those new MCU comic fans that don't exist lol.

2. Shuri vol 2 #7-9- Go back to the present timeline. Have the book start out with something like, "with T'challa back as king and Wakanda finally stable again, I feel like I can finally relax." This line would be used to explain her going back to sassier young Hudlin Shuri. The same shuri you see in Rise and the cartoon. SHE WOULDNT BECOME A KID AGAIN!!! big difference. She just wouldn't be "super stoic Hickman/Coates version" anymore. Hudlin's shuri was very "saturday morning cartoon" type. It works as being young. Have her get back into the lab and do stuff. Also, here is when you start to hint at the fact her Griot powers are waning. Have her start to forget stuff. Have her powers get wonky in the field.

3. Shuri vol 2 #10-12- This is where you eliminate the Griot stuff by whatever story measure you want to use. At hte same time, you see shuri build tech to replace it now that she is becoming powerless (not panther powers, no griot powers). Panther gauntlets, wings, ect. Have her modify T'challa's Djalia teleporter to work without Eden to show off her tech genius and have her go back to Mother to find out the "why."

Now, this is just an outline to bring her closer to MCU shuri in a logical way. You obviously need a story in there.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

I think that sort of might be the point though (or the problem dependng on how you look at it). I don't think the intent is consistancy... I think there is an actual agenda at creating synergy between the movie and comic version.

As a lesser example, we're seeing Starlord in the comics essentially morph into the movie version. THe change isn't quite as severe... but Starlord wasn't really Chris Pine prior to the movies.

Like it or not (and usually I'm not a fan of it), I do think there's somewhat of a desire from marvel and even from some readers for movie synergy. Not just Shuri, we occasionally get that from Nakia and M'Baku as well. And we are sort of getting that in Coates current run, though in that case at least it's not the real Nakia and M'Baku so it's not an issue. But yeah... synergy seems to sort of be a thing.

Again, not a fan of it. But from marvels perspective I sort of understand it. There's a certain logic in creating a sort of consensus on the potrayal of a character, as far as branding and marketing and such. BUt continuity wise, it can be a mess. At least this book gave an on panel explanation for it. Far from perfect, but I appreciated the effort.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think that sort of might be the point though (or the problem dependng on how you look at it). I don't think the intent is consistancy... I think there is an actual agenda at creating synergy between the movie and comic version.

As a lesser example, we're seeing Starlord in the comics essentially morph into the movie version. THe change isn't quite as severe... but Starlord wasn't really Chris Pine prior to the movies.

Like it or not (and usually I'm not a fan of it), I do think there's somewhat of a desire from marvel and even from some readers for movie synergy. Not just Shuri, we occasionally get that from Nakia and M'Baku as well. And we are sort of getting that in Coates current run, though in that case at least it's not the real Nakia and M'Baku so it's not an issue. But yeah... synergy seems to sort of be a thing.

Again, not a fan of it. But from marvels perspective I sort of understand it. There's a certain logic in creating a sort of consensus on the potrayal of a character, as far as branding and marketing and such. BUt continuity wise, it can be a mess. At least this book gave an on panel explanation for it. Far from perfect, but I appreciated the effort.
    True.

But I like Mind of Shadow's suggestion, they should have made this an "untold story" sort of deal.

And acting like it is a position to just be offered. She got some trials to go through. And a tournament to fight in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    And acting like it is a position to just be offered. She got some trials to go through. And a tournament to fight in.
    Can Bast even bless her if she isn't around?

then, in future books in the "present" timeline, if they made the switch, it wouldn't be as jarring. She wouldn't be as young but you can still bring back the sass displayed by Hudlin and Liss and bring back the tech elements by an instory reason that makes sense.

1. Shuri vol 1 #1-6- The Untold Origin of Shuri! It shows Shuri interest in tech and vibranium when she was young. Show off her brain with a touch of warrior. Keep the in continuity stuff about her wanting to be black panther but show us she had other passions as well. Set the table for changing Shuri in the present timeline.

If the book goes well and gets another volume, sweet! If not.. you still have an "MCU Shuri" book on the shelves to sell to all those new MCU comic fans that don't exist lol.

2. Shuri vol 2 #7-9- Go back to the present timeline. Have the book start out with something like, "with T'challa back as king and Wakanda finally stable again, I feel like I can finally relax." This line would be used to explain her going back to sassier young Hudlin Shuri. The same shuri you see in Rise and the cartoon. SHE WOULDNT BECOME A KID AGAIN!!! big difference. She just wouldn't be "super stoic Hickman/Coates version" anymore. Hudlin's shuri was very "saturday morning cartoon" type. It works as being young. Have her get back into the lab and do stuff. Also, here is when you start to hint at the fact her Griot powers are waning. Have her start to forget stuff. Have her powers get wonky in the field.

3. Shuri vol 2 #10-12- This is where you eliminate the Griot stuff by whatever story measure you want to use. At hte same time, you see shuri build tech to replace it now that she is becoming powerless (not panther powers, no griot powers). Panther gauntlets, wings, ect. Have her modify T'challa's Djalia teleporter to work without Eden to show off her tech genius and have her go back to Mother to find out the "why."

Now, this is just an outline to bring her closer to MCU shuri in a logical way. You obviously need a story in there.
    See that right there? That's how you make a Shuri pitch. I would like to see something like this. I think a point to make to would be also "now that Tchalla became king and not Shuri, it also left a void to fill in the tech department because Tchalla no longer had the time to build more tech as he is ruling, Shuri finds herself drawn to the lab and building stuff just as well as Tchalla (while making s few improvements to existing tech herself) establish that they are focusing on their own stuff too and when it jumps back to current time she is somewhat relieved because she actually enjoyed lab work more then Being BP (maybe could be anplot point of why she is hesitant to take the mantle Again, it wasn't till getting it then losing it that she realized how much of a"scientist at heart" she was) and she is getting back to her old self Again, because the weight of the crown changed her to the stoic ruthless leader because she had to.

Can Bast even bless her if she isn't around?
    Probably not. But given Shuri has powers independent of Bast anyways, I imagine Shuri just running around in a BP costume could get the job done in a practical sense.

Obviously that's not ideal, but if Bast isn't around then you probably can't just around waiting for her.

Maybe once you do it once, you don't need to do it again.

T'Challa as far as we know never had to go through all that again when he regained the BP mantle. He just sort of became BP again (though he was sort of BP as king of the dead anyways).

But with no Bast I suppose all the ceremonial stuff is moot anyways.
    Last edited by XPac; 10-18-2018 at 08:13 AM.

Probably not. But given Shuri has powers independent of Bast anyways, I imagine Shuri just running around in a BP costume could get the job done in a practical sense.

Obviously that's not ideal, but if Bast isn't around then you probably can't just around waiting for her.
    Maybe once you do it once, you don't need to do it again.

T'Challa as far as we know never had to go through all that again when he regained the BP mantle. He just sort of became BP again (though he was sort of BP as king of the dead anyways).
    Yeah, not sure how that works. One of those unspoken things.

T'challa got the title back from Killmonger after he went into his coma. I don't remember Priest mentioned him doing any of the ceremony stuff again.

McGregor, on the other hand, had T'challa do some of the trials just to get repowered during the ceremony.

The 8 month gap after Secret Wars leaves plenty of time for T'challa to redo stuff if need be. But, in theory, Bast wasn't around then either. But T'challa was alreayd running around in a panther suit with Bast's blessing at the time so

*shrug* lol

I would be down for that. Would’ve been a win/win for all parties and possibly yield good stories along the way.

She honestly doesn’t need the BP mantle, being that she has her own powers.

All that would’ve been needed was for her to have emergency/regeant powers until they know for sure what happened to T’Challa. Which should’ve been figured before T’Challa and Eden went to Space.

Every (we’ll-functioning) country has a clear line of succession. Wakanda should’ve been no different.