Page 102 of 148 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2217

I think this movie is going to be great for Shuri. I feel like fans are already taking to the character via the previews we've seen and she may be a break out character.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

So it turns out that MCU Shuri is 16 years old at the start of the BP solo.

https://twitter.com/mcu_tweets/statu...71412381040642

Obviously Shuri was going to be younger in this film compared to her comic counterpart but wasn't expecting that young.

That said, it tells me that she'll should be around for a while. Also means that Shuri's path in the MCU is really wide open if they are going that far back age wise.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I think this movie is going to be great for Shuri. I feel like fans are already taking to the character via the previews we've seen and she may be a break out character.
    I'm very curious on the upcoming reaction of new Shuri fan via the movie when they read her comic book counterpart. Lack of genuise intellect aside (though Shuri's tech savvy in the comics) Comic Shuri went through a very different path, focusing on being a warrior and BP rather than a top scientist.

Perhaps the movies (including the BP sequels) will manage to blend both somehow down the line. Many ways to approach it.

Saw this article by Collider talking about MCU Shuri's intelligence.

http://collider.com/black-panther-sh...wright/#images

Also saw this portion:

In the comics, and this is going to get a bit spoilery if you care about such things, Shuri has actually had quite a complicated history that includes acting against T’Challa, banishing him from Wakanda and assuming leadership of the nation both as queen and as the new Black Panther. In this role, she reinstated the Hatut Zeraze that T’Challa had disbanded and led an invasion force into Atlantis against Namor. The siblings shared the title of Black Panther for a time, though their powers have changed and evolved over the years. If that brief tease interests you, you should definitely dive into the comics.
    That quote is completely misleading. The way it's written, one would think that Shuri started a coup, took over the crown, subsequently banned T'Challa from Wakanda, and inexplicably started a war with Atlantis, just because. That obviously isn't how (or why) it went down.

Soooooooooo much misinformation going on concerning the BP-verse being spread to the masses It's insane.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 01-26-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Concept art of MCU Shuri's lab.

https://www.cbr.com/black-panther-sh...artest-person/

“As far as the technologically-advanced side, in our mind, and in our incarnation, Shuri is the head of the Wakanda Design Group,” Moore said during a visit to the film’s set by Screen Rant. “She’s the smartest person in the world, smarter than Tony Stark but she’s a sixteen year old girl which we thought was really interesting. Again, black faces in positions of power or positions of technological know-how, that’s a rarity. So it’s something that’s a big part of the film.”

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    I guess we can officially call her the smartest person in the world, at least until someone on screen disputes it.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I guess we can officially call her the smartest person in the world, at least until someone on screen disputes it.
    Perhaps it's my comic book bias speaking but Shuri being the smartest in the MCU doesn't hyped me up. I'm a super minority opinion on that one.

Shuri's persona and leadership skills are what drew me to the character. Though her being tech-savvy has always been part of her character, her being a scientific genius is cool but it doesn't mean much to me.

The MU is full of scientific geniuses. Only a select few can claim to have lead armies full of grown men and women into battle, which something Shuri has done both as a princess and a queen.

Perhaps it's my comic book bias speaking but Shuri being the smartest in the MCU doesn't hyped me up. I'm a super minority opinion on that one.

Shuri's persona and leadership skills are what drew me to the character. Though her being tech-savvy has always been part of her character, her being a scientific genius is cool but it doesn't mean much to me.

The MU is full of scientific geniuses. Only a select few can claim to have lead armies full of grown men and women into battle, which something Shuri has done both as a princess and a queen.
    I think for the MCU, being the smartest person in the world will mean more than being a leader. As far as leadership goes, she likely will be in T'CHalla's shadow because I think being the king will sort of be his thing.

In the MCU, especially once Stark rides off into the sunset, it'll be a niche that Shuri can sort of own all to herself. If people need a smart person, she now becomes the default go-to person.

I think for the MCU, being the smartest person in the world will mean more than being a leader. As far as leadership goes, she likely will be in T'CHalla's shadow because I think being the king will sort of be his thing.
    Which is fine, imho. The way I originally envisioned it when the movie was announced was that T'Challa is king, but Shuri would be one of those that could influence his decisions. Perhaps she will be in such a position either in the first film or the sequels. Leadership comes in many forms, doesn't always mean "being in charge."

In the MCU, especially once Stark rides off into the sunset, it'll be a niche that Shuri can sort of own all to herself. If people need a smart person, she now becomes the default go-to person.
    Fair point. As I mentioned earlier, my position on her being a scientific genius in the MCU is definitely in the minority. A lot of folks looking into Shuri seemed very hyped by the news.

Mighty Member

Saw this article by Collider talking about MCU Shuri's intelligence.

http://collider.com/black-panther-sh...wright/#images

Also saw this portion:

That quote is completely misleading. The way it's written, one would think that Shuri started a coup, took over the crown, subsequently banned T'Challa from Wakanda, and inexplicably started a war with Atlantis, just because. That obviously isn't how (or why) it went down.

Soooooooooo much misinformation going on concerning the BP-verse being spread to the masses It's insane.
    Shuri is a great character but to be honest I never really saw Shuri as the "true" queen of Wakanda. Since T'Challa was not dead nor did he abdicate the throne at best Shuri was (Regent) ruling in T'Challa's name. And of course only because Storm chose to stay by T'Challa's bedside otherwise Storm would have been ruling Wakanda as queen. Once T'Challa had recovered from his injuries he should have retaken power both as King and as the one true Black Panther. Having Shuri banish/exile T'Challa and him then taking orders from her did not sit right with me. Also the fact that Bast herself told T'Challa that if he wanted it the throne was his again. So no Shuri did not stage a coup to take the throne but in reality the throne was never technically her's to begin with. T'Challa was first, Storm was second and since they had no children then Shuri was third in line for the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Shuri is a great character but to be honest I never really saw Shuri as the "true" queen of Wakanda. Since T'Challa was not dead nor did he abdicate the throne at best Shuri was (Regent) ruling in T'Challa's name. And of course only because Storm chose to stay by T'Challa's bedside otherwise Storm would have been ruling Wakanda as queen. Once T'Challa had recovered from his injuries he should have retaken power both as King and as the one true Black Panther. Having Shuri banish/exile T'Challa and him then taking orders from her did not sit right with me. Also the fact that Bast herself told T'Challa that if he wanted it the throne was his again. So no Shuri did not stage a coup to take the throne but in reality the throne was never technically her's to begin with. T'Challa was first, Storm was second and since they had no children then Shuri was third in line for the throne.
    Honestly I do think they should have made Shuri ruler WHILE T'CHalla was still in a coma. Once T'Challa recovered, there was honestly no reason for him not to remain ruler of Wakanda. With all due respect to Shuri, T'Challa even in a wheel chair was more qualified to rule than her (not that she wasn't capable of doing the job).

But ultimately I think a big part of making her queen was the appeal of T'Challa being free to play super hero a bit in the states while Shuri stayed in Wakanda. The Hells Kitchen stuff wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if he did that while still being ruler or Wakanda (not that it entirely made sense even if he wasn't ruler of Wakanda).

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Storm chose Shuri to become the legitimate princess-regeant. T'Challa was offered the opportunity to become king again and ultimately he passed on it. Thus, Bast herself decreed soon after that Shuri would go from regeant to queen, while T'Challa becomes the king of the dead. Shuri being queen was as legitimate as any previous ruler.

One can question whether Shuri should've banned T'Challa at that moment, but she absolutely had the authority to do so. In addition to Bast declaring her the queen, she had the support of both of Hatute Zeraze and the Dora Milaje. The Dora's in particular switched sides to her camp. Also keep in mind that she had a very good reason to do it: she finds her own brother colluding with an firm enemy of the Wakandan state and when asked why he brought Namor to the Necropolis, he refused to answer several times.

Lastly, there is no "one true" king or queen. The BP mantle is ultimately just that: a mantle. T'Challa comes from a long line of Black Panthers. Shuri's rule was as legitimate as T'Challa's, which was as legitimate as S'Yan's, which was as legitimate as T'Chaka's, which was as legitimate as Azzari's, and so on.

EDIT: quick question: instead of Shuri banning T'Challa when she did, what do you think she should've done at that moment?
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 01-26-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Honestly I do think they should have made Shuri ruler WHILE T'CHalla was still in a coma. Once T'Challa recovered, there was honestly no reason for him not to remain ruler of Wakanda. With all due respect to Shuri, T'Challa even in a wheel chair was more qualified to rule than her (not that she wasn't capable of doing the job).
    T'Challa's competency compared to Shuri's is irrelevant. Once T'Challa passed up Bast's offer to rule, Shuri legitimacy as ruler was set in stone. On top of that, you said it yourself: Shuri was capable of doing the job.

T'Challa's competency compared to Shuri's is irrelevant. Once T'Challa passed up Bast's offer to rule, Shuri legitimacy as ruler was set in stone. On top of that, you said it yourself: Shuri was capable of doing the job.
    I'm not questioning Shuri's legitimacy... just saying that if T'Challa was capable of doing the job by the end of the story there theoretically was no reason to strip him of the title. It's why IMO they should have kept him incapacitated longer, so it's easier to justify them taking the job from him. Obviously a T'Challa in a coma can't run a country. But a T'Challa in a wheel chair still can.