Page 103 of 148 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 2217

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm not questioning Shuri's legitimacy... just saying that if T'Challa was capable of doing the job by the end of the story there theoretically was no reason to strip him of the title. It's why IMO they should have kept him incapacitated longer, so it's easier to justify them taking the job from him. Obviously a T'Challa in a coma can't run a country. But a T'Challa in a wheel chair still can.
    Of course he can, but that's not how it works. You don't just transfer that kind of political power like it's a costume. Transfer of power of this magnitude is a very big deal.

T'Challa not being king when he came back was easily explained on two occasions (Doomwar and FF): he didn't want to wrestle back the throne from Shuri. He chose not to do it.

It more or less worked out in the end, as Shuri transferred the crown back to him before her death in TRO.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Of course he can, but that's not how it works. You don't just transfer that kind of political power like it's a costume. Transfer of power of this magnitude is a very big deal.

T'Challa not being king when he came back was easily explained on two occasions (Doomwar and FF): he didn't want to wrestle back the throne from Shuri. He chose not to do it.

It more or less worked out in the end, as Shuri transferred the crown back to him before her death in TRO.
    Oh, I certainly buy T'Challa not wrestling the throne from Shuri. Frankly I think he was happy to let her have it so he could run off and play super hero. I just don't agree with stripping him of it in the first place if he came out of his coma at the end of the story. Again, if he's awake IMO he should still be king because there's no reason to strip him of it.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Though I agree it did work out in the end. T'Challa got the freedom to play super hero in the states while Shuri was placed in a positon where it made it almost impossible to send her off to limbo. I don't disagree with the decision to give the throne to Shuri. I just think it would have been more believable if he stayed in a coma until after Shuri got the mantle, to make the decision to strip him more believable. But maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Oh, I certainly buy T'Challa not wrestling the throne from Shuri. Frankly I think he was happy to let her have it so he could run off and play super hero. I just don't agree with stripping him of it in the first place if he came out of his coma at the end of the story. Again, if he's awake IMO he should still be king because there's no reason to strip him of it.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. Though I agree it did work out in the end.
    We'll def have to agree to disagree. Again, this is the powers of a head of state we are talking about. By the time T'Challa came back from his comatose state, the transfer of power was already done. There were no guarantees (in the eyes of the Wakandans) that T'Challa would survive.

Just because T'Challa (thankfully) came back doesn't mean he automatically had the right to return to the throne. It honestly doesn't work like that. Procedures and lines of succession are around for a reason.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 01-26-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Mighty Member

We'll def have to agree to disagree. Again, this is the powers of a head of state we are talking about. By the time T'Challa came back from his comatose state, the transfer of power was already done. There were no guarantees (in the eyes of the Wakandans) that T'Challa would survive.

Just because T'Challa (thankfully) came back doesn't mean he automatically had the right to return to the throne. It honestly doesn't work like that. Procedures and lines of succession are around for a reason.
    Maybe in a democratic or republic style of government it doesn't work that way, but we're talking about a monarchy, and in a monarchy the King or Queen reigns until death, abdication or they are deposed in a revolution. Neither happened to T'Challa, he was injured, Storm declined to stay by his side and Shuri took the throne. But it should have been as Regent, ruling in her brother's name until he was able to resume rulership. If Storm had decided to rule instead of giving it to Shuri do you think that she would have been able to keep power even after T'Challa recovered. Since the founding of Wakanda there has been a unbroken line of Kings/Black Panthers. And since T'Challa was not dead only injured/incapacitated the line was not broken. The throne was his.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Maybe in a democratic or republic style of government it doesn't work that way, but we're talking about a monarchy, and in a monarchy the King or Queen reigns until death, abdication or they are deposed in a revolution. Neither happened to T'Challa, he was injured, Storm declined to stay by his side and Shuri took the throne.
    Injured is an understatement. T'Challa was in a coma, his prognosis did not look good, his soul was in limbo, and he was inching closer and closer to dying. It took Storm literally making a deal with "Death" itself for T'Challa to come back, on top of a lot of luck via Shuri's actions in the world of the living. The Wakandans honestly had no idea if T'Challa was going to come back and couldn't afford to wait, thus they went with the line of succession.

On top of that, Shuri went through all the rites every Black Panther has gone through, all the way to meeting Bast herself. The only twist was that Bast gave Shuri a second chance to prove herself.

As I mentioned earlier, T'Challa passed up the opportunity to go for the throne not once, but twice. Once he passed up Bast's offer and Bast declared that Shuri would be the queen, the matter was entirely settled.

But it should have been as Regent, ruling in her brother's name until he was able to resume rulership. If Storm had decided to rule instead of giving it to Shuri do you think that she would have been able to keep power even after T'Challa recovered. Since the founding of Wakanda there has been a unbroken line of Kings/Black Panthers. And since T'Challa was not dead only injured/incapacitated the line was not broken. The throne was his.
    If Storm was the Queen and BP and T'Challa chose to do the same thing he did with Shuri, then yes, Storm would've been the Queen as an absolute ruler.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 01-27-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Getting some strong Ghost in the Shell vibes with this one.

https://instagram.com/p/BedfKdRhpkX/

Last edited by Realdealholy; 01-28-2018 at 05:44 AM.

So Christopher Priest and Jonathan Hickman were spotted at the Marvel writers retreat.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...riters-summit/

Always wondered how Shuri would've been portrayed under Priest's pen. Doubtful we'll ever see it being that Priest has insisted that he has no plans on writing BP anytime soon, but I suspect it would've been a very well-done interpretation.

Would love for Hickman to write Shuri. He wrote the best Shuri in comics to this day, imho. Perhaps the growing popularity of the Black Panther franchise and the upcoming solo film might make it possible down the line.

Letitia Wright at the Black Panther world premiere.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Is this Jen Bartel?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Is this Jen Bartel?
    No, it's not. It's by Yinza Voris.

https://instagram.com/p/BedOo_RjiCe/