Page 12 of 148 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Something about Shuri's new powers reminds me of Siryn in her role as the Morrigan's replacement. A few parallels there. I'm not sure what her new powers are, but power-ups can be tricky for street level heroes. I hope they get it right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Something about Shuri's new powers reminds me of Siryn in her role as the Morrigan's replacement. A few parallels there. I'm not sure what her new powers are, but power-ups can be tricky for street level heroes. I hope they get it right.
    Hmm...just did a brief research and there are some parallels. The "birds" teleportation stuff is an obvious one, as well as protection from human projectiles. The rest of Siryn's new powerset appears to be undefined though. Hopefully Coates gives some clarity as far as Shuri is concerned.

And what exactly is a street-level character these days? That term seems to have blurred a lot. Shuri's foe's have been mystical/cosmic for most of her publication history and with her new upgrades, she's leaning much more under the mystic category. Nor does she function in the streets much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    And what exactly is a street-level character these days? That term seems to have blurred a lot.
    Yeah it really has.

Used to be simply "anyone spider-man strength and down" but... when is the last time Cap did anything "street level" lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

And what exactly is a street-level character these days? That term seems to have blurred a lot.
    I'm actually referring more to the power set of the hero than the villain here when I use the term "street level." "Street Level" as in a taxonomic epithet and not meant as a perjorative.

And I didn't invent the phrase, merely adapting it for this discussion. Since the dawn of time heroes have been battling insurmountable odds against far more powerful foes and winning. That's the magic of myths, legendary tales and folklore of every kind. I don't only expect it, I demand it. Captain America punches Korvac with his mortal fist and it hurts Korvac. Or nigh-indestructible Ultron and it hurts Ultron. The punch never hurts Cap. We love our heroes because of the improbable things that they do.

But the simple truth is that for all of her prowess, Shuri, isn't considered in the same class as cosmically powered characters. At the end of the day, she's not bench pressing Saturn, sun-drinking in the fiery core of VY Canis Majoris, or traversing the spaceways to Galador unaided. She is not beyond classification, even if "structurally limitation-averse" is that classification.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 12-12-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm actually referring more to the power set of the hero than the villain here when I use the term "street level." "Street Level" as in a taxonomic epithet and not meant as a perjorative.

And I didn't invent the phrase, merely adapting it for this discussion. Since the dawn of time heroes have been battling insurmountable odds against far more powerful foes and winning. That's the magic of myths, legendary tales and folklore of every kind. I don't only expect it, I demand it. Captain America punches Korvac with his mortal fist and it hurts Korvac. Or nigh-indestructible Ultron and it hurts Ultron. The punch never hurts Cap. We love our heroes because of the improbable things that they do.

But the simple truth is that for all of her prowess, Shuri, isn't considered in the same class as cosmically powered characters. At the end of the day, she's not bench pressing Saturn, sun-drinking in the fiery core of VY Canis Majoris, or traversing the spaceways to Galador unaided. She is not beyond classification, even if "structurally limitation-averse" is that classification.
    Fair points made.

It could be my lack of knowledge on this particular issue, but I always interpreted the "_______-level" classification based on power set and/or setting (villains often influence the setting part, imho). These days, it appears to be interpreted in many, many ways, resulting in some confusion.

In any case, all I hope for is for Shuri's new power set to be powerful, impactful, and a complement to her personality and beliefs. Crossing my fingers.

Edit........
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-03-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Third printing of Black Panther #2. Original art by Rahzzah.

BANNED

My Queen.

The last worthy ruler of Wakanda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post

My Queen.

The last worthy ruler of Wakanda.
    Shuri may not be the ruler right now, but if my theory about this current BP run proves true, she'll have one thing that may be just as important: the respect of the people.

Her decision to attack and destroy Atlantis probably earned her a lot of goodwill among the Wakandan people and Wakandan government. The people especially, being that they were demanding for retaliation for Atlantis' attack in AvX.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 12-14-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Has there been any mention of Shuri appearing in the films?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Has there been any mention of Shuri appearing in the films?
    strong rumor of a casting but no confirmation yet.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html