Page 144 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148 LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 2217

One look at the interior art and Shuri is dead on arrival. Comparing it to the BP lead Shuri book for numbers is misleading. The art is bad for the style of book imo It doesn't matter which version Shuri MCU style or her old persona is in it .The current Shuri art is enough to make people not take a second look. People are going to want to sell Shuri eventually numbers as indictment on "Hey they should have stick with older presentation of her character because at least then the comics fan would have bought her book" . Nope this is classic comic company BS throw out new character with no really intentions of supporting them properly. Prefer what style of character you want to but we can be clear no character whether they are Wolverine, Deadpool, Batman,etc with this art and unknown writer to most comic fans is going to sell well long term.

The only number I care about in this case the first week/month sales numbers. Those numbers are clear indication of interest character and concept. The 34,425 units sold for Shuri is comparable to the X-23 issue 5 35,518 units sold that same month. It makes you wonder what would happen if they say put Russell Dauterman or David Marquez well know writer say Tom King,Dan Slott,Matt Fraction,Reggie Hudlin etc. on the book. I mean you would want a decent run(7 to 10 issues) with solid names to establish an audience and even what with DC did with Sideways and Damage is better than what is happening to Shuri those books at least got couple of issues with big name artist before they left.

The worst part is people are going to throw out numbers and you fan have to sit through the bs about why this new character or minority character failed when companies half ass support. Comic is still visual medium you put Reginald Hudlin with Ken Lashley giving you this

and Leonardo Romero give us this
    Capture.jpg

Just saying.Comic fans should know what proper support look like and what throwing a darts at a dart board looks like and Shuri isn't built for long term success and it is obvious imo. And when it bleeds people(and it probably will) some people won't go hey this creative team wasn't strong enough to hold/build customer base it will be yeah "I knew this version of character wouldn't work"
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-20-2018 at 05:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    One look at the interior art and Shuri is dead on arrival. Comparing it to the BP lead Shuri book for numbers is misleading. The art is bad for the style of book imo It doesn't matter which version Shuri MCU style or her old persona is in it .The current Shuri art is enough to make people not take a second look.
    The art on the book is one of its main selling points as far as I'm concerned. Leonardo Romero is one of my favorite current comic artists.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The art on the book is one of its main selling points as far as I'm concerned. Leonardo Romero is one of my favorite current comic artists.
    I really enjoyed his work on Hawkeye. For some reason, not enjoying as much on Shuri, but it's not a major turn off for me either.

While I can't say the art is a selling point for me personally, I do think it suits the stories tone.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Art is subjective. I think Lashley's style is preferred by the traditional (mostly older) audience, whilte Romero's is probably preferred by a newer audience. But I don't really know why Shuri was given her own series-- she's better as a supporting character, IMHO.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Killerbee bringing up numbers does have me worried. A #1 sold less than a #5 of a book of a character with a cult following. If they wanted more attention they could've waited and try to tie it in with an event like they tried with Prowler (sucks that one didn't catch on).

Good luck with the art. Romero's giving us low quality Spider-Man daily comic strip art. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

The only number I care about in this case the first week/month sales numbers. Those numbers are clear indication of interest character and concept. The 34,425 units sold for Shuri is comparable to the X-23 issue 5 35,518 units sold that same month. It makes you wonder what would happen if they say put Russell Dauterman or David Marquez well know writer say Tom King,Dan Slott,Matt Fraction,Reggie Hudlin etc. on the book. I mean you would want a decent run(7 to 10 issues) with solid names to establish an audience and even what with DC did with Sideways and Damage is better than what is happening to Shuri those books at least got couple of issues with big name artist before they left.

Can't really compare a #1 to a #5. It isn't a fair comparison. Sales don't really become "true" until 3ish.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Daaaaam realdeal with a mic drop.. spot on here. Especially when broken down this way. There is no continuity, all these hacks came in and chopped up the mythos without a Care about what they were doing, more concerned about their agenda that they contradict the ongoing stories that happened recently or were ongoing. This is why you don't hire neophytes to try and "uplift" a franchise, and especially why you let then go unchecked like they have been
    Knowledge....

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    While I can't say the art is a selling point for me personally, I do think it suits the stories tone.
    Sure, if the style and tone is directed at 10 year olds.

The art is bad, the story is bad, for some reason folk's can't help themselves but throw shade at the title Character who is giving then the damn chance to even write these characters and they thank him by dismantling the mythos and what separates it from other places

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Sure, if the style and tone is directed at 10 year olds.

The art is bad, the story is bad, for some reason folk's can't help themselves but throw shade at the title Character who is giving then the damn chance to even write these characters and they thank him by dismantling the mythos and what separates it from other places
    Again, art is a very subjective thing. Some clearly like Romero and some don't.
    Last edited by XPac; 11-20-2018 at 03:26 PM.

Mighty Member

I like Romero. I don't see why his style would be categorized as being directed at kids. Isn't it more useful to say "I don't like it" than "It's bad" when we're talking about subjective things?

Romero showed with Hawkeye, another female-led solo book, that he is a great storyteller, and Moss' editorial office does not cast artists recklessly. If the style ain't for you, it ain't for you. But posting a Lashley panel vs a Romero panel is like posting an Alex Ross cover vs a Chris Samnee cover and giving Ross the edge because of realism. That would be silly.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Romero showed with Hawkeye, another female-led solo book, that he is a great storyteller, and Moss' editorial office does not cast artists recklessly. If the style ain't for you, it ain't for you. But posting a Lashley panel vs a Romero panel is like posting an Alex Ross cover vs a Chris Samnee cover and giving Ross the edge because of realism. That would be silly.
    Definitely an apples to oranges comparison. We're all going to have our preferences, but trying to look at those styles in a truly comparative light is a fruitless (pun fully and unapologetically intended) endeavor. They aren't trying to accomplish the same goals with their illustrative styles.

One thing I think we can all agree on: the covers for the Shuri book have been great.

Cover of Shuri #5, by Sam Spratt.

Last edited by Realdealholy; 11-20-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Just realized the solicits were out, and wow...

SHURI #5 NNEDI OKORAFOR (W) • LEONARDO ROMERO (A) Cover by SAM SPRATT THE TWO BADDEST GAUNTLET-WIELDERS IN THE MARVEL UNIVERSE UNITE! An alien creature has invaded Wakanda! And with her powers strangely malfunctioning and her brother still missing, Shuri is in over her head. Time to call for backup. Enter: Iron Man! But can these two tech geniuses figure out how to de-power an energy-sucking alien before it destroys the entire continent? Don’t miss the end of the first arc — and a dramatic change for the princess of Wakanda! 32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    “RIP Comics Shuri” is real.

First the personality. Then the leadership. Now the power set. Griot powers are done for.

The Shuri of old will be gone by the end of this book.