Page 8 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Shuri in Marvel Heroes. Her voice actress is pretty good.

BANNED

I know this is a Appreciation thread, but I believe that Marvel could have done more with Shuri to establish her character better.

If they truly wanted to make Shuri a better character, then they could have done more flashback of her life with T'challa. Maybe showing her jealously more or her reaction to the Avengers.

Maybe showcase a moment when Shuri meets Captain America and sees why her brother and father sees him as a hero.

Something to establish her character better because I'm willing to admit that I wasn't a fan of Shuri as she was dropped on us with little to know previous info.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I know this is a Appreciation thread, but I believe that Marvel could have done more with Shuri to establish her character better.

If they truly wanted to make Shuri a better character, then they could have done more flashback of her life with T'challa. Maybe showing her jealously more or her reaction to the Avengers.

Maybe showcase a moment when Shuri meets Captain America and sees why her brother and father sees him as a hero.

Something to establish her character better because I'm willing to admit that I wasn't a fan of Shuri as she was dropped on us with little to know previous info.
    Concerning stories of her past, I think they will be finally touched on in this current run of BP, whether it be in the main BP book or in BP: World of Wakanda. Shuri appears to be getting the most character development she's had since she became a BP 7-8 years go, and her current character development might trump that too.

Concerning her portrayal in previous stories, Shuri showed up in the BP books at a time in which T'Challa and Storm were set to be married. Thus, both of those characters obviously got most of very strong majority of panel and development time. It's not until much later in the Hudlin run that we finally got some more development on Shuri's part.

That being said, Shuri has been getting character development during her reign, especially in the latter parts of the Hudlin run, the Mayberry run, the Liss run, and the Hickman run. She has a different leadership style than T'Challa. She has a much more antagonistic relationship with Namor than T'Challa does. She's more of a traditionalist than T'Challa is and her political views are more in line with the previews panthers than T'Challa's. I also wouldn't be surprised if she saw Captain America and the Avengers differently than T'Challa does.

If I may ask, how many stories featuring Shuri have you read?
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 12-04-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Last edited by Realdealholy; 12-04-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Unlettered BP #2 "Run The Jewels" variant cover by Rahzzah.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Realdealholy View Post
    Concerning stories of her past, I think they will be finally touched on in this current run of BP, whether it be in the main BP book or in BP: World of Wakanda. Shuri appears to be getting the most character development she's had since she became a BP 7-8 years go, and her current character development might trump that too.

Concerning her portrayal in previous stories, Shuri showed up in the BP books at a time in which T'Challa and Storm were set to be married. Thus, both of those characters obviously got most of very strong majority of panel and development time. It's not until much later in the Hudlin run that we finally got some more development on Shuri's part.

That being said, Shuri has been getting character development during her reign, especially in the latter parts of the Hudlin run, the Mayberry run, the Liss run, and the Hickman run. She has a different leadership style than T'Challa. She has a much more antagonistic relationship with Namor than T'Challa does. She's more of a traditionalist than T'Challa is and her political views are more in line with the previews panthers than T'Challa's. I also wouldn't be surprised if she saw Captain America and the Avengers differently than T'Challa does.

If I may ask, how many stories featuring Shuri have you read?
    Honestly not that many, but I have read her portrayal in Doomwar.

I was wondering how does Shuri feel about T'challa's allies like the Fantastic Four and it seems that she's hostile towards the X-men given her conversation with Nightcrawler over how the aftermath will affect her reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly not that many, but I have read her portrayal in Doomwar.

I was wondering how does Shuri feel about T'challa's allies like the Fantastic Four and it seems that she's hostile towards the X-men given her conversation with Nightcrawler over how the aftermath will affect her reign.
    Doomwar...that explains a lot lol. Def not her worst portrayal, but it def could've been better. I would recommend that you check out the Liss run and the Hickman run (New Avengers and Time Runs Out in particular) to get more perspective on Shuri. You'll have a better idea of who she is at that point.

Shuri's foreign allies generally happen to be T'Challa's close friends or people that have a pretty good relationship with him. She usually doesn't seek foreign allies like that, which is more line with Wakanda's isolationist stance. Doesn't mean that she'll be automatically hostile towards them, as she has worked with foreigners in more than one occasion, when it benefits Wakanda of course.

Concerning the Fantastic Four, she's friendly to them being that they are T'Challa's longtime friends. Shuri turned to the Fantastic Four for assistance during Doomwar.

In Fantastic Four #606-607, the FF and kids (save Johnny and Ben) were invited by T'Challa to solve a problem, kinda mystical in nature. There was a big feast and Shuri, the queen at the time, showed no hostilities. She was actually a good host.

Soon after, Shuri, Sue Richards, and Storm embarked in a mystical journey to find an defeat a god-like being that has been antagonizing Wakanda, so she even has a working relationship as well, on more than one occasion.

As for Nightcrawler and the X-Men, it's isn't that she was hostile towards either of them during Doomwar, she did ask for their assistance after all. What you basically saw was a culture clash in the battlefield. Simply put, Shuri--and Wakandans in general--have a very different perspective when it comes to confronting their enemies, especially traitors.

Nightcrawler believes that Shuri shouldn't kill all of the Desturi and instead bring them to justice. Shuri believes that, due to the Desturi's treason, that line was crossed a long time ago and thus justice means death.

Add the fact that Wakandans are a proud people, and you get Shuri's reaction to a foreigner that isn't familiar with Wakandan culture and traditions trying to telling her how to solve a problem in her own country.
    Last edited by Realdealholy; 09-03-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Cap's file on Shuri.

A close up of one of my favorite Stelfreeze artworks...

By Mitch Breitweiser.

By George Kambadais.

Was re-reading Black Panther #8 not long ago, and one line in particular caught my eye...

"And I remember I have come to bring you back, in the full ambition that it is you who will bring all of us back."

Looks like one of my theories concerning Shuri's involvement in this season might come to light: T'Challa remains king, but Shuri is the one that ends the internal division in Wakanda.