Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Default #mutantworldbuilding

This is a thread dedicated to ideas, posts, queries, and discussions about what being a mutant in the world looks like, whether in our own world or in the MU. This thread is also for discussing the metaphorical themes of the X-Men books and how they relate to our society today.

It is a place to hold up the social mirror using the mutant race as a lens to view these issues. It's a place to discuss how their challenges as a race of people has evolved and what it looks like in a post RessureXion world.

What are social, institutional, systemic prejudices and how do you deal with them as a mutant in the MU?

This thread is about discussing mutant culture as well and what that looks like as well as mutant historical landmarks that have really impacted the way the world sees mutants.

This is a thread specifically used to world build the mutant race. so get into it.

That moment when you're with other mutants and they start using the word "flatscans" and you get uncomfortable....

I kind of think it's very similar to the black experience. I would imagine any talk of decimation is met with jeers and lets move on (like slavery and segregation) while 9/11 which happened 15 years ago is still treated as the worst thing to ever happen on American soil when in fact if you multiply it by the very small number of 4 you have 1956 where people were being treated as less for simply being born. which of course still happens today.

Not much imagining necessary to be honest.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

flatscans

10char

what about mutantcy as a metaphor for neuro-divergence or mental health issues and how that's treated in America?

Probably should have titled the thread: "The Social Psychology of Mutant Identity" or something along those lines. So you're more interested in "world building" in a social psychological and cultural sense? That's cool, because the outer structure, the "world building" of the sci-fi superhero universe is what Marvel does, but very few writers have the chance to dwell (like Claremont used to) on the sociology and psychology of being a mutant in the Marvel Universe. Which I guess at this point, faced with genocide and extinction twice, is currently a constantly activated sympathetic nervous system and a constant suppressed fear (fight or flight). After ResurreXion I think mutants are going to be needing therapy for PTSD before they can get their other issues straightened out. That is, if Marvel doesn't just wave away the shared universe, world-building, and continuous story that we've lived through with the X-MEN for the last few years and wipe their collective minds so they can go happy and dancing back into the 1990s, filling their stereotypical roles like automatons.

Sorry, it's late and I'm rambling. I like the idea of this thread, though.