Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Zenescope Co-Founders Discuss "Grimm Fairy Tales" #100, Controversial Covers

Joe Brusha and Ralph Tedesco celebrate 100 issues of "Grimm Fairy Tales," the Dark Queen's triumph and talk Zenescope's controversial covers.

Full article here.

Should be interesting how they wrap things up in #100 then close it up with Realm Knights and kind of restart with 101. I am very excited.

Spectacular Member

Bah, another reboot. I am more excited Realm War.

But atleast they are only rebooting after 100 issues not ever 15 or 20.

BANNED

Its unfortunate that comics such as this, written by Brusha and Tedesco, are often people's first introduction to Zenescope. They may be the founders but they are also their worst writers. They need to leave the writing to the writers like Raven Gregory and Pat Shand, who know what they are doing.

BANNED

I've Never read a single zenescope book and for good reason every time i ask about them i get little to no responses online and being unfamiliar with most of the writers/artists doesn't help either

I'm tempted to get into the newly launching series Grim Fairy Tales of terror since the solicits say it's inspired by stuff like Tales from the crypt....but i know how stupid it is to just blindly jump onto a book

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Strange I talked to the writer of Robyn Hood and he said they would never do a reboot. But I guess this is a soft reboot, but I don't know what that means. He said the characters history was still there. And they would never do a reboot.

Edit: So its more of a jumping on point then a reboot, everything still counts.

I tweeted Pat Shard who will be the new writer for GFT and the writer for the ongoing Robyn Hood.

@DylanDavison I'm writing GFT as of #101. It's emphatically not a reboot. Everything counts. They just meant that it's a jumping on point.
    Last edited by Dylan Davison; 07-03-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I could never get the moxy up to check any of their stuff out. The salacious covers really are a turn off. and it all comes off as a "me-too" following the success of Fables to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    I could never get the moxy up to check any of their stuff out. The salacious covers really are a turn off. and it all comes off as a "me-too" following the success of Fables to me.
    But they are nothing a like. The only thing they have in common is fairy tales in modern time.

But ya I agree, the covers are a big turn off for me, I only read Robyn Hood, but when I see the more nude versions of the covers it makes me shake my head, but then I picked one up at a friends house, a Robyn Hood issue, and read it and it turns out some of the characters and stories are very good. So I guess I don't judge a comic or comic character by its cover.
    Pulls:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
    Fables and Zenoscope approach it from completely different angles: Fables treats the popular impression of the origins (thanks to Disney et al.) as sacrosanct, and keeps them apart; Zenoscope turns the realms into different worlds that adhere to the dark tones of the source material but transform to fit the story of interaction with our modern world.

And as Power Torch says, Zenoscope proves you can't judge a book by its cover. Or the characters' uniforms. It's T&A in the tradition of a few years ago — and the variant covers are for a specific audience — but that's what's kept Zenoscope noticed at this point; but once you get past that, it's actually a very surprisingly fun franchise to read.

If you like Game Of Thrones and don't mind a little more skin, check out the darker Wonderland, modern take in Robyn Hood, or what's going on in the main series. Heck, check out their Oz books too — since they have a completely different follow up to Dorothy Jane and the others that turns it into a very modern fantasy series.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Its unfortunate that comics such as this, written by Brusha and Tedesco, are often people's first introduction to Zenescope. They may be the founders but they are also their worst writers. They need to leave the writing to the writers like Raven Gregory and Pat Shand, who know what they are doing.
    Pat Shand is a great writer. Robyn Hood has been a solid series only hampered by revolving artists. I hope to see more great things from him in the future.

Spectacular Member

Hey all!

First, thanks so much for the kind words everybody. I'm obviously super invested in Robyn Hood and her story, so I'm so thankful that you guys seem to be digging it. The first volume had two fill in artists, but I'm happy to say that now Larry Watts, my favorite artist working, has been the ongoing Robyn Hood artist since the second volume, and we're about to start up an ongoing series together! It's in Previews now, and I hope y'all give me some love.

But I came to clarify something here. The word "reboot" is scary -- as a comic book lover, I know that. I can promise that "Grimm Fairy Tales" is not doing what "reboot" implies. I'm writing the series as of #101, and it is emphatically not a reboot. Everything that happens matters. Ralph and Joe just wanted to emphasize that what we're doing is a new story arc with a new jumping on point. It's not a redo, it's just a completely different take on the series, and I hope you'll give it a chance.

Again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickShand View Post
    Hey all!

First, thanks so much for the kind words everybody. I'm obviously super invested in Robyn Hood and her story, so I'm so thankful that you guys seem to be digging it. The first volume had two fill in artists, but I'm happy to say that now Larry Watts, my favorite artist working, has been the ongoing Robyn Hood artist since the second volume, and we're about to start up an ongoing series together! It's in Previews now, and I hope y'all give me some love.

But I came to clarify something here. The word "reboot" is scary -- as a comic book lover, I know that. I can promise that "Grimm Fairy Tales" is not doing what "reboot" implies. I'm writing the series as of #101, and it is emphatically not a reboot. Everything that happens matters. Ralph and Joe just wanted to emphasize that what we're doing is a new story arc with a new jumping on point. It's not a redo, it's just a completely different take on the series, and I hope you'll give it a chance.

Again, thanks!
    Glad to see your here and glad to hear that! I was glad when you tweeted me back with that as well. Reboots are scary and I am glad this is not what we thought it was. I can't wait to see what going down!
    Pulls:

I may check out GFT 101 if its a jump on point. Tried it before but it didnt stick. With Shand writing i may be more invested.
    Gotta get back into Wonderland at some point too...

I been waiting for a good jumping on point. Can't wait to get started with this.