Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comics Paper Quality

I was at my LCS the other day and we got into a discussion about the paper quality of comics and were really impressed by Image's quality of paper. The colors are very vibrant, and the books feel sturdy. Compared to Marvel and DC (excluding Batman) Image and even IDW are blowing the majors out of the water in terms of paper quality. What do you guys think?

I feel the same way. I think Dark Horse right now has the best presentation. The glossy and sturdy pages makes the colors look so vibrant and beautiful. I just love how my comics look with these publishers. I really despise the paper quality on marvel. I had the same conversation with a shop owner recently and we both feel the same way. The paper quality in marvel floppies are so awful that I can't bring myself to buy any of their floppies. The paper stock is razor thin and so are it's covers. It feels like I have a real cheap product on my hands when reading them.

Image also has 2 different formats, the glossy pages and also the Skybound format where it's matte (books like Manifest Destiny). I prefer the glossy pages format, books like Rat Queens and Saga. The glossy pages just makes the artwork standout, looks just beautiful.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I noticed this a few years ago. Marvel and DC raised their prices, cut their page count from 22 to 21, AND they have really cheap feeling, flimsy paper. All the comics I've bought from Image had a very high quality feel to them, and the coloring in all issues is very vibrant. Most of the DC titles seem like they have the same colorist for all their books.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

lower paper quality allows for more revenue but overall comic quality drops.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

I'm actually unfamiliar with this. What can I do to evaluate or check anything in regards to paper quality?

I seem to recall someone (maybe Matt Fraction?) mentioning that creators have a lot more influence over at Image, so they can also decide what type of paperstock gets used. Saga probably stands out with its super high glossy paper, but I seem to remember that Pretty Deadly for example feels slightly less smooth? Still nowhere near the Marvel levels of course, it's perfectly fine but I think there might be a sliiiight difference in glossyness. Perhaps because Pretty Deadly uses much more dark inks, so the almost shiny paper used for Saga would diminish the colouring?

Boom! uses different paper too, they have slightly sturdier covers (very noticeable on Lumberjanes and The Last Broadcast). Not sure which I prefer, I kinda like those little differences. Aside from the Marvel ones, I'm also not toooo keen on what Vertigo seem to use. I read Trillium recently and that's printed on high glossy paper too, but somehow it feels a little thinner than what you tend to see at Image. The issues just felt a lot 'floppier', for lack of a better word. :P

Also did anyone notice the recent trend in Marvel trades? They seem a lot thinner these days, or does it just look that way because the font and logo on the spine are smaller now? Or because issues have less pages than they used to?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Badguy View Post
    I'm actually unfamiliar with this. What can I do to evaluate or check anything in regards to paper quality?
    I think a lot of it is down to personal preference, but if you're able to compare a few different comics (maybe at a store) a few things will stand out. Try feeling a copy of Saga (very glossy) and then compare it with a Marvel comic, like Ultimate Spider-Man or whatever. The Marvel ones tend to have more texture and feel a little rougher, like it's lower quality paper. Although I seem to remember them being 'better' in the past?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Incredible Member

I have spoken about this many times. Image books are better for so many reasons, one of which is the paper quality. The interior pages have better paper quality than the Marvel covers. Also, no ads interrupting the story...they are all in the back. Finally, no bar codes or ads about the latest marvel initiative clogging the cover art.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I have spoken about this many times. Image books are better for so many reasons, one of which is the paper quality. The interior pages have better paper quality than the Marvel covers. Also, no ads interrupting the story...they are all in the back. Finally, no bar codes or ads about the latest marvel initiative clogging the cover art.
    Yeah LOL, I hate that big fat #1 NOW initiative on the front cover of marvels. Just so ugly and insulting. DC uses some really nice glossy cover stock for their 3.99 books, looks really great. Their interior pages are thin tough. I think Dark Horse should be commended for putting out such great quality, you can see it in their deluxe collections too. Just beautiful paper used.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    I seem to recall someone (maybe Matt Fraction?) mentioning that creators have a lot more influence over at Image, so they can also decide what type of paperstock gets used. Saga probably stands out with its super high glossy paper, but I seem to remember that Pretty Deadly for example feels slightly less smooth? Still nowhere near the Marvel levels of course, it's perfectly fine but I think there might be a sliiiight difference in glossyness. Perhaps because Pretty Deadly uses much more dark inks, so the almost shiny paper used for Saga would diminish the colouring?

Boom! uses different paper too, they have slightly sturdier covers (very noticeable on Lumberjanes and The Last Broadcast). Not sure which I prefer, I kinda like those little differences. Aside from the Marvel ones, I'm also not toooo keen on what Vertigo seem to use. I read Trillium recently and that's printed on high glossy paper too, but somehow it feels a little thinner than what you tend to see at Image. The issues just felt a lot 'floppier', for lack of a better word. :P

Also did anyone notice the recent trend in Marvel trades? They seem a lot thinner these days, or does it just look that way because the font and logo on the spine are smaller now? Or because issues have less pages than they used to?

I think a lot of it is down to personal preference, but if you're able to compare a few different comics (maybe at a store) a few things will stand out. Try feeling a copy of Saga (very glossy) and then compare it with a Marvel comic, like Ultimate Spider-Man or whatever. The Marvel ones tend to have more texture and feel a little rougher, like it's lower quality paper. Although I seem to remember them being 'better' in the past?

I agree there's definitely different grades of paper being used by Image. Starlight, Saga & Revival all use the glossy, heavy coated paper stock. Pretty Deadly, Rocket Girl and Lazarus use a slightly lighter, semi-gloss paper stock. Fatale, Shutter, Wicked + Divine all use a matte, heavy white base stock which best suits the bright colors and saturation of inks on those titles. There's no hard set price difference amongst the different stocks (e.g. Lazarus will go up to $3.50 soon like the matte books). I think my favorite paper is still the matte stock just because it allows the greatest angle of viewing with no glare.

Vertigo and most of the DC books use that lighter glossy stock which is just serviceable. DC's thicker cardstock covers on 3.99 books almost make up for the lack of heavier weight/grade paper.

Marvel floppies are definitely the worst. Very flimsy, light, paper that somehow manages to hold not just the inks but any moisture in the air, resulting in a rippled effect across the pages.

Marvel trades vary depending on printing date and type of book. Most recent Marvel TPBs have a semi-gloss paper stock slightly thicker than the floppies. I've noticed many MMW books use a white matte paper stock that approximates what the old baxter paper reprint books of the 1980s (nostalgia!). If you ever check the Marvel Collected editions thread you may see some age old arguments and observations about paper quality. Some exaggerations courtesy of some board vets as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I love that there are no ads interrupting the story, to me it makes things so much more enjoyable. I guess the only downside is that because of that I tend to get enthralled in the story,and blow through the issue. I really don't think comics should have ads, unless it's at the back of the book. Major companies make so revenue off merchandise and licensing that ads in a Marvel/DC comics seem primitive.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    I love that there are no ads interrupting the story, to me it makes things so much more enjoyable. I guess the only downside is that because of that I tend to get enthralled in the story,and blow through the issue. I really don't think comics should have ads, unless it's at the back of the book. Major companies make so revenue off merchandise and licensing that ads in a Marvel/DC comics seem primitive.
    I would argue that ads are still necessary for periodical comics as they are for magazines but since most advertising in Big 2 comics are in-house, you're right they can mostly be done away with.

As for the paper quality issue, yeah, Image and Dark Horse both use great quality paper, even if they do vary from title to title. DC's paper quality is largely below average but Marvel's is pretty much inexcusable, especially for the amount they charge.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Incredible Member

I am not currently reading any Dark Horse or Boom titles, but if there paper quality is similar to Image's I may need to get a list of quality titles to check out from those companies. How does Vertigo paper quality compare with Image's? I am reading Fables and American Vampire in hardcover.

I find Oni's paper quality on The Sixth Gun to be solid, too.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Boom Titles paper quality varies from comic to comic. Most of the time its nice card stock and thick inside paper, but every so often you get the same paper stock cover as inside paper stock.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

I really agree IDW, Dark Horse and Image (in that order) have the best quality in their print comics, period. I wish the so called industry leaders would take a cue from them.

Having said that, DC's printing is not bad; it is somewhat lighter stock but their inks are solid and the books feel sturdy enough, and their $3.99 books have really good cover quality.

Dynamite and Valiant have pretty good print quality as well, I'd say its about on par or just a maybe touch above DC's $2.99 books.

But Marvel - ugh! Flimsy paper, and I have how the ink runs when holding them... I now have quite a few recent comics with my fingerprints to prove they are mine. And the worst part is NO ONE at Marvel will acknowledge it or even attempt to provide any sort of explanation, so I'm definitely going cut back on their books in the near future and just keep the books I consider essential.