View Poll Results: Which is the best Superman Costume?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kirk Alyn

0 0%
  • George Reeves

2 3.92%
  • Christopher Reeve

15 29.41%
  • Dean Cain

3 5.88%
  • Brandon Routh

4 7.84%
  • Henry Cavill

25 49.02%
  • Tyler Hoechlin

2 3.92%
  • Tom Welling

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Which is the best Superman Costume?

Which is the best Superman Costume?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

this is the easiest one yet. Cavill followed by Routh.

Incredible Member

Reeve (being the best onscreen version of the classic) followed by Cavill (being by far the best attempt at a trunksless version). Honourable mention to Routh's, which gets far too much hate. Hoechlin's is good except for the boots and that damn awful cape attachment.

BANNED

Tom Welling had a Superman costume?

Retired

I thought the Brandon Routh costume was the best, with the George Reeves costume being the second best.

I hate the chest emblem on every live screen version of the costume--why do they have to monkey with the classic S design? But on the Routh costume it sits nicely on his chest and isn't too big--which I prefer.

The costume fits well on Routh's body--which is the problem with all the other costumes before Routh. Christopher Reeve's costume would be so much better now, because they would make sure that it fit his body--but as it was the costume fit too loose on Reeve. George Reeves had a much snugger fit with his costume and that looks much more like what the costume should. Cavill's is too snug--it looks painful for the actor to wear it, I worry for his health.

The colour seems to be the big issue with Routh's costume for some people. But really, I thnk the colour reads well on screen. Comic book colouring transferred to movies is just too garish, so you need to mute those colours a bit and the oxblood with the sky blue looks fine. But the colour on the Cavill is too dark and dirty--it looks like Superman has been rooting around in a New York dumpster and cleaning out a London chimney, just before going into action.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
    Reeve (being the best onscreen version of the classic) followed by Cavill (being by far the best attempt at a trunksless version). Honourable mention to Routh's, which gets far too much hate. Hoechlin's is good except for the boots and that damn awful cape attachment.
    Yeah, I don't think hoechlin looks good at all, but could probably pass for Superman if it weren't for the cape.

Routh, like Jim said, has a very well fitting costume. He doesn't have the stretched shield or colors straight from the comics, so it loses the cheese that his predecessors had. My only problem is that there's zero context in story for it. The best you could figure is "because it's Donner Superman " but it isn't the same thing anyway, so then what? Why is he dressed like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Tom Welling had a Superman costume?
    I guess that time he spray painted an S on a black shirt.

BANNED

Overall, I think Cavill has the best suit. Although I think he's way over-buffed for Superman. And he's ironically one of my least favorite Supermen.

Hoechlin has the better size - as did Routh and Reeve - but the weird cape buckles kill it for me.

Honorable mention to Cain. If people insist on going with a red-pants costume, his, with the giant S across his chest was the best.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I grew up with Dean Cain so I voted for his one, I freely admit my vote is down to nostalgia

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Reeve, with Cain in a close second.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Tough one. I actually liked Routh's suit just for the belt buckle but I also liked Hoechlin's precisely for the cape clips.
    Assassinate Putin!

If we're going to do this, let's have a picture to compare them all.

I've included BOTH Welling's Superman costumes.

... now that I finished, I realize I probably should have also included both the costumes worn in Man of Steel AND Batman vs Superman, as they did change them around slightly.

For larger image http://i.imgur.com/wrNHba1.png
    Last edited by Alan2099; 11-27-2016 at 10:07 PM.

I don't like how there is an 'S' on Routh's belt. Its just redundant, like we're gonna miss the big red S on his chest. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Retired

It's the scourge of departmental employment. The costume designer has to submit designs to get work. So something in the costume has to be an original invention. Slavishly following the designs in the comics and bringing those to life runs contrary to the costume designer's need to be original. That's how I explain to myself all these werid embellishments on the costume. It's not an improvement--but it's the way for that designer to say "I did this--now pay me."

I went with Christopher Reeve. He is live action Superman to me.

Who's that in-between Caville and the two Tom Wellings?