Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I like his look as is.

Hated the trunks.

I'd be happy but not entirely satisfied either way honestly.

If the bring back the classic suit, then they need to adjust the texture. Add a glow effect inside the shield or something. The real issue with the classic costume isnt the red trunks, its the fact that most artists draw and color it like a cheap Halloween costume when all of Clark's peers and allies are wearing cinema-quality designs. It makes Clark look like a chump. And no, the "His mom made it!!" thing isn't a viable excuse. Its actually a great way to make sure Superman doesnt gain new fans. Terrible marketing for the target demographic (unless you believe the target demo is middle aged virgins living in basements, which I dont). So bring back the classic costume, but do something with the material and texture so it doesnt look so terribly outdated and out of place.

If they keep the current look, I'd like to see them tweak it a lot. There are a few anomalies in the aesthetic that need to be corrected before this costume can claim to be well done. First off, the wrist bands are fine but there's nothing else like them anywhere on the costume. So add some elsewhere. Secondly, that belt is abysmal. It's not well designed, it doesnt stand out, and there's no visual correlation to any other element of the costume either, unless you want to argue that the sharp point at the bottom of the "S" shield is enough to justify the diamond buckle. And finally, bring back the red boots. I shouldnt have to explain why on this one.

Honestly, the re-design with the yellow belt they were floating around last summer during the Rebirth announcements was a better design than what we ended up with, and I'd like to see that used over either the classic or current designs.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now that we have a more classic Superman back, with a more classic look back, should he also get the trunks and boots back? Make it official?
    Yes, the sooner the better. I miss the classic costume.

Yes, I'd love to see the classic suit back. Given recent interviews, most of the people currently on the Super-books prefer the classic suit as well.

If trunks were such a big deal, the Batman: Arkham games would have flopped - Batman in his blue-black armor-panties. lol... but nobody said a peep about that, even as they were lambasting Superman for it.

That said, I like the Rebirth suit very much. I would argue that they should make the belt both red and yellow, and either make the boots red or the blue a bit darker than most do, but that's about it.

But the classic suit is dynamic, vivid and bright, which both fits Superman's personality and distracts would-be criminals by making him a "big colorful target". Maybe when the world is a more optimistic place, he can return to that classic suit. Maybe keep the cuffs on the wrists, though, I kinda dig those.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I don't think its coming back even for the anniversary. I mean, would there be symbolism in going back to it for the end of Superman Reborn and/or Rebirth? Definitely. But I still don't see it happening. Again, because of WB and the DCCU.

Its not a big deal, and it never was a big deal, but all the same, I don't think WB wants Superman associated with "underwear on the outside" anymore as long as they want to capitalize on him on the silver screen.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-28-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think WB wants Superman associated with "underwear on the outside" anymore as long as they want to capitalize on him on the silver screen.
    I do agree that this is likely their thinking... and the irony of them thinking that would be what'd sink the DCEU is kinda hilarious, when you think about how things have gone thus far for them.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now that we have a more classic Superman back, with a more classic look back, should he also get the trunks and boots back? Make it official?
    I say hell yes !!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I don't know if DC has plans to bring the classic suit back into active duty, but I'm glad that REBIRTH has at least brought it back to Superman's personal history. I would venture if DC does decide to revive the classic suit, they'll do it at the end of REBIRTH: what better way of stating that DC is returning to its roots than having its flagship character reclaim his classic look?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The question is basically should Superman be allowed to evolve? It seems is not enough to make him a dad and chain him to Lois. He now has to wear his underwear in the outside.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

I've always liked the classic suit. So I wouldn't mind if it came back. Though really, the Rebirth suit he's wearing now is pretty good too. I think, like others have said, that if you make the boots red it would really improve the look. The "belt" could use a little help too, but it doesn't bother me. So what he's wearing now is Superman enough for me. I think that superhero suits are just moving away from that classic strong man look. If Superman is going to be billed as the man of tomorrow, then updating the suit seems to fit. So if they keep the current suit but stick with the idea that he used to wear the classic suit, that's good enough for me. As long as the classic is part of his history, I'm a happy camper.

Retired

Even though there seems to be a non-pelvic-coverings policy at DC and Marvel, it's just not in fact real. A lot of super-heroes and super-villains have pelvic coverings. Sometimes they're the same colour as the rest of the armour as with new Blue Beetle or New 52 Superman. Sometimes they're cod-pieces on the outside as with Red Robin or Superman Lex Luthor. A lot of the time the female characters get away with wearing the pelvic coverings, because they're women. DC and Marvel artists will draw lines on the costumes that make it look like there must be something to support the pelvic area. Most readers turn a blind eye to all these "underpants on the outside" (as the haters like to put it).

I don't think folks are against covering up Superman's trunk. They seem to be against covering it with red. If it were black, blue, purple or brown--I'm guessing they'd be fine with that. If it were an armour plate or a cod-piece they'd accept that, too. If Superman was wearing thigh high boots that came up nearly to his crotch, they'd probably welcome that also (see Superwoman Lana Lang). And why is it always about Superman and not every other comic book character? At all the assorted comic book publishers, for seventy-odd years. there have been thousands of super-heroes and super-villains wearing trunks of all hue over their junks--but it's just the Caped Kryptonian who is blasted for covering his man-parts.

BANNED

Please, God, no.

I have night terrors to this day of the playground taunts of, "If he's so super, how come he can't put his pants (underwear) on right?".

It's fashion from a by-gone era and just another stick for non-comic folk to hit you with. You stroll out the store, your arms full of spandex clad men with their pants on outside their trousers.

It's unnecessary.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    The question is basically should Superman be allowed to evolve? It seems is not enough to make him a dad and chain him to Lois. He now has to wear his underwear in the outside.
    If Superman hadn't been allowed to evolve, he never would've married Lois or had a son in the first place. He would be stuck in the same cycle of pining for Lois...like the New 52 Superman was when the New 52 started.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    If Superman hadn't been allowed to evolve, he never would've married Lois or had a son in the first place. He would be stuck in the same cycle of pining for Lois...like the New 52 Superman was when the New 52 started.
    Going back to Lois is devolution. Superman is much more than dating or marrying Lois. And more than having his underwear in the outside of his pants.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd be happy but not entirely satisfied either way honestly.

If the bring back the classic suit, then they need to adjust the texture. Add a glow effect inside the shield or something. The real issue with the classic costume isnt the red trunks, its the fact that most artists draw and color it like a cheap Halloween costume when all of Clark's peers and allies are wearing cinema-quality designs. It makes Clark look like a chump. And no, the "His mom made it!!" thing isn't a viable excuse. Its actually a great way to make sure Superman doesnt gain new fans. Terrible marketing for the target demographic (unless you believe the target demo is middle aged virgins living in basements, which I dont). So bring back the classic costume, but do something with the material and texture so it doesnt look so terribly outdated and out of place.

If they keep the current look, I'd like to see them tweak it a lot. There are a few anomalies in the aesthetic that need to be corrected before this costume can claim to be well done. First off, the wrist bands are fine but there's nothing else like them anywhere on the costume. So add some elsewhere. Secondly, that belt is abysmal. It's not well designed, it doesnt stand out, and there's no visual correlation to any other element of the costume either, unless you want to argue that the sharp point at the bottom of the "S" shield is enough to justify the diamond buckle. And finally, bring back the red boots. I shouldnt have to explain why on this one.

Honestly, the re-design with the yellow belt they were floating around last summer during the Rebirth announcements was a better design than what we ended up with, and I'd like to see that used over either the classic or current designs.
    i think there are way too many Leaguers with glow-in-the-dark suits than there should be already (Flash, Shazam and of course GL).