Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should Supeman get the classic suit back?

Now that we have a more classic Superman back, with a more classic look back, should he also get the trunks and boots back? Make it official?
    Assassinate Putin!

I'd like the red boots back eventually but I'm fine with the trunks staying gone. It took nearly 80 years but, despite the question of whether it even needed to be done in the first place, the trunks look has been completely phased out of the superhero genre. There's no need for Superman to have them anymore when he's operated just fine without them for over 5 years now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ordinarily I would be for it, but I think right now we have a pretty good, standard, Superman look that's classic enough for the foreseeable future even without the trunks (though he could use some red boots ).

Incredible Member

I'm with all these dudes. I'd always considered myself a traditionalist when it comes to the suit (and I'd take it back in a GODDAMN HEARTBEAT), but at that point I'd never seen a worthy, trunkless design to replace it. Now, IMO, there's two-- the BvS suit (in spite of the rest of that depiction being blah as hell) is a fantastic rendition of a reinvented Supersuit, with the Rebirth version being close behind. Give him the red boots back (and maybe change his belt to yellow... effectively making it a simplified version of the BvS suit, but with a yellow S on the cape... But I digress) and I'd be just fine with it being the knew standard going forward.

But let me reiterate: Classic is and always will be my Number 1 choice.

i'd rather they just make the belt yellow and keep the boots red. I don't really care for the trunks.

Retired

It seems like every time they tweak it, it gets a little closer to the classic costume. So it's like why not just go back to that costume?

Or let every artist do the costume they want to do. Give them that freedom. I can believe that Superman has a hundred different versions of his costume hanging in his closets. It feels weird seeing an artist like Gary Frank, for example, draw a Superman costume that doesn't fit his style. Frank likes to do all those folds and stitching.

If it was me and I got my dream job of drawing Superman, but I couldn't draw the Superman of my dreams, that would be like some weird nightmare scenario.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    i'd rather they just make the belt yellow and keep the boots red. I don't really care for the trunks.
    Yeah, a yellow/golden belt would be a good idea. Beyond that, this old-time Supes fan is happy with the new look. It just looks much cooler to me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Now that we have a more classic Superman back, with a more classic look back, should he also get the trunks and boots back? Make it official?
    Yes, the sooner the better. I miss the classic costume.

Yes, I'd love to see the classic suit back. Given recent interviews, most of the people currently on the Super-books prefer the classic suit as well.

If trunks were such a big deal, the Batman: Arkham games would have flopped - Batman in his blue-black armor-panties. lol... but nobody said a peep about that, even as they were lambasting Superman for it.

That said, I like the Rebirth suit very much. I would argue that they should make the belt both red and yellow, and either make the boots red or the blue a bit darker than most do, but that's about it.

But the classic suit is dynamic, vivid and bright, which both fits Superman's personality and distracts would-be criminals by making him a "big colorful target". Maybe when the world is a more optimistic place, he can return to that classic suit. Maybe keep the cuffs on the wrists, though, I kinda dig those.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I don't think its coming back even for the anniversary. I mean, would there be symbolism in going back to it for the end of Superman Reborn and/or Rebirth? Definitely. But I still don't see it happening. Again, because of WB and the DCCU.

Its not a big deal, and it never was a big deal, but all the same, I don't think WB wants Superman associated with "underwear on the outside" anymore as long as they want to capitalize on him on the silver screen.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-28-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think WB wants Superman associated with "underwear on the outside" anymore as long as they want to capitalize on him on the silver screen.
    I do agree that this is likely their thinking... and the irony of them thinking that would be what'd sink the DCEU is kinda hilarious, when you think about how things have gone thus far for them.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I say hell yes !!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I don't know if DC has plans to bring the classic suit back into active duty, but I'm glad that REBIRTH has at least brought it back to Superman's personal history. I would venture if DC does decide to revive the classic suit, they'll do it at the end of REBIRTH: what better way of stating that DC is returning to its roots than having its flagship character reclaim his classic look?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The question is basically should Superman be allowed to evolve? It seems is not enough to make him a dad and chain him to Lois. He now has to wear his underwear in the outside.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

I've always liked the classic suit. So I wouldn't mind if it came back. Though really, the Rebirth suit he's wearing now is pretty good too. I think, like others have said, that if you make the boots red it would really improve the look. The "belt" could use a little help too, but it doesn't bother me. So what he's wearing now is Superman enough for me. I think that superhero suits are just moving away from that classic strong man look. If Superman is going to be billed as the man of tomorrow, then updating the suit seems to fit. So if they keep the current suit but stick with the idea that he used to wear the classic suit, that's good enough for me. As long as the classic is part of his history, I'm a happy camper.