Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah, that was the weird thing to me, too. Just fix the colors and it seems like it'd give a much different impression. Digging the 'S' into a belt without making it seem like a real buckle could have been scrapped. But the basic idea of what Routh had going on was a clever, noninvasive tweak.

Along the same lines, I liked what the legendary Neal Adams came up with when he was given a little bit of personal space.

With the black around the 'S' and the belt into a metal look of the belt. I suppose putting his wannabes in high collars was coincidental, haha.
    True - I think the S on the belt bothers me more on the SR suit just because there are "S"s everywhere - the boot-back, the texture pattern, even the heel print. That's waaay too much accessorizing for me.

On the colors, here's a few: first, the original... then with just the red fixed, then with the blue darkened to fully reverse which color is highlighted:
    superman-costume-comparison.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

For some reason, it attached the original Routh pic large and won't let me delete it.. not sure why. Very odd!
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    One thing I just thought about for consideration: the more detailed and complicated costumes get, the more Superman's usual suit becomes rife for "folklore-vibe" by comparison. That could work as well. Especially in the hands of a Frank Quietly or a Tim Sale.
    That's a good point actually.

But I think you'd have to be careful about how you pull it off and make sure you have the right talent on hand. I think the classic, unaltered/tweaked suit could evoke that "blue collar" feel....but if the artist misses the mark, Clark just looks cheap. And if the writer doesn't lean into it the right way, Clark just comes off as ridiculous, like a child in a business suit telling his parents about stock options and mutual funds.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    This may help...
    Attachment 60086
    I didn't include the earlier versions 1938-40 since they were really crude works in progress!

I like that the Man of Steel Crest is basically a modernized version of the 41 crest. And people say Snyder didn't do his homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That's a good point actually.

But I think you'd have to be careful about how you pull it off and make sure you have the right talent on hand. I think the classic, unaltered/tweaked suit could evoke that "blue collar" feel....but if the artist misses the mark, Clark just looks cheap. And if the writer doesn't lean into it the right way, Clark just comes off as ridiculous, like a child in a business suit telling his parents about stock options and mutual funds.
    Good points there, too! Ok, using those parameters, what do you have in mind for artist or writer notes as far as Superman goes? Clean/smooth lines, or more realistic (boot folds, etc)? That kinda thing. I could see a case for both,

And a HEAVY dose of Fleischer influence. That feels very "Paul Bunyan in a cape", the more I think about it. And honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it - and the more I think it would resonate, especially today.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Why not choose both like the Adventures of Superman episode called "The Deadly Rock" - which had Superman extended his invulnerability aura to an unconscious person who was; Slugged, Stabbed with a knitting needle, and Shot at point blank range.

Grant Morrison also explored this "Bio-Electric Aura" in All Star Superman

The absence of Yellow in the symbol makes it looks "not right" - I wish they'd color it in, unless they, "the producers" are trying to be different for what ever reason, that is known only to them.

Although, Supergirl's "S" would work on the back of the cape nicely

That's logical - I give M.B. a lot of credit, as she is not afraid to "mix it up" alright as the last "mid season finale" proved out ala Reign recently.
    I like the missing Gold cause she's not a child of the first born like Kal-El is, She's Zor-El's kid so no gold. The Gold should signify the First born of a family. Kind of like pointing out THIS is the HEIR. Say if William and Harry where Kryptonian. William would get yellow in his shield while Harry would not. Remember that this is an Alien Culture, let it be Alien. To us it's the color Blue but to them it's Vrstr-gz-rd.

Retired

Even though there were alternative versions, the classic S shield has always been around since 1944. Sure, during that time, inkers might have rendered it slightly different--but before computers invaded comics books, the inkers did everything manually and no two people will delineate a design 100% the same. The classic S was even around when Superman wasn't wearing it in the mainstream comics, because other characters like Superboy and Supergirl had the classic S design.

And 73 years is a long time for a symbol to stick around.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 12-31-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Good points there, too! Ok, using those parameters, what do you have in mind for artist or writer notes as far as Superman goes? Clean/smooth lines, or more realistic (boot folds, etc)? That kinda thing. I could see a case for both,
    It would depend on the story in question. If you're going for a more sci-fi, high concept story, then you should probably do a more sci-fi, high concept costume with unique textures and other "cosmic" type elements. The MoS movie suit wouldn't be out of place in such a tale, nor would the design I posted a page or three back with the glow effects. If you're going for a more grounded kind of story, something along the lines of the Triangle era or the Fleischer cartoons, then you want to do realistic costumes with folds and wrinkles in the material, etc.

Of course, you could always switch those elements out to provide a contrast too, so its all about what the story is trying to say.

The only note I would give my talent is to make Clark's costume look modern, through whatever means suited their skill and the nature of the narrative. What that actually looks like is a very open concept. Basically, I suppose the only real rule I would have is "no simple, boring spandex." Nothing in comics says "generic" like spandex with no detail or depth given to it. That sort of thing does not provide the "so badass he owns the room even when in rags" mentality, nor the "so badass he has miniature suns sewn into his costume" vibe.

And a HEAVY dose of Fleischer influence. That feels very "Paul Bunyan in a cape", the more I think about it. And honestly, the more I think about it, the more I like it - and the more I think it would resonate, especially today.
    Well, I think you can never go wrong when pulling from Fleischer.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

i think this one was the best compromise in the possible new superman outfits, a pity it was not implemented

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It would depend on the story in question. If you're going for a more sci-fi, high concept story, then you should probably do a more sci-fi, high concept costume with unique textures and other "cosmic" type elements. The MoS movie suit wouldn't be out of place in such a tale, nor would the design I posted a page or three back with the glow effects. If you're going for a more grounded kind of story, something along the lines of the Triangle era or the Fleischer cartoons, then you want to do realistic costumes with folds and wrinkles in the material, etc.

Of course, you could always switch those elements out to provide a contrast too, so its all about what the story is trying to say.

The only note I would give my talent is to make Clark's costume look modern, through whatever means suited their skill and the nature of the narrative. What that actually looks like is a very open concept. Basically, I suppose the only real rule I would have is "no simple, boring spandex." Nothing in comics says "generic" like spandex with no detail or depth given to it. That sort of thing does not provide the "so badass he owns the room even when in rags" mentality, nor the "so badass he has miniature suns sewn into his costume" vibe.
    I can see that. Something I just thought of, might be crazy... I wonder what a sort of "stretch denim" in the medium royal blue would look like? It would have a thicker texture, but still hug muscle since it's a thinner stretch stuff.

For generic, in live that would depend on the actor as some can pull it off on sheer charisma, but for comics.. yeah, some kind of texture wouldn't be bad. Even taking texture out of it, just good shading/shadowing can really bring it to life. Other than a lack of trunks and classic belt, Superman's current costume is basically his original. So it might not have as much to do with the costume textures as it would how they draw the man himself. Which makes sense: "bada$$ even in rags" by definition would have more to do with the look of the man than what he's wearing.. Kinda like that movie with The Rock in a pink tutu - it's still Dwayne Johnson. (as a "for instance" lol)

Well, I think you can never go wrong when pulling from Fleischer.
    So true.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I like the missing Gold cause she's not a child of the first born like Kal-El is, She's Zor-El's kid so no gold. The Gold should signify the First born of a family. Kind of like pointing out THIS is the HEIR. Say if William and Harry where Kryptonian. William would get yellow in his shield while Harry would not. Remember that this is an Alien Culture, let it be Alien. To us it's the color Blue but to them it's Vrstr-gz-rd.
    The gold is the \S/ in the Supergirl Rebirth comic books though. Even though the costume is otherwise almost exactly the same. I think on TV it is just supposed to be sort of a homemade costume.
    It was sort of a work in progress that got refined as Winn and Kara went along. If you go back to the TV Supergirl pilot episode, Winn created her costume but he didn't put the \S/ on it. Supergirl's
    first foray out as a superhero didn't even have the cape until Winn realized a cape aided in aerodynamics. And still didn't have the \S/ when Supergirl stopped the bank robbers. The \S/ was something
    Kara added as a final touch and it was probably cut out of a piece of material she had laying around the apartment. I don't think paternal birth order even occurred to Kara when she added the \S/.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The gold is the \S/ in the Supergirl Rebirth comic books though. Even though the costume is otherwise almost exactly the same. I think on TV it is just supposed to be sort of a homemade costume.
    It was sort of a work in progress that got refined as Winn and Kara went along. If you go back to the TV Supergirl pilot episode, Winn created her costume but he didn't put the \S/ on it. Supergirl's
    first foray out as a superhero didn't even have the cape until Winn realized a cape aided in aerodynamics. And still didn't have the \S/ when Supergirl stopped the bank robbers. The \S/ was something
    Kara added as a final touch and it was probably cut out of a piece of material she had laying around the apartment. I don't think paternal birth order even occurred to Kara when she added the \S/.
    That's what I'm saying I think it should, just like saying the S stands for "Better Together". Each Earth could have different cultural reason's for doing things. Besides it makes Superman just that much more Special even though it's not his show. Dilly dilly.

Haha.....Vrstr....looks like someone has a decoder-ring

A Ranking hierarchy system of sorts hmm...that never occurred to me...Intriguing Idea, at least this could be a reason and I give you credit as such, as with Kryptonian background, it is still mostly open to interpretation - who really knows of their customs and means...maybe will all find out more on that new Krypton Show on Syfy
    |
    Getting back to birth order - on the show- it is depicted as Kara being older as Kal was just a baby at the time of Krypton's demise....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Even though there were alternative versions, the classic S shield has always been around since 1944. Sure, during that time, inkers might have rendered it slightly different--but before computers invaded comics books, the inkers did everything manually and no two people will delineate a design 100% the same. The classic S was even around when Superman wasn't wearing it in the mainstream comics, because other characters like Superboy and Supergirl had the classic S design.

And 73 years is a long time for a symbol to stick around.
    Correct- and up until recently it was a perfect geometric diamond...Just reinforces the reason and fact that 'classic look' should NOT be touched, it is enduring...

Here's to another 73!

I like that the Man of Steel Crest is basically a modernized version of the 41 crest. And people say Snyder didn't do his homework.
    This version is has filtered down the new Krypton Show as well
    Last edited by jimmy; 12-31-2017 at 02:07 AM.

That's what I'm saying I think it should, just like saying the S stands for "Better Together". Each Earth could have different cultural reason's for doing things. Besides it makes Superman just that much more Special even though it's not his show. Dilly dilly.
    Actually TV Supergirl said the \S/ stood for El mayarah. It just translates into "Stronger Together". Has Superman ever said what the \S/ is in Kryptonese? Superman says the \S/ stands for "Hope" in Man of Steel.
    In Justice League Superman says it is supposed to wind like a river, it comes and goes. But I don't recall him using a Kryptonese word for it.

Haha.....Vrstr....looks like someone has a decoder-ring

A Ranking hierarchy system of sorts hmm...that never occurred to me...Intriguing Idea, at least this could be a reason and I give you credit as such, as with Kryptonian background, it is still mostly open to interpretation - who really knows of their customs and means...maybe will all find out more on that new Krypton Show on Syfy
    |
    Getting back to birth order - on the show- it is depicted as Kara being older as Kal was just a baby at the time of Krypton's demise....
    I think Lokimaru meant the Jor-El is the older brother while Zor-El is the younger brother so Jor-El's family gets first dibs on the \S/.