Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should Supeman get the classic suit back?

Now that we have a more classic Superman back, with a more classic look back, should he also get the trunks and boots back? Make it official?
    Assassinate Putin!

I'd like the red boots back eventually but I'm fine with the trunks staying gone. It took nearly 80 years but, despite the question of whether it even needed to be done in the first place, the trunks look has been completely phased out of the superhero genre. There's no need for Superman to have them anymore when he's operated just fine without them for over 5 years now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ordinarily I would be for it, but I think right now we have a pretty good, standard, Superman look that's classic enough for the foreseeable future even without the trunks (though he could use some red boots ).

Incredible Member

I'm with all these dudes. I'd always considered myself a traditionalist when it comes to the suit (and I'd take it back in a GODDAMN HEARTBEAT), but at that point I'd never seen a worthy, trunkless design to replace it. Now, IMO, there's two-- the BvS suit (in spite of the rest of that depiction being blah as hell) is a fantastic rendition of a reinvented Supersuit, with the Rebirth version being close behind. Give him the red boots back (and maybe change his belt to yellow... effectively making it a simplified version of the BvS suit, but with a yellow S on the cape... But I digress) and I'd be just fine with it being the knew standard going forward.

But let me reiterate: Classic is and always will be my Number 1 choice.

i'd rather they just make the belt yellow and keep the boots red. I don't really care for the trunks.

Retired

It seems like every time they tweak it, it gets a little closer to the classic costume. So it's like why not just go back to that costume?

Or let every artist do the costume they want to do. Give them that freedom. I can believe that Superman has a hundred different versions of his costume hanging in his closets. It feels weird seeing an artist like Gary Frank, for example, draw a Superman costume that doesn't fit his style. Frank likes to do all those folds and stitching.

If it was me and I got my dream job of drawing Superman, but I couldn't draw the Superman of my dreams, that would be like some weird nightmare scenario.

Yes the original costume should come back. End Didio's influance on the book once and for all. They will never come up with a better look than the original. Everyone should just look at the John Byrne version actually.

It might not be Didio's influence anymore that's preventing their return. It could be WB, or it could just be that everyone's fine with them gone. The fact they didn't just bring back the classic costume with the post-Crisis Superman speaks to this. That was the perfect time to do it and it didn't happen.. That gives a strong indication that there's no return for them on the horizon. They're going to stick with a look somewhat similar to the movies, either by choice or by force, and we know there's no chance in hell a live-action incarnation will ever feature them again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-28-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

No. The "classic" look is ugly as hell. If nothing hell, I would prefer a return to the New 52 costume, which is the better which was ever designed for Superman. Baring that, the current one is passable. But burn down that ugly trunk thing and the whole ugly costume with it.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Obviously. And unless DC holds to one of the several variations on the suit they've introduced since then - trying in vain to get it right - for at least another decade or so for it to settle in and push back against the 73 years arguing against it, and stop putting out comics/kids books/mechandise with the old suit, and get at least one single story to be accepted into the accepted canon of great Superman stuff (i.e. the Chris Reeve movies, All-Star, Kingdom Come, etc.) where he's not wearing it, its return is an inevitability. Smart money says 2018.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I have zero issues with the current costume. Some might, but I think it's fair to say that most people are over the idea of not having the old costume, so it'd be needlessly indulgent. If they ever do go that route, though, I'd like the pre crisis shield back.

Add a small yellow diamond in the middle of the red diamond of the belt to help balance the yellow in the s shield. Make the boots red.

Yes i do believe the clessic suit will return. By 2018, for the 80th anniversary of Action comics #1. Or sooner if DC/TimeWarner reaches a win/win deal with the Siegel & Shuster families.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Retired

There are four essential things that I consider real neat about the classic Superman look: 1) the S shaped spit curl 2) the yellow S on the back of the cape 3) the design of the S with the straight top serif and the bubble tail 4) the yellow, regular-style, functional beilt--holds up his pants--with belt loops and a round buckle.

If they could figure out a way to give him that belt (including belt loops), without the trunks, I wouldn't miss the actual trunks so much. There's probably a way to put red at the top of his pants, around the hips/pelvic area, without those being trunks--to balance out the colour scheme.

But I don't like the belt itself having to carry the weight of all that red and being one of these clunky belts that doesn't really serve the purpose of a belt (holding up pants)--especially since, unlike Batman, Superman has no need for a clunky fanny pack around his mid-section for carrying all his stuff (that's what the secret pouch in the cape is for).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

If the classic suit returns it just might be at the very end of this whole Rebirth/ SUPERMAN REBORN cycle and ACTION #1000 for the 80th anniversary. I think though it would be temporary and we will see perhaps the red boots and some sort of tweak that brings Superdad's suit ever so much closer to the classic look without bringing back the trunks themselves. In any event I'm ok with the current look aside from the blue boots and even that has grown on me to the point that if this is the final design going forward from now on,i think I'd be cool with it.

Would I prefer them to bring back the classic suit? Yes,but as long as we don't go back to the butt ugly original Nuperman Jim Lee design ( not the subtly tweaked versions later which actually looked ok) and they stick to the basic gist of the classic Superman look ,I'm down for it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.