Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    *shrug*

not all revisions are created equally. For example the fact that Jeph Loeb in 2002 said, "wait actually Jor-el wore a headband" then suddenly they decided it was a lie (I suppose they could have planned Return to Krypton II from a ways before it happened, but I don't take it for granted) doesn't have much to do with the Grant Morrison reboot or the Supergirl Saga from 1988.

Interestingly, although it's Supergirl in a sense, Matrix is actually just a protoplasmic tribute to an alternate (deceased) Lana. She doesn't become the Supergirl until a few years of development later. And then she's not so much a teenaged sidekick as she is, famously, Luthor's Galatea. Her powers and story arc are so different (including the early chapters with "her" identity crisis and gender fluidity) that I find it hard to consider an admission of guilt for deleting Kara.

But anyway, the thing I like best about the "old-timey" imagery shown by the likes of Darwyn Cooke and Michael Cho (I don't think a Kara should really deviate from that look; I think her old costume would look just as good if she aged anyway) is how they have the cape at his shoulders. The shorts normally stand out, but I could take or leave the longer trunks.
    You are right about that! That head band was a staple of the Krypton and their culture in the "Pre Crisis" era thin when John Byrne got his hands on the Character, Kryptonians went full head dress, as showing hair supposedly for them, was a big "no...no" (never like that look) - However, as a matter of fact, the original Kara's last costume came with a headband to honor her Kryptonian heritage.

I always found it interesting that they used a protoplasmic AI in that Supergirl saga - I remember that book cover and thought to myself, great they found away to bring Supergirl back until reading the
    book. Looking back on that, her story lines always had a "Soap Opera" feel to them, maybe is the relationship she had with that earth's Lex Luthor couple with how she felt toward Superman as she lived with his parents. Later, her story dealt with allot of psychological and social - interpersonal problems along with your "run of the mill" villains.

Darwyn has that throw back look of the 40's 50's down alright and Kara classic look, attire which was modeled after a figure skaters skirt-dress, is still her best look and for any occasion. Darwyn also, goes a little extra in making her belt red with a gold belt buckle, which is actually a nice touch given the fact that the entire dress-skirt is blue and the next red is the boots. As far as the trunks go, put me down solid for the brief (short) look, they have more style with the right amount of material and look neater, overall, with no un-necessary excess~

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seems likely to me that the LOIS AND CLARK scene influenced the costume scene for the SUPERGIRL pilot:
    ]

Which is only right, given he's her father.
    Eerie, similar looking these scenes side by side, Supergirl imported much from L & C down the mannerisms.

INJUSTICE ZOD fear(this is one ilusion), Superman with trunks:

Injustice1.jpg

Who knows if the trunks ever return.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

BANNED

Still got that kryptonite enhanced fear toxin in him right?

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    INJUSTICE ZOD fear(this is one ilusion), Superman with trunks:
    Good Picture - the belted trunks work by far, as Superman looks majestic in full iconic costume!

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Who knows if the trunks ever return.
    Hopeful, with ACTION 1000 Forever!
    The Rebirth look was/is a step in the right direction, especially what was previously the norm, but it is still half-way done and incomplete.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Good Picture - the belted trunks work by far, as Superman looks majestic in full iconic costume!
    I think the same too... He looks spectacular.

This is the 2nd part, in the 3rd you see the truth, is injustice batman:

Injustice 2 (2017-) 039-003.jpg
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-06-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Of course. I don't see why at least one Superman book couldn't be Superman '55. They are ignoring a segment of the fan base, the Superman fans that they lost with all the many reboots. They should bring back classic Superman, and Supergirl, attending Stanhope College under her secret identity as Linda Lee, at least for a George Reeves' Superman '55 comic series. Could introduce Supergirl, Power Girl, and even Steel, bring some racial diversity to Superman, instead of race swapping the Chief or Jimmy Olsen. I drew these character designs...

team_superman_model_sheet_by_stevenely-dbdnwma.jpg
    superman_cast__alter_ego_model_sheet_by_stevenely-da910mu.jpg

But the current DC bosses doesn't seem interested in classic Superman, only a bias for classic Lynda Carter Wonder Woman '77. And only a bias for classic Adam West Batman '66, no classic Michael Keaton Batman '89, and no classic Superman at all. Where is George Reeves Superman '55? And even Christopher Reeve Superman '78? Why not?

Alex Ross said, "I think that has more to do with personalities of the people calling the shots and their egos. Marvel did their Ultimates by saying 'Hey, you can either jump on board, or you can read the regular stuff, it’s ok.' It’s not my instinct to throw out a design that has withstood the test of time for 70 years and say 'no no, now it’s this.' Especially when you have your other versions of whatever character, whether it’s Superman, or Green Lantern, and say 'you can’t have the old version anymore.' Why can’t I have that?"
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/...-kingdom-come/
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ely View Post
    Of course. I don't see why at least one Superman book couldn't be Superman '55. They are ignoring a segment of the fan base, the Superman fans that they lost with all the many reboots. They should bring back classic Superman, and Supergirl, attending Stanhope College under her secret identity as Linda Lee, at least for a George Reeves' Superman '55 comic series. Could introduce Supergirl, Power Girl, and even Steel, bring some racial diversity to Superman, instead of race swapping the Chief or Jimmy Olsen. I drew these character designs...

team_superman_model_sheet_by_stevenely-dbdnwma.jpg
    superman_cast__alter_ego_model_sheet_by_stevenely-da910mu.jpg

But the current DC bosses doesn't seem interested in classic Superman, only a bias for classic Lynda Carter Wonder Woman '77. And only a bias for classic Adam West Batman '66, no classic Michael Keaton Batman '89, and no classic Superman at all. Where is George Reeves Superman '55? And even Christopher Reeve Superman '78? Why not?

Alex Ross said, "I think that has more to do with personalities of the people calling the shots and their egos. Marvel did their Ultimates by saying 'Hey, you can either jump on board, or you can read the regular stuff, it’s ok.' It’s not my instinct to throw out a design that has withstood the test of time for 70 years and say 'no no, now it’s this.' Especially when you have your other versions of whatever character, whether it’s Superman, or Green Lantern, and say 'you can’t have the old version anymore.' Why can’t I have that?"
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/...-kingdom-come/
    Why not - indeed it is like their ashamed of it or, something - but DC is really narrow casting toward youth and the new readers.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but with this "baby" there a ton of greatness that the people at the helm of DC just don't or, worse will not recognize, because their egos won't allow it ignoring and denying all of that history and losing their Identity in the process.

Diversity is wonderful - Make your own new characters to fit in to the traditional, give them meaningful purpose, introduce them to the mainstream which is all good, but leave the establishment alone they are legends.

These pictures bring back memories, which are burnt in, beyond burnt in, of Superman. I love Chis Reeve and the revival feel he brought to the role, but George Reeves and The Adventures of Superman will always be the first person I think of, even-though, when I first saw Superman (live action) it was Kirk Ayln (who, later I thought was George or, vice versa being the same actor on TV but I was 5 years old in 1948) Saturday matinee serial at the movies as kid which cost me whole quarter (can you imagine, going to the movies today for that price?) which I was more the willing to part with for 15 weeks! - Thank you!

Personalities and egos....oh yes, you bet your bottom dollar on that, which is the very core of the matter. Their useless stigmatism, of self imposed shame and absurdity, which permeates the trades today for a simple article of clothing is quite: disappointing, (for putting down and breaking a 70 year tradition), shocking (saying that trunks are outdated in a society where any style goes) and hypocritical (in preferring -in their vernacular- the "long" underwear look over, the "short" underwear look the supposed "bone" of their contention).

Now, some call this change an "evolution"...this it is not, even remotely close to any type of true evolution, this is simply and a straight up "appeasement" to satisfy their need's, desire's, want's and along with some people's opinions and ideas of what Superman (or, any hero for that matter) should look like . Since the "genie is out of the bottle" - what happens if another group of people come along with similar gall (of the present day) imposing their will and make further changes, like "no cape" or, no "S" symbol on chest etc...which, all could become reality, if the right or, in this case, wrong person is calling the shots, because they don't like a particular aspect of someone's make up and little to nothing else.

Yeah, George Reeves was the real authentic deal. Christopher Reeve was more of a mixed bag, but some of that was also the fault of his directors.

Yeah. What really looks ridiculous is when they've tried to insecurely conform Superman to "kool" fads and "hip" fashion trends. That's so out of character for the big guy and beneath him. They didn't try that nonsense in the '50s. They didn't put George Reeves in an Elvis pompadour or turn Clark Kent's clothes into James Dean clothes or conform the Superman suit to look like Captain Marvel or Captain Video, etc. The no trunks look was the Captain Marvel look, Superman shouldn't be made to emulate his own imitators.

marvel_family_model_sheet_by_stevenely-dbds5asg.jpg

Nor in the '78 did Donner, for all the flaws, at least didn't put Christopher Reeve in a Saturday Night Fever '77 John Travolta suit with a butterfly collar and bell-bottoms, or conform the Superman suit to look like Luke Skywalker's when Star Wars '77 became the big new craze.
    Last edited by Steven Ely; 01-09-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Jerry Siegel/Joe Shuster, Bill Finger/Bob Kane/Gardner Fox/Sheldon Moldoff/Jerry Robinson, William Moulton Marston under the pen name Charles Moulton/Harry Peter. Creators of the most enduring iconic archetypes of the comic book superhero genre. The creators early Golden Age versions should be preserved. The early Golden Age mythology by the creators are as close to the proper, correct authentic versions as there is.

Yeah. What really looks ridiculous is when they've tried to insecurely conform Superman to "kool" fads and "hip" fashion trends. That's so out of character for the big guy and beneath him. They didn't try that nonsense in the '50s. They didn't put George Reeves in an Elvis pompadour or turn Clark Kent's clothes into James Dean clothes or....
    There is an ocean of difference between removing the trunks and putting Clark in an Elvis costume.

Im good with the trunks either way. As Ive said in this thread its about "how" a costume is drawn, not what it is, that makes it work (or not) in a comic. I basically got no dog in this fight. But removing the trunks is not a huge thing. It's one detail on the costume, and it isn't even a defining feature the way the cape or shield are. Remove the trunks and everyone still knows they're looking at Superman. Ive never understood why some folks get so passionate about this detail.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    There is an ocean of difference between removing the trunks and putting Clark in an Elvis costume.

Im good with the trunks either way. As Ive said in this thread its about "how" a costume is drawn, not what it is, that makes it work (or not) in a comic. I basically got no dog in this fight. But removing the trunks is not a huge thing. It's one detail on the costume, and it isn't even a defining feature the way the cape or shield are. Remove the trunks and everyone still knows they're looking at Superman. Ive never understood why some folks get so passionate about this detail.
    I said an Elvis pompadour. A pompadour was a popular trending hair style in the '50s. That's part of what I was saying about what it would have been like if they were conforming Superman to the fads and fashion trends back then, and they didn't go down that road. They are not just taking away Superman's trunks, there is a lot more to it than that.

Retired

I was going to say that Steve Ely was talking about the James Dean clothes and the Elvis pompadour from the 1950s--which would both be concurrent with the George Reeves Superman. But then Steve Ely made the point himself.

If you want to know what Elvis looked like around the time of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, he dressed like this:

Then, in his 1968 comeback special, he was dressed like this:

And it was only in the 1970s when he had various white jumpsuits, like this:

Which did in fact influence super-hero costumes in the 1970s.

Yup. Jim Kelly gets it. I was talking about '50s Elvis hair. As in Elvis in that black and white picture, which was during the George Reeves' Superman era. Yup.

Yeah, George Reeves was the real authentic deal. Christopher Reeve was more of a mixed bag, but some of that was also the fault of his directors.

Yeah. What really looks ridiculous is when they've tried to insecurely conform Superman to "kool" fads and "hip" fashion trends. That's so out of character for the big guy and beneath him. They didn't try that nonsense in the '50s. They didn't put George Reeves in an Elvis pompadour or turn Clark Kent's clothes into James Dean clothes or conform the Superman suit to look like Captain Marvel or Captain Video, etc. The no trunks look was the Captain Marvel look, Superman shouldn't be made to emulate his own imitators.

I say one thing about Captain Marvel serial it was violent as all get out, as Capt would stab, shoot and throw a person off th

Nor in the '78 did Donner, for all the flaws, at least didn't put Christopher Reeve in a Saturday Night Fever '77 John Travolta suit with a butterfly collar and bell-bottoms, or conform the Superman suit to look like Luke Skywalker's when Star Wars '77 became the big new craze.
    1000 percent correct.

I could only imagine Chris Reeve in a pair of the horrible platform shoes, clown ties and Leisure Suit that period of the 70's was the worst look I've seen especially coming off the neat great looks of the decades prior.

That is what killed me with the New 52, the look, as all were wearing the Nehru / Mandarin collars as DC wanted all to conform dress code of sorts.

I'm surprised they didn't make Superman with a goatee or, have razor stubble with bald head trying keep up with the latest trend as some would like to see.

Captain Marvel can rock the "NO Trucks" look till the end of time as that is his signature look and it is balanced as the red is bracketed by yellow gold the color of his boots and arm bands gauntlets.

Superman's signature look will always be with "Trunks" and that is the way it is, and should be accepted as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was going to say that Steve Ely was talking about the James Dean clothes and the Elvis pompadour from the 1950s--which would both be concurrent with the George Reeves Superman. But then Steve Ely made the point himself.

If you want to know what Elvis looked like around the time of THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, he dressed like this:

Which did in fact influence super-hero costumes in the 1970s.
    Yeah, we all tried to copy him with the DA slick back pomp - Live from Burbank...Ah...some real good memories here, I was teenager in audience just out of school for summer vacation, at the "Uncle Miltie" TV Show in the mid 50's. and 68 comeback show 2. I can still see the look of disgust on the Nun's faces when ever his name was mentioned in class, (especially music class/piano teacher) it was absolute torment for them - but, it was great for us!