Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Okay i understand the need to be updated. I think the trunks are really good. Trunks don't make the costume look bad. Rather they improve the look by bringing balance in color. But i don't understand what you mean by 'texture and material'. Is there any existing art to understand your opinion?
    Agree about balancing the color. Supergirl looks so much better with a blue top and a red skirt that she has now in the comic books, animation, and TV show.
    The Injustice version of Supergirl looks so bland and generic.

Okay i understand the need to be updated. I think the trunks are really good. Trunks don't make the costume look bad. Rather they improve the look by bringing balance in color. But i don't understand what you mean by 'texture and material'. Is there any existing art to understand your opinion?
    Take a look at almost anything done by Sejic. He's been the guy doing Aquaman the last few months, but the bulk of his work has been with Top Cow, the people behind Witchblade and the Darkness.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

No. Time to move on.

BANNED

YES!!! Especially in time for the 80th anniversary of the character.

Such classic looks can be slightly altered from time to time, but this is one of those exceptions to the rule and shouldn't be touched.

The more time that passes, the more unlikely it becomes. And its becoming increasingly unlikely that its going to happen for the anniversary. When that landmark passes with no change, that'll pretty much be all she wrote. But its worth stressing it'll only be in terms of present day stuff. They'll still be seen from time to time in flashbacks and they can and surely will be used in out of continuity projects. So the look will never be completely dead.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

You can’t say the trunks will never come back or even that it’s unlikely that they will. For all we know, when Didio and co. finally leave, we may hopefully see a complete reversal of everything he ever did under his tenure, including axeing the trunks.

Could they return? Maybe. Will they never return? Again maybe. Either way, there’s no way to be definite about it.

No.

Superman's costume is not static, but dynamic.

The trunks' time had come to their natural end, IMHO.

They had become a source of distraction in terms of selling the look to people who were not yet fans, esp when none of the other pants-wearing heroes wore their "underwear" over their pants any more. They helped to make him look more like a fossil than he actually was, moving backward instead of forward.

Superman's costume has always had two types of changes: the sudden makeover changes that invariably don't last (Electric Blue), and the gradual incremental changes that invariably do.

The trunks have not been used in any new media since 2012. Not the DCEU (movies) nor the CW (TV) nor JL Action nor Trapped in Time (cartoons).

Seriously, the only place I've seen the trunks recently has been when Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman guested on the widely-hated (but personally-loved by me) Teen Titans Go cartoon:

where Superman was roasted by Robin (he roasted all 4 of them) for wearing his underwear over his pants, making Supes embarrassed AF.

It's become too big a running joke (even mockingly referenced on the SUPERGIRL flashback episode "Midvale") in the public eye.

I would bet most of my nerd cred it does not make a comeback anytime in the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    It's become too big a running joke (even mockingly referenced on the SUPERGIRL flashback episode "Midvale") in the public eye.
    I liked that they at least acknowledged that Superman wore the red trunks at one time, instead of pretending the current costume is the one Superman has always worn,
    like they did in Man of Steel, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I liked that they at least acknowledged that Superman wore the red trunks at one time, instead of pretending the current costume is the one Superman has always worn,
    like they did in Man of Steel, for example.
    Actually, I found the SUPERGIRL reference to be far more damning in presentation. It's one thing when it's just Out Of Universe John/Jane Q Public making fun of the trunks IRL. It's another when say, the villains In-Story are making fun of Supes' trunks, cuz they're villains and not supposed to like Supes anyway.

But when schoolchildren in-universe explicitly say the trunks are a joke, that's a whole 'nother level of disrespect to the trunks ... and a near-guarantee that we'll never see Tyler Hoechlin (even in flashback) wear them on the show.

The trunks are dead. Bury them.

No.

Superman's costume is not static, but dynamic.

The trunks' time had come to their natural end, IMHO.

They had become a source of distraction in terms of selling the look to people who were not yet fans, esp when none of the other pants-wearing heroes wore their "underwear" over their pants any more. They helped to make him look more like a fossil than he actually was, moving backward instead of forward.
    I see this as a continual citing - that "saving" Superman somehow required their removal. But I don't hear all that many people saying "I just couldn't bring myself to buy a comic book until they dropped his underwear". I honestly think losing them has a lot less of an effect on the character's popularity than we think it does.

Superman's costume has always had two types of changes: the sudden makeover changes that invariably don't last (Electric Blue), and the gradual incremental changes that invariably do.

The trunks have not been used in any new media since 2012. Not the DCEU (movies) nor the CW (TV) nor JL Action nor Trapped in Time (cartoons).

Seriously, the only place I've seen the trunks recently has been when Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman guested on the widely-hated (but personally-loved by me) Teen Titans Go cartoon:

where Superman was roasted by Robin (he roasted all 4 of them) for wearing his underwear over his pants, making Supes embarrassed AF.

I would bet most of my nerd cred it does not make a comeback anytime in the foreseeable future.
    Just saw that episode on YouTube. Hypocrisy at it's most blatant, given that every member had their classic gear on as well, "underwear" and all - but it's always Superman who takes the heat for it. I'm sorry, but that needs to be called out for the utter bull$#!+ it is. That crap just shows the remnants of WB's near-embarrassment when it comes to the character. "Batman: Arkham Asylum" for the PS3 sold 2.5million copies, Batman's blue-black armor panties and all. I don't remember gamers saying "gosh, I'd take this game more seriously if only Batman didn't have underwear outside his armor".

To be clear: I don't say all this against you, but against the idea in general. Personal tastes changing and whatever can be debated until forever and that's fine, but I've gotten far past fed up with letting this line of thinking become an unchallenged "fact". Even worse considering the pattern of disdain for elements of the character that basically made them as a company.

--

On a more "in general" note, I think they'll come back now and again, maybe even for a good while at times. The current teams have mentioned that they like the classic best, and they're far from alone. When they see that sales numbers/etc don't change much regardless, the company's importance on the "trunks-less" mandate won't be as big of a deal, imo. But I don't think it'll be a "back forever"/"gone forever" deal - they'll be interchangeable now.
    Last edited by JAK; 12-09-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I see this as a continual citing - that "saving" Superman somehow required their removal. But I don't hear all that many people saying "I just couldn't bring myself to buy a comic book until they dropped his underwear". I honestly think losing them has a lot less of an effect on the character's popularity than we think it does.

Just saw that episode on YouTube. Hypocrisy at it's most blatant, given that every member had their classic gear on as well, "underwear" and all - but it's always Superman who takes the heat for it. I'm sorry, but that needs to be called out for the utter bull$#!+ it is. That crap just shows the remnants of WB's near-embarrassment when it comes to the character. "Batman: Arkham Asylum" for the PS3 sold 2.5million copies, Batman's blue-black armor panties and all. I don't remember gamers saying "gosh, I'd take this game more seriously if only Batman didn't have underwear outside his armor".

To be clear: I don't say all this against you, but against the idea in general. Personal tastes changing and whatever can be debated until forever and that's fine, but I've gotten far past fed up with letting this line of thinking become an unchallenged "fact". Even worse considering the pattern of disdain for elements of the character that basically made them as a company.

--

On a more "in general" note, I think they'll come back now and again, maybe even for a good while at times. The current teams have mentioned that they like the classic best, and they're far from alone. When they see that sales numbers/etc don't change much regardless, the company's importance on the "trunks-less" mandate won't be as big of a deal, imo. But I don't think it'll be a "back forever"/"gone forever" deal - they'll be interchangeable now.
    the trunks fetish will only die when the entire fetichist generation dies with it, otherwise that older generation will always try to push their views on what is correct over the next generation

want a real life example? the conservative parties around the world, especially when they "evolve" into reactionary

not that the trunks are "evil", but they are just not a product of the actual times anymore

Actually, I found the SUPERGIRL reference to be far more damning in presentation. It's one thing when it's just Out Of Universe John/Jane Q Public making fun of the trunks IRL. It's another when say, the villains In-Story are making fun of Supes' trunks, cuz they're villains and not supposed to like Supes anyway.

But when schoolchildren in-universe explicitly say the trunks are a joke, that's a whole 'nother level of disrespect to the trunks ... and a near-guarantee that we'll never see Tyler Hoechlin (even in flashback) wear them on the show.

The trunks are dead. Bury them.
    So let us say Superman is a guy whose costume choice is made fun off in his world. From when has Superman become so thin skinned that he can't take a few jokes? He is the coolest when he is unfazed by it. Every great man or woman is often criticized for trivial things. In the real world he always had been made fun off. He did excellent with that costume. There is no proof to show that his popularity has increased after his trunks were removed. Rather see who have removed Superman's trunks. The very same people who also gave that Superman Celebration of 75 years. Which is hardly a celebration actually.

Because we wouldn't want anyone to come away from this celebration of Superman thinking that anything about Superman or his foes was silly in any respect. Everything is, AND ALWAYS WAS, Very Very Serious, so you don't have to be embarrassed about liking Superman. Because you were, right? You were totally embarrassed, which is why you bought this expensive anniversary hardcover about Superman. So you could laugh at his trunks, right? Those things are so stupid! Don't worry, they got rid of them.
    http://comicsalliance.com/superman-a...ars-review-dc/

Lol. I was searching for this article to show how DC during that time was embarrassed of Superman. (One can argue they still are). But it looks like the author has made a comment related to it too.

New fans will still love Superman with his trunks when he is shown as awesome. Should not be too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

--

On a more "in general" note, I think they'll come back now and again, maybe even for a good while at times. The current teams have mentioned that they like the classic best, and they're far from alone. When they see that sales numbers/etc don't change much regardless, the company's importance on the "trunks-less" mandate won't be as big of a deal, imo.
    I agree with all of this. The joke thing could have been blown out of proportion. When i was a kid i used to love Superman The Animated Series. And i myself would often joke about the trunks. Some people make fun of the very thing they admire or respect. And those who gotta criticize gotta criticize. If Superman beats the Justice League he is not awesome, he is over powered. Superman is too goody two shoes as a character. Thus, he is not interesting. The same people might be singing praises of Captain America.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 12-09-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    the trunks fetish will only die when the entire fetichist generation dies with it, otherwise that older generation will always try to push their views on what is correct over the next generation

want a real life example? the conservative parties around the world, especially when they "evolve" into reactionary

not that the trunks are "evil", but they are just not a product of the actual times anymore
    I am 25. From when have i become an older generation?

When a change is useful make it. I find no use in change just because you have to change. Change shall be based on logic and evidence. Or else one might loose something which was useful in the first place.

Its fine that you don't like it. I can't force anyone to change their opinion. However i don't find any evidence or logic to convince me that trunks does not work. We are talking of a guy who wears a skin tight blue costume with a cape. The cape can hardly be a product of our times.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah... I have a hard time agreeing that the trunks represent "perverted conservatives" or something.

Cap as a goody two shoes: Cap has all of the same popular traits as Batman, who's extremely well received. MCU Cap might as well be Batman. Even then unlike Superman, who more or less has the same costume just without trunks, Bat and Cap both have cumbersome, ridiculous bits of "real world gear" added to their costumes. It seems like the creators just receive less pushback for making those changes.

I am 25. From when have i become an older generation?

When a change is useful make it. I find no use in change just because you have to change. Change shall be based on logic and evidence. Or else one might loose something which was useful in the first place.

Its fine that you don't like it. I can't force anyone to change their opinion. However i don't find any evidence or logic to convince me that trunks does not work. We are talking of a guy who wears a skin tight blue costume with a cape. The cape can hardly be a product of our times.
    wasnt that the reason it changed to a relic? and speaking of usefulness what was the "use" of the trunks? because logic and evidence that i proposed was the concept of time and context, we live in a different context from the 40ies, where the trunks did in fact have a purpose, to emulate the virility of strongman from the circus, but what about now? what is the context? nostalgia? icon? it may have worked if superman was born in 38 and lived till present day (there i gave a context), but he is not being presented as someone from the 40ies, different from captain america who is someone from that era and thus his presentation could have very strong concept , but even he is being constantly updated despite being de facto 90+ years old (because he must have been born at least in 191X to be able bodied for the experiment at the time of ww2