Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What makes a good Hulk story?

In terms of his place in the Marvel universe, Hulk is a strange character. When I look at his publication history, it's very hard to pin down what works and what doesn't. He didn't have any notable stories in his earliest issues with Lee and Kirby, and the things that do succeed are often very unique and unlike any Hulk story you'd expect to enjoy.

In one sense, I'm asking, "What are the best Hulk stories?" But really what I also want to explore is, "What qualities must be present for a Hulk story to succeed? Which characters make for great Hulk stories? What themes make for great Hulk stories?"

Any thoughts?
    Formerly the guy with the Black Panther picture

Whether the Hulk smashes or not generally dictates the quality of the story.

You know, it occurs to me: I'm not sure there is a "good Hulk story." There are good stories featuring the Hulk. Because the thing is, "Hulk Smash" is really goddamn boring after a while. The Savage Hulk is incredibly dull as a character, which means that telling a genuinely good story about the Hulk usually means giving him some level of intelligence. At which point, well, what really sets him apart? What makes a story a Hulk story, at that point? PAD's run on Incredible Hulk is widely considered one of the character's creative peaks, but was he really telling a Hulk story, or was he telling good stories about the Hulk?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Whether the Hulk smashes or not generally dictates the quality of the story.
    Haha, I should have expected to get this answer from somebody :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    You know, it occurs to me: I'm not sure there is a "good Hulk story." There are good stories featuring the Hulk. Because the thing is, "Hulk Smash" is really goddamn boring after a while. The Savage Hulk is incredibly dull as a character, which means that telling a genuinely good story about the Hulk usually means giving him some level of intelligence. At which point, well, what really sets him apart? What makes a story a Hulk story, at that point? PAD's run on Incredible Hulk is widely considered one of the character's creative peaks, but was he really telling a Hulk story, or was he telling good stories about the Hulk?
    This is a really interesting point, and I think I was internally on my way to the same point. Another good example might be Greg Pak's run: good Hulk stories, or good stories about the Hulk? One could argue there is a clear distinction!

Also, Future Imperfect: good Hulk story, or good story featuring the Hulk?

When the Hulk first appeared, he wasn't depicted as feeble minded as he often appears in television and film, just angry and brutish. It's a character that doesn't really seem to have a consistent persona. Sometimes dumb, sometimes brilliant. Sometimes violent and cruel, other times with a childlike innocence. (Worldbreaker Hulk, Mr. Fix it, Doc Green, etc.) Not sure if you can easily differentiate between Hulk stories and good stories about the Hulk because of this.

Anyways, I liked Planet Hulk and Hulk: Grey. I also enjoyed the Hulk vs. Avengers series. (But that one was more due to nostalgia and seeing the changing Avengers Line ups battling various versions of the Hulk throughout the decades.) The first two are probably Hulk stories and the last one feels more like a story about the Hulk.

I think any good Hulk story tries to, in some way, examine the dichotomy of the two sides of The Hulk, between the normal, more "puny" self, and the Gamma-Radiated behemoth that they become. And, through that, also examining the emotional fallout of what that can do to a person and what that says about them and who they really are. That's kind of the definitive element of a Hulk story, or at least one of them, in my mind.

This can also extend to all the Hulks, be it Bruce, Jen, Ross, Betty, Skaar and Cho.

Of course, another way of making a good Hulk story could be seen as just taking The Hulk and seeing how he reacts to the world around him and vice-versa, and this can extend to his various personas as well, be they Savage, Grey, a Professor, or a Worldbreaker. It can be the general world at large, glitzy Vegas, the world of The Avengers, or even on an alien world, but what matters is how Hulk plays off that world and how it reacts to him in return.

And yes, plenty of Smashing is practically a requirement for any good Hulk story .

If you want plenty of examples of how not to tell a good Hulk story, watch an episode of Hulk and the Agents of SMASH (though there were actually one or two good Hulk stories in that show).

BANNED

My all time favourite Hulk story will always be Planet Hulk.

The concept was sound, new characters introduced solidly compelling and the promise of better things to come with new territories to be explored, quite exhilarating.

The Hulk as Green Scar saviour of Sakarr and husband to Ciaera Oldstrong was a romance and rulership that should have been allowed to play out further within the expanded MU but unfortunately, Marvel's penchant for never ending (and pointless conflict) gave us World War Hulk instead.

Banner to me, will always be the essential component that makes the Incredible Hulk mythos interesting so I genuinely hope they bring him back post the Civil War II nonsense.

Fantastic Member AnimalSquabbles's Avatar

People who find the savage mindless hulk "boring" should realize that they don't speak for everyone. As someone who competes in combat sports and works out regularly, I find his epic battles entertaining and inspiring. If you want an intelligent, charismatic, character there are plenty others to choose from that better fit that mold

Bruce banner

Mighty Member

I think theres 2 "Hulk" stories.

1: A Hulk Story that explores the dichotomy between Burce banners intellect and hulk's savagery (i.e. Mark Waids criminally underrated series a few years back. the first run before he got headshotted)

2: A story that explores the Hulk as an individual and focuses on traits OTHER than his savagery (Planet Hulk, to an extent)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post

1: A Hulk Story that explores the dichotomy between Burce banners intellect and hulk's savagery (i.e. Mark Waids criminally underrated series a few years back. the first run before he got headshotted)

2: A story that explores the Hulk as an individual and focuses on traits OTHER than his savagery (Planet Hulk, to an extent)
    This. Right. Here.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danileriver23 View Post

Variations of #2 that depict Hulk as an individual miss the mark for me, though. Planet Hulk worked because Banner was there and participated in the relationship with the queen. Stories that juxtapose the personas of Hulk and Banner, whether it's conflict, cooperation or reluctant acceptance, make the most of the character. "Merged" versions aren't what I'm talking about here, and I find those to be bastardizations of the proper concept.

A good Hulk story doesn't have to be complicated or "deep" to accomplish that. A big part of hulk's appeal is his simplicity. The concept stirs base desires that most of us have felt at one time or another, maybe as adolescents or pre-teens, that we could "hulk out" and fix our problems with blind violence. Bigger problem? OK, more hulk...

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalSquabbles View Post
    People who find the savage mindless hulk "boring" should realize that they don't speak for everyone. As someone who competes in combat sports and works out regularly, I find his epic battles entertaining and inspiring. If you want an intelligent, charismatic, character there are plenty others to choose from that better fit that mold
    That's what Banner is for anyway .

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Smashing. And, shortsighted maneuvers that lead to and from smashing.

Also, it's good if we can feel bad for somebody, and usually better if that set of somebodies includes the Hulk in some way.

Hulk sad (and smash). Hulk lonely (and smash). Hulk angry (and smash). Other people do other things. That's the base.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)