Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    You don't seem very happy about this. In fact, the message I'm getting is "No More Gay Heroes" cause none of them will live up to Batwoman.
    What? Then you need to read the message again.

I'm more then happy we're getting another gay mainstream comic.

HOWEVER, I'm not gonna toss the older and more iconic LGBT comic book characters under the bus by demeaning their past success in arguably less accepting times.

It's like me saying Lady Gaga invited voguing when Madonna has been doing it since the 80s.

We can applaud the present without demeaning the past.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    You don't seem very happy about this. In fact, the message I'm getting is "No More Gay Heroes" cause none of them will live up to Batwoman.
    Exactly. If he was really happy that iceman is getting his own book he wouldn't be trying to tear Iceman down to build Batwoman up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Jesus Christ, we get it you're a DC fanboy.
    No, hardly. I'm defending our queer history in comics.

Not only am I defending Batwoman and Midnighter but I'm also defending poor Northstar who's accomplishment as the first out and proud gay comicbook character has been largely forgotten.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FinalHeaven View Post
    No, hardly. I'm defending our queer history in comics.

Not only am I defending Batwoman and Midnighter but I'm also defending poor Northstar who's accomplishment as the first out and proud gay comicbook character has been largely forgotten.
    Who's forgotten any of this? No one in this thread.

Celebrating the fact that Iceman has a solo, and is inarguably the most popular LGBTQIA+ hero in comics, isn't forgetting it.

It's not like I'm saying this in a thread about America.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

For the sake of argument if Marvel or DC made Captain America or Superman gay then that character would instantly become the most famous gay superhero. Iceman has been in movies, tv shows, video-games for decades.

It's not a slight to other gay superheroes to acknowledge that Iceman is the most well-known gay superhero.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    Lmao.

Batwoman is popular, sure, I'm not arguing that. But she isn't more popular than Iceman, and I wasn't trying to say that Iceman was the first gay male character in comics (in general) to get a solo comic. I'm not sure if you're being purposefully obtuse or you're just misunderstanding me at this point, because what I was saying that this is Marvel's first time having a comic with a gay male lead and also the fact that Iceman is the most popular gay character in comics.

This is the point where we had a misunderstanding. Based on your previous comment, I had assumed you weren't aware of DC having a Midnighter comic or didn't care to mention his comic. But it seems you know about it and acknowledge it so that's fine.

All I wanted to do is make sure people didn't forget that if it weren't for superheroes like Midnighter, Apollo and most importantly Northstar, Iceman would still be written as straight and we wouldn't be privileged to have this comic.

As for Iceman being more popular then Batwoman? We'll agree to disagree on that point. Batwoman most likely will have longer legs simply because DC worships the Bat.

I'm surprised Bat-Cow doesn't have a comic yet...

It's like me saying Lady Gaga invited voguing when Madonna has been doing it since the 80s.
    Oh and Madonna didn't invent vogueing either.

BANNED

I've never been a fan of the solo stuff. I think it's unnecessary and would prefer another team book maybe with the character as a leader of a team as opposed to a solo. Also I hate the Bobby being so called gay thing. I thought it was a bad development and would be just fine if they chose to ignore it. Also it's very telling that the writer chose to talk about that but we get nothing on who the villains might be. Plus Iceman, really? I'd rather have a Magik solo. Or if you wanted to reach the LGBT community then a solo for Mystique would be better. I'd personally be much more interested in a Karma solo over anything to do with the most immature of the original 5 X-men. Hell even Northstar though I'd stay miles away from that. But at least he's established as gay and not forced.

I'll take a pass on this one for sure

This is the point where we had a misunderstanding. Based on your previous comment, I had assumed you weren't aware of DC having a Midnighter comic or didn't care to mention his comic. But it seems you know about it and acknowledge it so that's fine.

All I wanted to do is make sure people didn't forget that if it weren't for superheroes like Midnighter, Apollo and most importantly Northstar, Iceman would still be written as straight and we wouldn't be privileged to have this comic.

As for Iceman being more popular then Batwoman? We'll agree to disagree on that point. Batwoman most likely will have longer legs simply because DC worships the Bat.

I'm surprised Bat-Cow doesn't have a comic yet...
    Whether or not Batwoman has more legs is really something that is up to sales. but that's not really an argument as to who is more popular.

Right now, it's without a doubt Iceman, and if Marvel commits to advertising the series I think that it could last as long as Batwoman or longer.

It's just a matter of if they're willing or not.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

BANNED

Who's forgotten any of this? No one in this thread.

Celebrating the fact that Iceman has a solo, and is inarguably the most popular LGBTQIA+ hero in comics, isn't forgetting it.

It's not like I'm saying this in a thread about America.
    And we should celebrate any and all queer comic book series and not label it as "competition".

Gay boys want role models like Iceman and gay girls want role models like Batwoman.

BANNED

Whether or not Batwoman has more legs is really something that is up to sales. but that's not really an argument as to who is more popular.

Right now, it's without a doubt Iceman, and if Marvel commits to advertising the series I think that it could last as long as Batwoman or longer.

It's just a matter of if they're willing or not.
    Iceman definitely isn't lasting more 12 issues. 24 issues max.

Best case scenario we'll see intermittent trades.

As another poster mentioned, most Marvel series don't last more then that long anyway.

Hell, Uncanny (post AvX) didn't even last more then 36 issues.

And yes. Batwoman is FAR more popular then Iceman. Who won the GLAAD Media Award for outstanding comic book series?

Batwoman.

Who's the only LGBT character to ever go over 100 issues?

Batwoman.

Who has a friggin' BAT on their chest associating her with Batman?

Batwoman.

Anyone with a bat on them is automatically more popular then Iceman. Because of Batman. That includes Nightwing, Batgirl and Robin.

Who's comicbook series is gonna run longer? Iceman or Batwoman? It's gonna be Batwoman.
    And we should celebrate any and all queer comic book series and not label it as "competition".
    You're the one acting like this is a competition.

BANNED

Gay boys want role models like Iceman and gay girls want role models like Batwoman.
    Not all gay boys look to comic books for role models. Especially not comics in which a character can change at any given time whenever a new writer puts their spin on them. I prefer to look for real-life role models, if I'm going to look to anyone at all.

If I used the word "competition" it's in the idea of it being friendly competition between two lgbt titles from two different companies.

Competition is a good thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    You're the one acting like this is a competition.
    Shhh. We settled this matter already. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadnoughtHelldiver View Post
    I've never been a fan of the solo stuff. I think it's unnecessary and would prefer another team book maybe with the character as a leader of a team as opposed to a solo. Also I hate the Bobby being so called gay thing. I thought it was a bad development and would be just fine if they chose to ignore it. Also it's very telling that the writer chose to talk about that but we get nothing on who the villains might be. Plus Iceman, really? I'd rather have a Magik solo. Or if you wanted to reach the LGBT community then a solo for Mystique would be better. I'd personally be much more interested in a Karma solo over anything to do with the most immature of the original 5 X-men. Hell even Northstar though I'd stay miles away from that. But at least he's established as gay and not forced.

I'll take a pass on this one for sure
    I agree the manner he "came out" was poorly done by Bendis and completely contradicts past stories written by Yost or Liu.

But it is what is and hopefully the new series smoothes out the edges.

If it were up to me, I'd retcon his sexuality completely by saying the mere act of bringing the original Iceman created a "time boom" that rippled back and altered current Iceman's history and sexuality.

It cleans up his heterosexual history nicely and we can all blame Beast again for another screwup.
    Last edited by FinalHeaven; 11-29-2016 at 02:32 PM.