Page 1 of 64 123451151 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Default Classic "Alternative": Punk, Art Rock, New Wave, "whatever"...

Anything from Captain Beefheart to Green Day counts as long as it's ten years or older. Any history, personal stories or trivia or opinions highly encouraged!

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...g/n12715?snl=1
    Last edited by ed2962; 12-06-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Ultimate Member

Dude actually damaged his hearing playing in this band.

Ultimate Member

This is the demo version of the world famous disco hit. It was originally written as reggae (sorta)!

Last edited by ed2962; 11-29-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

1-2-3-4!

Ultimate Member

Adam and the Ants were big on MTV in the early 80's. Adam went solo and a couple of the other guys formed Bow Wow Wow. Both acts were managed by Malcom McLaren who was the former manager of the Sex Pistols. In this video the fairy godmother character is played by Jan Mansfield who was a 50's sex symbol ( and also the real life mom of Detective Benson from Law and Order:SVU).

From the White Stripes second album(and my personal favorite), De Stijl, named after the famous dutch art movement.

A tribute band started by one of the current best male vocals, Chris Cornell, for his friend Andrew Wood (of Mother Love Bone) who died of a heroin overdose. They put out just the one album, but it sums up the Seattle "grunge" supergroups of the late 80s and early 90s. Here's "Hunger Strike" with guest vocalist Eddie Vedder (of Pearl Jam):

Team Photo & Silver Surfer Flash Mob

SHSO Name: Gallant Centurion Spy

CBR/SHSO Player Directory

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

Temple of the Dog was pretty much a super group in reverse, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam before either band had their biggest hit, being some year's before Soundgarden's Superunknown and even before Pearl Jam released Ten.

Speaking of Chris Cornell and Soundgarden, here's one of my favorite deeper cuts from Superunknown, 4th of July.

Bob Marley & the Wailers - "Jamming"

Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-01-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Elvis Costello - "Alison"

Peter Gabriel - "Solsbury Hill"

In 1986 Virgin records released XTC's 9th album "Skylarking". It was produced by the under-rated American producer Todd Rundgren (of "Bang the Drum All Day" fame) and originally had the song "Mermaid Smiled" on it. But, to the surprise of all the producers the first single's "Grass" B-side became so popular in the US that Geffen records (at that time Virgin records US sister label) replaced it with this gem. That song later became #62 on VH1's "100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s" (I'll never know why XTC only had the 'one hit'). Here's "Dear God":

Another fun fact is that the video had a boy who lip-synced to the girl's (eight-year-old Jasmine Veillette the daughter of a friend of Todd Rundgren) vocal from the track.

If you want your squad name added to the CBR/SHSO player directory or our wiki let me know!

The Replacements - Left of the Dial

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    The Replacements - Left of the Dial
    Great band and great song. It's also the name of the first CD Box Set that I ever purchased (got a real good deal on it, too). Truly, one of my cherished possessions. Here's a track from said box:

This song features vocals by John Lydon (AKA Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols), guitar work by one of the all-time greats Steve Vai, bass by Bill Laswell (who helped write/produce Herbie Hancock's Rockit- the first hit song with record scratches on it), Miles Davis' drummer Tony Williams, and a who's who of jazz rock violinist L. Shankar. The song is about South Africa's apartheid and its line "I could be wrong. I could be right" is a philosophy course in eight words.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Temple of the Dog was pretty much a super group in reverse, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam before either band had their biggest hit, being some year's before Soundgarden's Superunknown and even before Pearl Jam released Ten.
    Speaking of Chris Cornell and Soundgarden, here's one of my favorite deeper cuts from Superunknown, 4th of July.
    Fourth of July was may favorite song from this album, that and Fell On Black Days. I was a big fan of theirs at one point and I remember after Louder Than Love but before Badmotorfinger, a friend and his wife invited me to drive with them to Cincinnati to see the band play. Spontaneous road trips, good times...