Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, they were signed to Enigma who signed Poison who were really big for a period, but yeah...part of it was they got lost in that glut of hair metal bands. Awhile back in the metal thread, I posted songs by Junkyard...a band made up of guys who had serious hardcore punk cred ( Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Big Boys, etc), but were trying to be a sorta GnR style group and it just didn't work in a world where they had to compete with Danger Danger, Dangerous Toys, Brother Cane, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, they were signed to Enigma who signed Poison who were really big for a period, but yeah...part of it was they got lost in that glut of hair metal bands. Awhile back in the metal thread, I posted songs by Junkyard...a band made up of guys who had serious hardcore punk cred ( Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Big Boys, etc), but were trying to be a sorta GnR style group and it just didn't work in a world where they had to compete with Danger Danger, Dangerous Toys, Brother Cane, etc
    Hmmm, I guess America wasn't ready for TSOL & X yet, as they came before Nirvana finally made it cool to be alternative in America, which bands like Sonic Youth and White Zombie were able to capitalize on. I suppose you could throw Ministry into the mix as well. Can't think of too many others though unless you want to go for crossover bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Biohazard, DRI ect.

Wow! Junkyard sounds and looks like the complete proto type glam metal band lol. Not bad, but I think I prefer Dag Nasty.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Hmmm, I guess America wasn't ready for TSOL & X yet, as they came before Nirvana finally made it cool to be alternative in America, which bands like Sonic Youth and White Zombie were able to capitalize on. I suppose you could throw Ministry into the mix as well. Can't think of too many others though unless you want to go for crossover bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Biohazard, DRI ect.

Wow! Junkyard sounds and looks like the complete proto type glam metal band lol. Not bad, but I think I prefer Dag Nasty.
    Oh, in the big scheme of things, I feel the same way.

Invincible Member

Dag Nasty

Invincible Member

It's always funny to me that supposedly OI broke up because they were getting "too big", but he next thing you know, Tim's next band Rancid is having hit records on MTV

Invincible Member

L7 on David Letterman in the early 90's. I was a big fan of this band around this time. It seemed like they were just about to break through to the mainstream, but...it didn't quite happen in the way it did for similar bands during this era.

Invincible Member

Happy 4th!

The copyright for the video says 84 but the footage has to be from around 80-81 since that's Dez Cadena singing and Henry Rollins joined the band around 81.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Public Image LTD - Banging The Door

Mighty Member

Ah some good stuff being thrown up here, Dag Nasty for sure, Operation Ivy, I saw Rancid back in the day, and saw them again a few years ago with the Dropkick Murphy's, but I have to say L7 takes the cake, of course their greatest song, (at least in my opinion) could never have been a top 40 hit, for obvious reasons.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Public Image LTD - Banging The Door
    PiL is when John re-invented himself as new wave Capt Beefheart! ( At least for those first few records)

Most of it still holds up as genre pushing "rock" music.
    Last edited by ed2962; 07-12-2020 at 07:05 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Ah some good stuff being thrown up here, Dag Nasty for sure, Operation Ivy, I saw Rancid back in the day, and saw them again a few years ago with the Dropkick Murphy's, but I have to say L7 takes the cake, of course their greatest song, (at least in my opinion) could never have been a top 40 hit, for obvious reasons.
    What's ironic ( or maybe not) is that tons of people got exposed to "Shitlist" cuz of the movie Natural Born Killers
    Last edited by ed2962; 07-12-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Invincible Member

Rumor has it that that even though they kicked Glen Matlock out of the band, he was actually the only one receiving royalties from Never Mind The Bullocks for a few years.

Steve Jones did a way better version of this same solo on "Holidays in the Sun".
    Last edited by ed2962; 07-12-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Invincible Member

The Jam

(speaking of Holidays In the Sun, Steve Jones ripped off the opening riff from a Jam song called In The City...)

Invincible Member

Mighty Member

Ah, two tone, English ska was the best, my favourite track above.