Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    Really? I meant to mention it before, but I forgot to for some reason.
    OMG, yes, I got into the album way after it came out, but I remember 14 year old me listening to that song, reading John Saul books.
    JOHN SAUL.
    lol.♡
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since I don't believe this one is common knowledge...

When I was 14, I thought this song was about his lover being dirty because of a bad breakup.
    Now that I am older, I can see the song was about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Spun Sorceress View Post
    I pretty much only read comic books at that age, so I have no idea who that is. I guess I have to google it, but that is not a task I look forward to usually.
    I would have to Google him now, too, to see if he was still writing books/what he is doing now.
    He wrote horror books.

Ultimate Member

All is the band formed by members of Descendents when singer Milo went to college.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    All is the band formed by members of Descendents when singer Milo went to college.

I am not really familiar with all of All's, or The Descendents', stuff, as I only had the album with "Clean Sheets" on it, which was the transition album for The Descendents to All.

I am glad my posting of that song inspired people to post more of their stuff, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    X was I guess the first of the early 80's LA hardcore punk bands to get mainstream critical acclaim. Of course, it didn't turn into much commercial success for them , but their first four or five albums have quality songs. They also had a side band called The Knitters where they did bluegrass songs. John Doe these days gets a fair amount of work as a character actor.

For what it worth, John and Excene were married but got divorced by the time this record came out. Punk rock Rumors?
    The first time I saw John Doe solo, I was somewhat disappointed that he had strayed into bluegrass/alt-country, which seemed to be a trend for many aging punk rockers at the time (although I can't specifically remember who else at the moment). I saw The Knitters about a year later. I knew what I was in for, but I just wanted to see X in whatever their current incarnation was. Luckily, a couple years after that, X toured again and I was able to see them.

Exene's second husband was Viggo Mortensen.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by CenturianSpy View Post
    I'm intrigued on two fronts...first, I've never heard of this movie and now will scour the interwebs...maybe my Netflix/Amazon Prime account. Second..."Second favorite"? What is your first? It's gotta be "This is Spinal Tap"...maybe "Sid & Nancy"...or "Detroit Rock City"..."School of Rock"...so many...
    Control and 24 Hour Party People are another couple you should check out if you haven't already. The first film chronicles Ian Curtis' (of Joy Division) spectacularly short rise in the British punk scene, focusing on his marital issues, epilepsy, and ultimately, his death. It is believed by many that he suffered from bipolar disorder, which went largely undiagnosed at the time. The second film follows Tony Wilson, who helped to manage the careers of Joy Division, New Order, and Happy Mondays. Tony Wilson was played by Steve Coogan in this film, which was the first thing I had ever seen him in.

Before seeing Control, I was unaware of how many great songs Joy Division had. I was only aware of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. Other great ones include: Digital, Transmission, and my favorite - Disorder.

Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I am not really familiar with all of All's, or The Descendents', stuff, as I only had the album with "Clean Sheets" on it, which was the transition album for The Descendents to All.
    For the nerds...

Milo was still actually in the picture enough that the band put the Milo penned tune "Just Like Them" on Allroy Saves.

Ultimate Member

This song is loosely inspired by a news incident, I actually remember when it happened. Basically a teenaged girl shot up an elementary school and when the police asked her why she did it, she said, "Because I don't like Mondays." At the time school shooting were very rare, and most people looked at it as a bizarre one off incident.

Ultimate Member

Nostalgia

Ultimate Member

if you listen to the studio version of this song, the Sex Pistols stole the intro.

And if you listen closely while the host is talking in this video the song in the background is Oh Bondage Up Yours by X Ray Spects

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Gary Numan "Are Friends Electric?"

The Cars "Just What I needed."

Peter Murphy "Cuts You Up."

Astonishing Member

I don't know whether Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention belong in this thread, but if they don't, then just scroll down. From 1967: Brown Shoes Don't Make It. Truly, um, "nasty" stuff.