Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Black Monday Murders

Because, this should already exist.

Is it just me or was anyone else happy that spoilers:
    there more than just Western families at the funeral? I'm glad this has the potential to be more global.
    end of spoilers

Also have we met Wynn in the comics? That backstory was craaazy.

I'm looking forward to the next arc. A lot.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    Because, this should already exist.

Is it just me or was anyone else happy that spoilers:
    there more than just Western families at the funeral? I'm glad this has the potential to be more global.
    end of spoilers

Also have we met Wynn in the comics? That backstory was craaazy.

I'm looking forward to the next arc. A lot.
    Yes. I was.

Also have we met Wynn in the comics?
    Not unless shown but unnamed. Wynn has gone missing in the present.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Not unless shown but unnamed. Wynn has gone missing in the present.
    Ah, for sure. Also does anyone know if the trade will include all the prose stuff in the singles? I might be satisfied with the floppies on this one, honestly.

Man, this is a stunning book. So nice to see something this dense and packed with mysteries in a field that too often bends over backwards to try to make everything crystal clear. (Of course, the downside is that I have to re-read the previous issues every month in order to follow the new one… but that's a pleasure in this case.)

Can someone riddle me this?… A friend glanced through one issue and said he thinks Coker traces over photographs of actors for a lot of the pencil work. I looked at it and thought he was probably right and was actually a little embarrassed I hadn't seen it before. Is that crazy talk?

I'm sure Tomm shoots and uses a lot of photo reference but that doesn't equate to tracing. I hate that assumption. Like, no one can just be good at drawing.

Also does anyone know if the trade will include all the prose stuff in the singles?
    Why would they remove it? It's part of the narrative. It's not like a totally separate prose piece in the back of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm sure Tomm shoots and uses a lot of photo reference but that doesn't equate to tracing.
    Fair enough. Having little skill or knowledge in the field myself, I wanted to get others' opinions.

I'm not there with him and I've never heard him talk about his process, but that's my educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Man, this is a stunning book. So nice to see something this dense and packed with mysteries in a field that too often bends over backwards to try to make everything crystal clear. (Of course, the downside is that I have to re-read the previous issues every month in order to follow the new one… but that's a pleasure in this case.)

Can someone riddle me this?… A friend glanced through one issue and said he thinks Coker traces over photographs of actors for a lot of the pencil work. I looked at it and thought he was probably right and was actually a little embarrassed I hadn't seen it before. Is that crazy talk?
    If you looked through an issue of this comic and wanted to talk about tracing, that is indeed crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If you looked through an issue of this comic and wanted to talk about tracing, that is indeed crazy talk.
    It is a valid question, but it equally reflects upon the tastes of the questioner. I have always found this issue to be interesting. The way complete novices can dismiss established artists in their field as poor or untalented because they use photo reference.

For a more complete reflection on this kind of issue see my posts in the Deodato thread in the Marvel boards.

I don't think there is any doubt Coker uses photo reference, and he also does a thing some critics find anathema and reuses poses in multiple panels. None of this detracts from the point that he is a great exponent of this style, and much better than many of his contemporaries.

My challenge to this way of thinking is, if it is so easy let's see you try. Because anyone that can pull off this kind of work should spend less time critisisng and more time showing their portfolio around at trade shows.

Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 AM.

It comes back to this idea some people have that you can't just simply be good at drawing. Which is fucking stupid.

BANNED

Hey so... wth are those things on the cover of #7? Are we gonna get actual demons up in this piece?

Hey so... wth are those things on the cover of #7? Are we gonna get actual demons up in this piece?
    To me, it feels like they started right on the outskirts of that.

Well, just to add my two cents to the recent discussions here, the covers for the next issues are all really great.

Gonna repost my question from another forum:

Out of curiosity, anyone else here read two copies at a time? Whenever I read Black Monday Murders, I always seem to have one copy for reading and another copy open as reference material.

The Bleeding Cool review accurately describes the way I feel reading BMM.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...vol-01-review/
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja