Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rui no onna View Post
    Gonna repost my question from another forum:

Out of curiosity, anyone else here read two copies at a time? Whenever I read Black Monday Murders, I always seem to have one copy for reading and another copy open as reference material.
    Pretty much something like that... I actually bought also the TPB - because it's a beautiful book really not expensive for all the material it contains, but also because it will be more convenient to use as a companion for the reading of the next issues! lol...

The Bleeding Cool review accurately describes the way I feel reading BMM.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...vol-01-review/
    Nice review. Thanks for the link, rui no onna. An accurate () description of my own experience too!
    Last edited by Abe; 03-23-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Pretty much something like that... I actually bought also the TPB - because it's a beautiful books really not expensive for all the material it contains, but also because it will be more convenient to use as a companion for the reading of the next issues! lol...
    Lol, I buy the single issues in both digital and print. I read the print and use digital as reference. Bonus, with digital I have access to all previously released issues, too.

The TPB, I preordered from DCBS for $9.99 (50% off). Can't wait to have this as Omnibus/Deluxe HC.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

I don't think that I will buy it a third time!

I can't read digital books btw. About a Deluxe/Omnibus edition I'm curious about the choices for the paper : I really like the one used in both the TPB and the singles. It's really well chosen by the creation team : great for the art but also for the text pages - kind of nice newspaper or a book you're studying in a library. At least that the kind of feeling I get when I read it. (my English is too poor to describe it better...)

Anyway it's really satisfying to sit to read a comic book without finishing it in 5 minutes.

I don't think that I will buy it a third time!

I can't read digital books btw. About a Deluxe/Omnibus edition I'm curious about the choices for the paper : I really like the one used in both the TPB and the singles. It's really well chosen by the creation team : great for the art but also for the text pages - kind of nice newspaper or a book you're studying in a library. At least that the kind of feeling I get when I read it. (my English is too poor to describe it better...)

Anyway it's really satisfying to sit to read a comic book without finishing it in 5 minutes.
    I have the Fatale and The Fade Out Deluxe HCs (Brubaker/Phillips/Breitweiser) and they both use nice, thick, semi-matte paper.
    Currently Following:
    Action Comics, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Super Sons, Superman, Superwoman, Teen Titans, Titans, Trinity, Wild Storm, Monstress, I Hate Fairyland, Black Monday Murders, Kill Or Be Killed, Redlands, Crosswind, Astonishing X-Men, Captain America, Daredevil, Defenders, Hawkeye, Tales of Suspense, American Gods, Animosity, Black Eyed Kids, Red Sonja

BANNED

Well, just to add my two cents to the recent discussions here, the covers for the next issues are all really great.

I especially like that one. Also I fully second the 'it being nice to not finish a comic in five minutes' comment, that's one thing that really stokes me out about this series.

Also, to comment on the Bleeding Cool review referenced above, I gave this to a friend - actually as a joke, like "check this maze out" just to laugh at the person getting lost - and she totally loved it. I actually think it's a comic that transcends the medium and is just excellent entertainment. I will probably be alone in this, but this is my favorite thing on the stands rn and I think it's a big step forward for the industry.
    Last edited by son of booyah; 03-23-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by son of booyah View Post
    I especially like that one. Also I fully second the 'it being nice to not finish a comic in five minutes' comment, that's one thing that really stokes me out about this series.

Also, to comment on the Bleeding Cool review referenced above, I gave this to a friend - actually as a joke, like "check this maze out" just to laugh at the person getting lost - and she totally loved it. I actually think it's a comic that transcends the medium and is just excellent entertainment. I will probably be alone in this, but this is my favorite thing on the stands rn and I think it's a big step forward for the industry.
    My absolute favorite ongoing American comic right now is Monstress but this is a very a close second. If I had to trim down my pull list to just 5 titles, the list would probably go like:

1. Monstress
    2. The Black Monday Murders
    3. I Hate Fairyland
    4. Super Sons
    5. Kill Or Be Killed

I've always been a manga person due to the depth and breadth of genres offered and it's been a nice surprise to find non-superhero, quality literature in American comics. My prior perception of American comics was they were either superhero, media tie-ins or Sunday funnies.

East of West is another great read. I started reading that via trades and my OCD has me continuing that way. Jonathan Hickman is very good at world building.
    Currently Following:

Astonishing Member

I had been buying each issue as it came out on Comixology, and It's been driving me crazy having to keep the .pdf's of the previous issues open while reading the current one, to figure out what is happening. I've had to dig out the same diagrams and timelines so often that it's a huge effort to keep up, and this will obviously become a problem that will escalate with every new issue. I'm going to give up on the .pdf's and buy the trade, because it's the only practical solution. (I can think of very few other comics that are worth putting this much effort into reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    I had been buying each issue as it came out on Comixology, and It's been driving me crazy having to keep the .pdf's of the previous issues open while reading the current one, to figure out what is happening. I've had to dig out the same diagrams and timelines so often that it's a huge effort to keep up, and this will obviously become a problem that will escalate with every new issue. I'm going to give up on the .pdf's and buy the trade, because it's the only practical solution. (I can think of very few other comics that are worth putting this much effort into reading!)
    Tablet + print (TPB or single issue) works great. Or two tablets. I used to steal my brother's iPad when studying for exams so I can have the same textbook open at different pages. Having an extra tablet is really useful so when I upgraded, I just kept my old one. Hmm, does comiXology work with iOS split view? Because if it does, then iPad Pro 12.9 with PDF viewer on one side and comiXology on the other would work, too.

Granted, I'm just about ready to create an Excel file for cross referencing and we're only 4 issues in. I've forgotten the symbols for Fire, Air, Water and Earth so gonna need to brush up on those before #5 comes out.
    Last edited by rui no onna; 03-24-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Currently Following:

Gonna repost my question from another forum:

Out of curiosity, anyone else here read two copies at a time? Whenever I read Black Monday Murders, I always seem to have one copy for reading and another copy open as reference material.

The Bleeding Cool review accurately describes the way I feel reading BMM.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...vol-01-review/
    No but this is the first comic book I have read that makes me feel stupid, so maybe I should try it. Fancy explaining any insights you have gleaned by reading it like this. I just figured I would read it one at a time and then maybe go back and read the whole run from the beginning at some point and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    No but this is the first comic book I have read that makes me feel stupid, so maybe I should try it. Fancy explaining any insights you have gleaned by reading it like this. I just figured I would read it one at a time and then maybe go back and read the whole run from the beginning at some point and see if that helps.
    Insights? What insights?

I do it to keep track of which character is which, what family they belong to as well as their family history. Also to see what the familiar looking symbols that all look alike mean. For the first issue, I kept going back and forth to see if the all white female figure was a statue or not.

As someone who plays with retirement calculators (FIRECalc, cFIREsim), this book really tickles the imagination.
    Currently Following:

Insights? What insights?

I do it to keep track of which character is which, what family they belong to as well as their family history. Also to see what the familiar looking symbols that all look alike mean. For the first issue, I kept going back and forth to see if the all white female figure was a statue or not.

As someone who plays with retirement calculators (FIRECalc, cFIREsim), this book really tickles the imagination.
    I was thinking you were going to crack the story wide open and explain the centuries long chronology in the next breath. Oh well. Guess I'll just go back to reading it without understanding everything.

BANNED

...and we're back! Issue 5 was a solid start to a new arc imo. We got some world explanation, a fairly important character was fleshed out, and I like where we're headed, seems like we're going to find out about a big missing piece in the story so far. Like all BMM issues it's part of a larger story, but I dug it for what it was

Great issue! So glad this is back. While it was a shorter issue than the previous four, it still felt more substantial than your average single issue. I love this book!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Great issue! So glad this is back. While it was a shorter issue than the previous four, it still felt more substantial than your average single issue. I love this book!
    In fairness, this was $3.99 instead of $4.99.

By the way, anyone else Google to see if that article from Miami Herald was fake or not?
    Currently Following:

That wasn't a criticism, just a fact. 1st arc ran 56 pages, this arc is running 40 pages. Price adjusted, obviously.

Hickman's talked about this before. Issues fluctuating in length/price depending on what that chapter needs, instead of filling a pre determined page count. This isn't exactly, that, but I like that idea.