Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Alright is it just me or does Logan look like the Logan from the JGS 20 years later issue?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Alright is it just me or does Logan look like the Logan from the JGS 20 years later issue?
    I honestly couldn't make much of anything out of the artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I honestly couldn't make much of anything out of the artwork.
    Really? Sure the art may not be extra detailed like a Leinil Francis Yu book for example, but with the way the panels are layed out I can clearly see what's going on. The artist has a dynamic style not unlike what you might see in animation.

Incredible Member Chimeratengun's Avatar

This will be Logan's....what fifth time hes been turned into a Vamp?
    Glad Agent Reyna is not acting like an ass and a bigot anymore.
    I can't wait for Nina to cut loose.

Default Old Man Logan #14: feels so different?

Didn't see an official review thread, so thought I'd start one with my own thoughts.

Short version is: this almost felt like a knock off rather than the real deal. There were so many little differences that I simply couldn't read this with the same grin across my face, and I'm a bit confused as to why they would switch things up as my impression is it was one of the best sellers Marvel has right now.

First off the changing in art and color almost completely changes the tone/mode of the book. Page after page, Andrade uses the same top-to-bottom flat panels and breaking it up sparingly with a full page image here or there. Gone are the sweeping two page kaleidoscope pages of panels woven into an almost mural, or constantly changing page layouts. The art itself has a decidedly different feel as well, with Logan looking more like he was penciled in and shadows that seem to exist only around his eyes making him look more like a Frankenstein monster.

But the slight style differences are only more pronounced with Bellaire's coloring, which is much less a a feast for the eyes. Those contrasting bright and photo realistic backdrops against water-color like characters swathed in blacks is just gone. The "idea" is there, but nothing is as bright or contrasts as dark. put the two changes together and the entire volume feels muted. I'm going to really miss Sorrentino/Maiolo...

At least I still have Lemire to fall back on... maybe? Sadly even the story seems to depart in tone and fall back to a more traditional X-Book that reads closer to all new wolverine. It's not terrible, but It's not the best start. I mean, how much time passed between #13 and #14? It's almost like this issue is post CW2 whereas #13 we pre? Why is Logan suddenly hanging around the X-Mansion minding his own business? For a guy who spent 13 issues effectively being a nomad, this started more like he had set his roots down back with the X-Men. Then the story itself, while a run in with Dracula is awesome, also felt very "Traditional", with big sweeping team fight part way through like it was a team book I was reading and not a Wolverine book at all. That's when the last element hits: There's not a single panel that features OML narrating the story. Not a solitary panel of introspection.

All in all I was left wanting from this one. Hey after 13 strong issues I guess I can cut them a break, but as this is the start of a new story, I'm a little concerned that this next arc might not live up to the caliber seen thus far.

Any rate: OML Review! Sound off!

The art doesn't bother me, Remember that weird New Mutants art from the 80's? Or the X-force Volume II murky art you had to read under a bright light?

My only problem is Dracula's son Xarus is Jubilee's master. Dracula should not be able to control her, unless my lore is off.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Didn't see an official review thread, so thought I'd start one with my own thoughts.

Short version is: this almost felt like a knock off rather than the real deal. There were so many little differences that I simply couldn't read this with the same grin across my face, and I'm a bit confused as to why they would switch things up as my impression is it was one of the best sellers Marvel has right now.

First off the changing in art and color almost completely changes the tone/mode of the book. Page after page, Andrade uses the same top-to-bottom flat panels and breaking it up sparingly with a full page image here or there. Gone are the sweeping two page kaleidoscope pages of panels woven into an almost mural, or constantly changing page layouts. The art itself has a decidedly different feel as well, with Logan looking more like he was penciled in and shadows that seem to exist only around his eyes making him look more like a Frankenstein monster.

But the slight style differences are only more pronounced with Bellaire's coloring, which is much less a a feast for the eyes. Those contrasting bright and photo realistic backdrops against water-color like characters swathed in blacks is just gone. The "idea" is there, but nothing is as bright or contrasts as dark. put the two changes together and the entire volume feels muted. I'm going to really miss Sorrentino/Maiolo...

At least I still have Lemire to fall back on... maybe? Sadly even the story seems to depart in tone and fall back to a more traditional X-Book that reads closer to all new wolverine. It's not terrible, but It's not the best start. I mean, how much time passed between #13 and #14? It's almost like this issue is post CW2 whereas #13 we pre? Why is Logan suddenly hanging around the X-Mansion minding his own business? For a guy who spent 13 issues effectively being a nomad, this started more like he had set his roots down back with the X-Men. Then the story itself, while a run in with Dracula is awesome, also felt very "Traditional", with big sweeping team fight part way through like it was a team book I was reading and not a Wolverine book at all. That's when the last element hits: There's not a single panel that features OML narrating the story. Not a solitary panel of introspection.

All in all I was left wanting from this one. Hey after 13 strong issues I guess I can cut them a break, but as this is the start of a new story, I'm a little concerned that this next arc might not live up to the caliber seen thus far.

what? ok ill give you the narriation. but the art atyle is be ause its someone elsem they dont draw like sorrentino. ill gi e you like it i do too but the fill in guy has his own way. and Logan is,an xman he hangs at the mansion and has in this book since #5.
    X-Men Forever

It's only for two issues after the next one Sorrentino will be back, And like Berserkerclaw said Logan was hanging around X-Mansion back in issue 5 and in Extraordinary X-Men. And yeah the art does take some getting used to but it's only for two issues so I don't mind it.

Didn't see an official review thread
    http://community.comicbookresources....-14-(spoilers)

Another solid issue. This series has set the bar pretty high. A solid issue for this series is a cut above the rest. This issue is worth buying just to see how Old Man Logan chides Cerebro into caring for Shogo. Seeing a giant robot care for a baby...that alone could be its own series.

I'm probably one of the few who don't mind that Jubilee is a vampire. I think that has been good for her character at times. She didn't get to do much in this issue, but I like how it set things up. Old Man Logan vs. Dracula...not a bad match-up. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

I noticed much the same with the writing. It almost felt like this issue was ghostwritten by someone else pretending to be Lemire because of the differences in style.

I know, it's almost like this is the beginning of completely different story arc...

I liked it, but it was a super quick read. And the art was okay. It was heavily stylized, but kinetic and fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    I know, it's almost like this is the beginning of completely different story arc...
    It's not about a different story arc. It's about the writing itself. Characteristics that defined the series from issue 1 (particularly the noirish quality to the narration and introspection) is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    It's not about a different story arc. It's about the writing itself. Characteristics that defined the series from issue 1 (particularly the noirish quality to the narration and introspection) is gone.
    I dunno, Logan sounded like Logan IMO and that's the most important thing.