Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    I really like this idea. Because when they usually do the 'school' routine. They usually do a catchall book where they are supposed to be Students, Loners, Losers, Soldiers and X-Men all rolled into one. Splitting the School into three distinct sections and saying "this book is about the ones that don't make the useful cut" helps clarify the direction of the book. I will not be surprised if the "Next Generation of X-Men" class also gets a book.
    Of the three books announced so far this is the one I'll be picking up for sure.

For everyone that is like "This book sounds lame, these characters are lame". That's the point of the group. Who doesn't like an underdog story? It's up to Christina to take that premise and show us why she got the job.
    Yeah that's exactly what this is and the comments here are reflecting that. So yeah, I believe in this team.

She just replied to someone we'll see plenty of Shogo. Also hinted about Broo and hinted Molly Hayes was close to making the roster.

I just hope we get callbacks. I want to know if Jubilee still has Angelo's ashes.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    I really like this idea. Because when they usually do the 'school' routine. They usually do a catchall book where they are supposed to be Students, Loners, Losers, Soldiers and X-Men all rolled into one. Splitting the School into three distinct sections and saying "this book is about the ones that don't make the useful cut" helps clarify the direction of the book. I will not be surprised if the "Next Generation of X-Men" class also gets a book.
    Of the three books announced so far this is the one I'll be picking up for sure.

For everyone that is like "This book sounds lame, these characters are lame". That's the point of the group. Who doesn't like an underdog story? It's up to Christina to take that premise and show us why she got the job.
    But its not an underdog story.

Its not as if the interview said, "These are characters everyone doubted but they are determined to be X-men anyway". But "These characters will never be X-men"

They’re not all going to be Cyclops, or Storm, or Jean Grey. And some young mutants have powers that just don’t make sense in a battle situation (I’m lookin’ at you, Cypher). So, in the interest of keeping more of their young alive, the Institute’s thinking it’s time for a restructure.Now in Central Park, the rechristened Xavier Institute has taken this move as an opportunity to re-evaluate their students, internally dividing the student body into three classes: The Next Generation of X-Men, the Next Generation of Ambassadors, and the Next Generation of… well, lovable losers. These are our Gen Xers. And they include mutants with benign powers, mutants who are considered liabilities during missions and/or battles, and mutants with personalities ill-fitting of an ambassador. They’re basically all mutants who just don’t seem to fit in anywhere — including the very school where they were promised they would fit in.
    So they can't fight? they Can't Negotiate...

Even though there are Un-powered superheroes, The Hawkeye's plural...Mockingbird, even Steve Rogers and T'Challa are peak physical humans not super-humans. The Initiative people? remember that? wan't it a thing?

Who was X-23's besties on that team? Finesse? whats her superpowers? Reflexes and memory?

Look what she did with that.

BANNED

Tell me something, why do you think Christina Strain can't write the most obscure characters well enough to give a damn about despite not one page published? Did you travel through time?

BANNED

Underdog team, underdog writer, underdog book. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    for obscure marvel comics:
    I heard of Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat.
    I Heard of the invincible Squirrel Girl.
    I even heard of A-force.

Until that Generation X press release came out I have never heard of Spider-man And the X-men. None of the you tube reviewers have even mentioned it, its not in the monstrous Barnes and Nobel's
    I frequent.

Great?
    You never heard of it but it was great and I'd reccomend tracking down the trade. Also despite you never hearing of the book it outsold most of those titles you did manage to hear about.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    Tell me something, why do you think Christina Strain can't write the most obscure characters well enough to give a damn about despite not one page published? Did you travel through time?
    Tell me why do you think this unknown can? She is not Brian K Vaughn or Peter David with a track record. She is banking on wallpaper, and "Lovable Losers" that shows characters with no power , Finesse, Kate Bishop, White Tiger(?).

With 3 anchor characters, in a franchise that is hardly in the dominant spot it once was.

No I can't travel through time, but I have basic observational skills, realize the concept she is shooting for a Lesser Avenger Academy, with a writer who's previous experience is as a colorist, and a writer for a Magical School Syfy show. But Hey its getting a second season sooooo, A kernel of talent?

But this writer is playing long odds.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Underdog team, underdog writer, underdog book. I like it.

You never heard of it but it was great and I'd reccomend tracking down the trade. Also despite you never hearing of the book it outsold most of those titles you did manage to hear about.
    Its a Spider-man book its going to sell. He is literally the symbol of Marvel Comic's, But I'll look for it may be I'll be surprised.

BANNED

It's interesting to me that a few people commenting here are actually trying to be self-righteous about their decision to read this book, and insinuating that those who don't want to read it are morally obligated to at least give it a shot. Good for you if you want to read this stuff, and I honestly hope it works out for you, but please don't act as if others should give Marvel their money to read about characters they have no interest in reading. It doesn't matter if Emeril or Ramsey is preparing the meal if you don't like the ingredients.

So... they saw that fans were asking for a book focusing on the students and a book about Gen X and they said, fine, let's do this and then proceeded to make it a book about the characters nobody cares about like Eye Boy and Nature Girl and then of course the new writer threw in yet another original creation who will be forgotten the moment they move on and another writer comes aboard? Why can't Marvel learn from their mistakes and stop letting every new writer create their own character(s) who will just end up as yet another wallpaper character clogging up the books? I mean, we've had Ink, Cipher and Graymalkin, Gen Hope, Aaron kids, Bendis kids and now this character! Isn't it about time to admit that these characters will never really take off since all most fans will ever care about are the main characters and we already have more than enough characters who haven't found their place and have been left in limbo without any character growth or simply drifted off after graduating (New Mutants, Gen X, New/Young X-Men). Marvel has even admitted that they have realized that graduated kids will only end up disappearing and that's why they won't let any of the post NM/Gen X kids to ever grow beyond being students. So the slots of students are already occupied! We don't need any more of them!

I hate to be so negative, I really do, but this book holds absolutely no interest for me. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't put Glob "Jell-O Man" Herman and Ernst the Little Girl Granny and Martha "Brain-in-a-Jar" Johansson on this book as well, since they have such a hard on for these weird loser characters who will never be anything other than sight gags or uninteresting freaks who are there only because some people find them funny and the idea of totally useless mutants as interesting. Don't get me wrong I love to read about underdogs and unlikely heroes as well but there's a certain limit to how useless your characters can be in a superhero franchise. And I'm especially frustrated as I would love to see an actual X-Men student book with the students who have some potential to go somewhere and be more than just sight gags, like Hellion, X-23, Surge, Prodigy, Elixir, Armor, Blindfold, Wind Dancer, Genesis, etc. Heck, I'd even like to see more of Triage or Primal (only worthy Gen Hope member and Bendis kid respectfully) rather than read about these characters. Only ones in this book that have ever held any interest for me are Amity/Benjamin Deeds and QQ/Kid Omega, but the way QQ has been written post Morrison I haven't enjoyed him at all and Amity alone isn't going to be enough for me to pick up a book that I absolutely don't give a f about.

I was hopeful for ResurreXion to be the moment when Marvel shows that they still care about the X-Men and don't want to kill this franchise off completely and that's what they seemed to be saying in the interviews when talking about it but right now I feel like either they are woefully missing what people actually liked about the X-Men in the first place or they still are out to kill off this franchise to make sure it won't be in direct competition to their other MCU franchises. X-Men: Gold features a boring line up with a writer who doesn't have the best track record on the x-books, X-Men: Gold features an admittedly great writer writing characters that I've never given much of a f*** about and this is a very new no-name writer writing characters I never gave a f*** about and actually have started to loath because of getting too much of them. At this stage I expect Weapon X to be a big disappointment as well though I don't know how that could be as all characters I could see appearing in that book seem fine enough for me (X-23, Angel/Archangel, Cable, Domino, Psylocke, Marrow, Dr. Nemesis, Sabretooth, Wildchild, Feral, Caliban, Sauron, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Actually I am not a millennial. Surprised you put it that way, because unless you are a millennial then you know that defending others and trying to live with out negativity is an old fashioned trait. Millennials are the one who only care for themselves and love to complain about things and cause negativity. Yes a generalization, but mostly true. I have NEVER heard a millennial say the saying "If you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all." I also think that you can cyber bully with out being directly calling someone names (like when someone earlier said to disregard one of my comments and nothing else). All I think is that we should have one thread for news and one for complaining so people that like to avoid negativity can avoid the negative comments. I have sent a message to administration and hope that they take me serious or I will be reporting this thread to the police. And cyber bullying is taken very serious here in America and I take the attacks on my view that we should not have to read all the negativity as cyber bullying because of the way things were phrased. (Example above). This shall be my last post on this but like I said I hope administration takes this serious or this will be reported to police. Many governments even have organizations similar to the fbi just for cyber crime including cyber bullying. Have a nice day everybody. I dont think my request of 2 separate threads deserved all the attack I got. It is attitudes like this that Trump supporters have, attitudes that say the think they are the only one that matters. Attitudes that are getting blacks and gays and trans and latinos attacked in this country right now. This world has enough negativity why do I need to see it on a place I come to to exscape negativity? (The world of comic books)
    *tips fedora*
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    It's interesting to me that a few people commenting here are actually trying to be self-righteous about their decision to read this book, and insinuating that those who don't want to read it are morally obligated to at least give it a shot. Good for you if you want to read this stuff, and I honestly hope it works out for you, but please don't act as if others should give Marvel their money to read about characters they have no interest in reading. It doesn't matter if Emeril or Ramsey is preparing the meal if you don't like the ingredients.
    Right that's fine but you all let us know multiple times your not reading it. Why are you still here talking about how your not gonna read it at 2am

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    Tell me why do you think this unknown can? She is not Brian K Vaughn or Peter David with a track record. She is banking on wallpaper, and "Lovable Losers" that shows characters with no power , Finesse, Kate Bishop, White Tiger(?).

With 3 anchor characters, in a franchise that is hardly in the dominant spot it once was.

No I can't travel through time, but I have basic observational skills, realize the concept she is shooting for a Lesser Avenger Academy, with a writer who's previous experience is as a colorist, and a writer for a Magical School Syfy show. But Hey its getting a second season sooooo, A kernel of talent?

But this writer is playing long odds.

Then how do you know it will suck? Observational skills aren't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by WhySoFuriousGeorge View Post
    Thing is, the problem isn't whoever is interested. It's more of bashing the book before one page is written or drawn. That's the issue I have. All of these complaints scream "entitlement." You guys ae turning into Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.

Thing is, the problem isn't whoever is interested. It's more of bashing the book before one page is written or drawn. That's the issue I have. All of these complaints scream "entitlement." You guys ae turning into Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons.
    It's not our problem if you refuse to see the context of the larger problem. Marvel has shown a pattern of releasing titles with uninteresting young mutants after the abrupt cancellation of NXM and when they inevitably fail because of the uninspiring characters and mundane/worn out tropes, the blame is unfairly placed on a "lack of interest for young mutants in general". That actually decreases the chances of seeing the young mutants people WANT to read about in the future as well. How is this so hard to grasp?

And speaking only from the business side, if solos starring A-Listers like Storm and Cyclops cannot survive, what chance does a book featuring Jubilee mentoring a bunch of nobodies stand?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It's not our problem if you refuse to see the context of the larger problem. Marvel has shown a pattern of releasing titles with uninteresting young mutants after the abrupt cancellation of NXM and when they inevitably fail because of the uninspiring characters and mundane/worn out tropes, the blame is unfairly placed on a "lack of interest for young mutants in general". That actually decreases the chances of seeing the young mutants people WANT to read about in the future as well. How is this so hard to grasp?

And speaking only from the business side, if solos starring A-Listers like Storm and Cyclops cannot survive, what chance does a book featuring Jubilee mentoring a bunch of nobodies stand?
    That wasn't the real cyclops tough

Then how do you know it will suck? Observational skills aren't enough.

I have been reading comics for about 20 years. I don't know But the X-office has been rolling snake eyes with startling regularity. When I heard Doop was getting a book I figured it would bomb. Nightcrawler got another failed title? Not surprising Kurt's not a bad character they never could write him solo.

This comic might be great, you also might survive contact with the 3rd rail...odds not good though.