Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    These sort of complaints are dumb. It's actually not that hard to give people what they want. Go look at Rebirth. It's very simple. Use classic characters and concepts and then update them for a new generation with new stories and directions. This is what superhero comics are. No, people don't want all new stuff. If they did, they wouldn't be reading comics from one of two companies that survive by writing about the same characters for the better part of a century or more. Complain about it if you want but it's a dumb complaint. People read Marvel and DC because they want to read about Superman and Peter Parker. That said, they also don't want to read the EXACT SAME thing that came before because, obviously, that's boring, which is part of the problem with the Gold and Blue announcements.

The third issue, which is again obvious and should surprise no one and does not mean 'fans are whiny' is that no one wants to read continuations of stories they already didn't like. This is why the Teen O5 (a concept that was about 50/50 in terms of fan support but has very much worn out its welcome), these line-ups, and now using the WatX kids (a group that was never that popular) to headline Gen X is getting so much hate. People aren't SUDDENLY BEING BITCHY. These were not well-liked characters 3 years ago, they're not well-liked now. It also furthers the perennial problem of young X-books, which is that every writer of a young X-book almost exclusively wants to use new, or basically new, X-characters, meaning every time a new one of these is announced, the previous groups get thrown to the wind. It happened with New Mutants, GenX, NXM, The Five Lights, the Young X-men, Grant Morrison's students, the new Xavier institute students, etc. So obviously, every time a new one of these is announced and once again it uses a bunch of blank slates (though in this case not actually new, just new enough) you've created yet another group of offended X-fans.
    And the biggest reason: When this book featuring "lovable losers" inevitably crashes and burns in sales, as its predecessors, then Marvel will have an amazingly tone-deaf response as always and say that there isn't any interest in young mutants. Which actually reduces the chances of seeing actually popular youngsters like the NXM being featured prominently.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    And the biggest reason: When this book featuring "lovable losers" inevitably crashes and burns in sales, as its predecessors, then Marvel will have an amazingly tone-deaf response as always and say that there isn't any interest in young mutants. Which actually reduces the chances of seeing actually popular youngsters like the NXM being featured prominently.
    rinse and repeat. Jubilee is the most well known and the rest is a "who"

"Lovable Losers" if it was written by Peter David? He is a writer who has the chops to pull that off with unknowns. He made Darwin and Layla "McGuffin" Miller a joy to read about. But he wasn't doing it in a vacuum.

When X-factor AKA XXX-Investigations came out Strong Guy, Madrox, Monet, Rictor, and Wolfsbane were far from the post popular character, but they were hardly nobody's. And there were still 5 characters with extensive previous histories.

So Jubilee, Chamber, Quentin Quire, are suppose to anchor a title while he fleshes out wallpaper? Whats this guys previous work?

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    "Lovable Losers" if it was written by Peter David? He is a writer who has the chops to pull that off with unknowns. He made Darwin and Layla "McGuffin" Miller a joy to read about. But he wasn't doing it in a vacuum.

When X-factor AKA XXX-Investigations came out Strong Guy, Madrox, Monet, Rictor, and Wolfsbane were far from the post popular character, but they were hardly nobody's. And there were still 5 characters with extensive previous histories.

So Jubilee, Chamber, Quentin Quire, are suppose to anchor a title while he fleshes out wallpaper? Whats this guys previous work?
    The writer, Christina Strain, is a she. Her previous work in comics was in a coloring capacity (she colored Runaways). Apparently she's written for TV (The Magicians). One person whose opinion I really trust loves that show but everybody else I know hates it.

Anyway, here she talks about how and why she chose these particular characters. I think Quire's inclusion was mandated (not surprising if that were the case), but it looks like she picked the rest of the roster herself.

S/O to all the Eyeboy haters.

He's next to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanpaul123 View Post
    I dont know guys maybe this book will focus more on social drama, specially the whole LGBT side of drama, i mean bling! Is gay, morph is gay, eye boy can see "cis gendered people" whatever that mean, Quire has a dyke haircut, and Jubilee was kissed by bling! In adjectiveless x-men, also bling! Is/was in a relation with mercury maybe she will show up
    When did that happen? Also, I doubt a haircut decides if someone is gay or not.

The writer, Christina Strain, is a she. Her previous work in comics was in a coloring capacity (she colored Runaways). Apparently she's written for TV (The Magicians). One person whose opinion I really trust loves that show but everybody else I know hates it.

Anyway, here she talks about how and why she chose these particular characters. I think Quire's inclusion was mandated (not surprising if that were the case), but it looks like she picked the rest of the roster herself.

I saw the commercials for the Magicians, I'll have to look up the show frankly I was more drawn to the Expanse, I read the article...I hope she has the writing chops because that's what she is banking hard on.

If I was a first time writer I would not be flipping the coin on wallpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    I saw the commercials for the Magicians, I'll have to look up the show frankly I was more drawn to the Expanse, I read the article...I hope she has the writing chops because that's what she is banking hard on.

If I was a first time writer I would not be flipping the coin on wallpaper.
    Especially when there are far more popular characters in limbo for use. Reading that article, I now know why she picked these characters (she wanted a roster of actual losers without battle ready powers and that eliminates almost all of the popular kids). I will give the book a chance as I'm curious about 2-3 characters there but going in with low expectations.

As stated multiple times though, the X-Line is in no condition right now to launch a book with so much going against it from the get go.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Out of all the characters... They possibly mandated Quintin Quire. Go to work, come back on and find out people are freaking out and threatening to call the police because someone disagreed with them... See what you did Marvel. DC is probably laughing themselves to sleep tonight. Think I'm going to start checking them out.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

You know what? I'll be rooting for this. I want Christina Strain to prove everyone here wrong that the book will be crap. Who's to say she can't make characters people haven't looked into worth caring about? She even has Jubilee has the leader. She's very underrated so I can only hope Jubilee and her team will be done justice. I want to know these characters further so hell yeah. Let's not be entitled spoiled children, let's give it a chance.

BANNED

People similarly bitched about the cast of Spider-man and the X-Men and that title ended up being great.

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by MCBT View Post
    You know what? I'll be rooting for this. I want Christina Strain to prove everyone here wrong that the book will be crap. Who's to say she can't make characters people haven't looked into worth caring about? She even has Jubilee has the leader. She's very underrated so I can only hope Jubilee and her team will be done justice. I want to know these characters further so hell yeah. Let's not be entitled spoiled children, let's give it a chance.

Exactly how I feel

I really like this idea. Because when they usually do the 'school' routine. They usually do a catchall book where they are supposed to be Students, Loners, Losers, Soldiers and X-Men all rolled into one. Splitting the School into three distinct sections and saying "this book is about the ones that don't make the useful cut" helps clarify the direction of the book. I will not be surprised if the "Next Generation of X-Men" class also gets a book.
    Of the three books announced so far this is the one I'll be picking up for sure.

For everyone that is like "This book sounds lame, these characters are lame". That's the point of the group. Who doesn't like an underdog story? It's up to Christina to take that premise and show us why she got the job.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I'm not sure how I can be misinformed when I was around on Monday in the Blue and Gold thread seeing what people were complaining about, which was the lack of diversity and the fact that both lineups for both books were filled with classic characters.

Generation X is literally the opposite of that; not only does it feature a minimal amount of characters that were created before the year 2010, it's a cast that is ethnically, racially, and sexually diverse. It features one of the X-Men franchises darling girls in Jubilee as the team mentor. It features one of the most popular students of the past decade in Quentin Quire.

I think people were fooling themselves when they expected that it was just going to be the same old New X-Men characters as opposed to a roster that we haven't seen together before. A diverse, and new, roster of characters with a solid premise by a writer that might be new to comics but is a part of a critically acclaimed television series and has history working with teen misfit characters - which this cast very much represents.

The resurrxion was metaphorical in most cases as far as the actual branding goes. It's reviving the X-Men brand and mutantkind, not bringing back something that was lost in the past - apart from maybe the mutant species. It could actually be literal, too, though - we do already know that Pyro and Avalanche are a part of the new Brotherhood.

As for the location of someone like Magik? Wait and see. There is still one more team book to be announced, and given her popularity, it's possible she'll pop up there, along with other characters like Wolverine and Psylocke. But that was besides my point, which was pointing out that people were complaining about this title for literally the opposite of reasons that they complained about Blue/Gold.

Because the X-Board can never be satisfied.
    This guy gets it! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    People similarly bitched about the cast of Spider-man and the X-Men and that title ended up being great.
    for obscure marvel comics:
    I heard of Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat.
    I Heard of the invincible Squirrel Girl.
    I even heard of A-force.

Until that Generation X press release came out I have never heard of Spider-man And the X-men. None of the you tube reviewers have even mentioned it, its not in the monstrous Barnes and Nobel's
    I frequent.

Great?