View Poll Results: Does anyone care about the new Generation X?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm excited

33 15.49%
  • I will give it a chance

55 25.82%
  • I'm not interested in this book at all

125 58.69%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I was super excited when this was announced/teased but the creative team and lineup are a total let down just like the rest of the x men announcements. How can you screw this up this bad? Marvel is showing they still don't give a damn about the x men. I will no longer be buying marvel comics until they make the x men books a big deal again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Nah, man, you still don't understand.
    Don't understand what? That Academy X and New X-Men are the same book? That even those few characters that were around before New X-Men had no fans and were propelled to popularity do that volume?

What I don't understand is what this has to do with me saying that much of the criticism about this book is that is not a lineup of those characters. Because it seems every time someone wants to say what a crap lineup it is, they go and say it should have a bunch of whatever characters they liked from 10 or more years ago instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I don't think anyone fully expected it to be a full on NXM or Gen X reunion book. But we certainly didn't expect or want this (although gag students + OCs was certainly expressed as a worst case scenario). This is basically Spiderman and the XMen while subbing Jubilee for Spidey. Special Ed class has been done before and no one is going to list that run as one of the greatest ever.
    Spider-Man and the X-Men sampled pretty evenly from the previous classes of X-Kids, at least: Glob and Martha/Ernst from the Morrison era, Hellion and Rockslide from NXM, and Eyeboy and Sharkgirl from Aaron's crew. In this case, the writer's deliberately veering toward blank slate characters she can build from the ground up(and QQ). So it's pretty much wholly interest in the concept and the remnants old GenX crew that's the hook so far.

There's a lot of time between now and April for Strain to drum up interest as more info comes out, but I'm pretty underwhelmed right now. Based on what we've got so far, if it's not another $5 first issue, I might give it a shot, more because I don't want another X-Kids book to crater right out of the starting gate than because this one is doing much for me. If it is another pricey launch, then meh. I'll wait for the reviews and see how deeply Amazon discounts the first trade if it sounds OK.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Please read again. I said no one cared about them before they read New X-Men, that is beforehand. No one cared about any of the New X-Men mutants that were introduced before that book started. Caring about them going in to the book was obviously not some requirement to them ending up being 'most popular'.

And yes, that generation of mutants was pretty much wiped out by Decimation, Purifiers and several other fatalities since then. Since your memory seems to need the help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_X-Men
    Elixir, Surge, Prodigy, Hellion, Rockslide, Mercury, Dust, Anole, Indra, Loa, Bling!, Celeste, Mindee, Phoebe, Armor, Blindfold, Match, Pixie, X-23 and Gentle are all still around. How is that "pretty much wiped out"?

As for a mixed cast:
    Jubilee: Gen X
    QQ: Morrison X-Men
    Bling!: New X-Men
    Eye-boy: WatXM
    Ben Deeds: Bendis X-Men
    Nature Girl: WatXM vol 2
    (and some new character)
    Why are the New X-Men a generation that encompasses different books over a period of years (Bling! is originally a Milligan creation), but Schism onwards is separated volume to volume?

Also it seems pretty much confirmed Chamber is in it, and Husk will appear. The writer also mentions wanting to bring in Mirage and Magik at some point.
    I'm sure Storm or Wolverine or some other X-Men will make an appearance on books they weren't announced to be on the actual team of too, this one included. What does that have to do with anything?

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Don't understand what? That Academy X and New X-Men are the same book? That even those few characters that were around before New X-Men had no fans and were propelled to popularity do that volume?

What I don't understand is what this has to do with me saying that much of the criticism about this book is that is not a lineup of those characters. Because it seems every time someone wants to say what a crap lineup it is, they go and say it should have a bunch of whatever characters they liked from 10 or more years ago instead.
    No, I'm saying it should've been a mix of JGS, NXM, GenX, and NM characters plus 1-2 new characters. That would've pleased pretty much everyone, instead, we get character 90% of the fandom has no interest in, and they expect 100% of us to buy it.

This is the business of making money, and this isn't going to make a lot of money. Want to develop unpopular characters? Fine, but do it along side Hellion, Armor, and Evan, for example (oh looky there, a Whedon kid, KYost kid, and a Remender/Aaron kid, a goddamn MIX of X-kid groups).

That's called common sense, and good for business.

But go ahead, keep paying for trash.

No, I'm saying it should've been a mix of JGS, NXM, GenX, and NM characters plus 1-2 new characters. That would've pleased pretty much everyone, instead, we get character 90% of the fandom has no interest in, and they expect 100% of us to buy it.

This is the business of making money, and this isn't going to make a lot of money. Want to develop unpopular characters? Fine, but do it along side Hellion, Armor, and Evan, for example (oh looky there, a Whedon kid, KYost kid, and a Remender/Aaron kid, a goddamn MIX of X-kid groups).

That's called common sense, and good for business.

But go ahead, keep paying for trash.
    Something that Marvel havent done in a long time.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

To everyone saying this is something new: it's not. This is what, the fourth time Marvel has done the "special class" idea. Its failed to catch on every time.

And only one of these characters is new. All of the others have already been in previous books, and have valid reasons to be disliked. And unless the new kid has some kind of hook we don't know about, he'll be going the same way. His design is bland, and psychometry isn't an interesting power outside of detective stories, which the author explicitly said he wouldn't be involved in. He's going to need a very good personality and storyline to be interesting.
    Cyclops was right

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Spider-Man and the X-Men sampled pretty evenly from the previous classes of X-Kids, at least: Glob and Martha/Ernst from the Morrison era, Hellion and Rockslide from NXM, and Eyeboy and Sharkgirl from Aaron's crew. In this case, the writer's deliberately veering toward blank slate characters she can build from the ground up(and QQ). So it's pretty much wholly interest in the concept and the remnants old GenX crew that's the hook so far.

There's a lot of time between now and April for Strain to drum up interest as more info comes out, but I'm pretty underwhelmed right now. Based on what we've got so far, if it's not another $5 first issue, I might give it a shot, more because I don't want another X-Kids book to crater right out of the starting gate than because this one is doing much for me. If it is another pricey launch, then meh. I'll wait for the reviews and see how deeply Amazon discounts the first trade if it sounds OK.
    Very true. I compared the two not entirely because of the cast, but rather that the book had the same 'lovable losers learning to be X-Men' theme. But honestly Spidey + the X-Men did have a better cast precisely because it was more mixed. I thought that was an OK book, fairly entertaining, a little too silly for my tastes. But looks a lot better than this does right now.

BANNED

Wow. Talk about minimal effort. Are they even trying?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Very true. I compared the two not entirely because of the cast, but rather that the book had the same 'lovable losers learning to be X-Men' theme. But honestly Spidey + the X-Men did have a better cast precisely because it was more mixed. I thought that was an OK book, fairly entertaining, a little too silly for my tastes. But looks a lot better than this does right now.
    And it gave us this panel, which lives on in infamy:

I bet "X-Men '92" isnt looking quite like the abomination that high maintenance X-fans originally thought, huh? Oh well, this is what X-fans told Marvel they wanted. "Never go back to what worked! Keep plowing ahead regardless of if you inevitably sail off the cliff!"
    Last edited by FlawedCoil82; 11-30-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    Some bands I love: Katatonia, Tool, Flaw, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, Evergrey, The Panic Division, Bush, The Birthday Massacre, Silverchair ('94-'01), Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Autumn, Klone, A Perfect Circle, Starset, This Misery Garden, Evanescence, Dead Letter Circus, Pallbearer, The Foreshadowing & tons more!

Quote Originally Posted by DreadnoughtHelldiver View Post
    Wow. Talk about minimal effort. Are they even trying?
    Nope, they dont; at least they stopped actively trying to get rid of the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    And it gave us this panel, which lives on in infamy:

Well, everyone has the right to do what they want; and that was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I bet "X-Men '92" isnt looking quite like the abomination that people originally thought, huh? Oh well, this is what X-fans told Marvel they wanted. "Never go back to what worked! Keep plowing ahead regardless of if you inevitably sail off the cliff!"

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, everyone has the right to do what they want; and that was hilarious.
    That was a compliment to the book, yes.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
    I bet "X-Men '92" isnt looking quite like the abomination that people originally thought, huh? Oh well, this is what X-fans told Marvel they wanted. "Never go back to what worked! Keep plowing ahead regardless of if you inevitably sail off the cliff!"
    People who wanted '92 to be a thing were stupidly desperate, and now they regret the choice.

I want a good X-kids book, but I refused to buy ANXM, and I refuse to buy this.

People who wanted '92 to be a thing were stupidly desperate, and now they regret the choice.

I want a good X-kids book, but I refused to buy ANXM, and I refuse to buy this.
    What about X-23 ?.