Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The earliest stuff I read were the Sunday comics that would be in the Chicago Tribune or Chicago Sun Times. Hal Foster's Prince Valiant was a favorite along with Brenda Starr by Dale Messick, who had changed her name from Dalia Messick so she could get more work by making editors think she was a guy. She was a Hoosier like me.

As for comic books, I know there were sometimes copies of Wendy the Witch, Little Lulu, Caspar the Ghost and some Batman and Superman comics that my Aunt kept at her house for her nephews.
    I hear you IM! Way back when I loved Wendy also--I had plenty of Wendy issues. Wish I could remember which ones specifically. I know I especially loved the Giant issues. And I love Dale Messick's work too!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    IIRC this cover may have been at least partially inked by Wally Wood. The comic itself lists Frank Ray as the inker (really it was Frank Giacoia according to the GCD) along with Wally Wood for the Daredevil and Matt Murdock figures. But I couldn't find an inking credit for just the cover.
    #39's cover is inked by Chic Stone. Wood likely inked/touched up the cover's Daredevil figure, as he did in the interior art for those issues in which DD guest-starred.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    You do you.
    Not quite sure how to take that. I *WAS* 7 at the time. I'm sure the adults thought it looked inoffensive like the Archie books they also bought me... plus I absolutely loved the Superman movies. How ironic is it that this book from a few months later was my second Superman comic? Scroll down a bit for commentary on the issue.
    Last edited by nx01a; 12-01-2016 at 09:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Not quite sure how to take that.
    Tongue firmly in cheek.

I *WAS* 7 at the time. I'm sure the adults thought it looked inoffensive like the Archie books they also bought me... plus I absolutely loved the Superman movies. How ironic is it that this book from a few months later was my second Superman comic? Scroll down a bit for commentary on the issue.
    That is quite the jump. From the "mushy" end of the John Byrne Superman spectrum right to the darkest one.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    What? You were waiting for Kirby to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    What? You were waiting for Kirby to leave?
    LOL! At least Kirby did the interior art for this particular issue, his final FF

I like Romita Sr., but he was just not a good fit for the FF, as he himself has admitted.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

It'll be interesting tomorrow... thinking about the criteria for voting. Still, just pick our favorite. But it definitely feels different this week. Really interesting choice of theme.
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Astonishing Member

The first comic book i read i dont remember.
    Before i even knew how to read i remember liking comic books that were in my house from my older brother.There were reprints of the first Amazing Spider-Man stories and reprints of Spidery stories from the 80s,but i can not say which ones were the first comics i read.
    I know that the first comic book i bought was a pocket comic book reprinting four Amazing Spider-Man stories.(Amazing Spider-Man#143,144 and issue #39 and 40)The cover of that comic book was the one i posted.

Tami, because that issue has some personal significance to me.

WestPhillyPunisher, because damn, that one's relevant.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Kai "the spy", mostly because I love The Riddler :P
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My vote goes to Iron Maiden for that classic Kirby FF goodness!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

ed hopper

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Greg Hatcher gets my vote this week. Pure Awesomeness.
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo