Super Moderator

Default Shelf Life - Jul 3, 2014

After 20 years away, Ron Marz goes back to the golf course to find his Other Thing, his respite from writing.

Full article here.

Boabie

I very seldom comment on anything online, Ron, but this was one of those rare times when someone writes an article that sounds spookily familiar. Especially the part about using the Marvel royalties cheque to buy golf clubs for your dad.

My Dad played a lot of golf as a young man. Gave it up when us kids came along. I felt a bit guilty over that when I found out. Dad being Dad he said he had no regrets about anything and it was fine.

When he retired he took it up again but in his late 60s struggled to get round the course with a bag of clubs. My first wage after years of university and earning nothing was to buy him a motorised golfcart. He doesn't get out much on the gold course now - he's eighty in two months - but he still has the cart and he uses it on his increasing-rare visits to the golf course. Easily one of the best purchases I've ever made, perhaps the best.
    Last edited by Boabie; 07-03-2014 at 03:49 PM.

All-New Member

Nice article! I actually, played 18 with a friend today, were both comic fans, he works in the industry. I poured a drink put up my feet and enjoyed reading this. I shot a 97 playing for 20 years and I still suck, but it's nice day here in Seattle.