Default Justice League of America #10 Discussion (Spoilers)

Just in case anyone missed the subject line, this thread includes SPOILERS. If you haven't read this issue, which came out today (11/30/16) yet and don't want to know what happens in it in advance, you may want to bookmark this thread and come back to it.

Alright, with that out of the way, here are some things...

1. It looks like this was the last book for this version of the Justice League of America. Though there is a bit left hanging with the infinity stones, I think the resolution to the Rao issue, the end of the battle, the dynamic logo at the end, and the points in point 4 of this post, indicate that if that is going to be dealt with, it's going to be in another book, not another issue of this book.

Though the original plan was 12 issues, I think 10 issues is fine under the circumstances. I'm glad they gave us a wrap-up issue, completed the story for our collections, and gave us something we can recommend to people looking for a story like this.

2. The artwork was alright. Not as good as in the earlier books, but reasonable. I wasn't quite clear on why the one panel where Superman is talking to the members of the league just prior to Rao's Krypontian fighters emerging was angled so oddly, but other than that, the artwork seemed fine. Not elite, but not bad either.

3. I saw the resolution of Rao shooting Rao coming, but I think it was the right choice. The younger Rao's vow to return to teach Krypton a better way in the past and then die also sets it up so that Superman can still say "Great Rao" and the like. There's sort of an arc of Superman meeting his god and being in awe, then being disappointed when his god turns out to have flaws, and finally respecting the god who makes mistakes and then makes things right. It's actually a little bit like Superman himself on a larger scale.

Even though the other members of the league were involved in this arc, with the Green Lantern having played a big role on ancient Krypton, Batman having basically solved the thing, and Wonder Woman having some tender moments with Superman (Not in this issue, but in the previous one), in the end, titles and casting aside, I think this arc was ultimately a Superman arc. It's his old planet, his new planet, and his god. We also see Superman taking a clear leadership role in this last issue when preparing for battle.

4. Do you guys think the ending where the keepers of the stones talk about Superman's impending "real" death and the arrival of a new Superman to combat a greater unknown danger was always going to be there, or was it inserted at the last minute to try to push people toward the Rebirth comics?

5. Aquaman established the trident he carries as being originally thought to have been possessed by his people's god, Poseidon. I'm sure we've all noted the similarities between Aquaman and Poseidon over the years. Injustice had them as separate characters living contemporaneously with their own tridents, though, whereas this book puts Poseidon in Aquaman's people's legendary past, with Aquaman the heir to his trident, and Poseidon a god like figure. The issue also showed giant sea horses at Aquaman's call above the waves.

How much of the above is already in Aquaman lore, and how much, if any, was new? I really only see Aquaman in the teamup books.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 11-30-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    4. Do you guys think the ending where the keepers of the stones talk about Superman's impending "real" death and the arrival of a new Superman to combat a greater unknown danger was always going to be there, or was it inserted at the last minute to try to push people toward the Rebirth comics?
    Thanks, I donīt see this, listen that is enough.. For what? With the current DC..

Another try to push more people in rebirth, You donīt doubt it.... DC imagine that among the people who buy the last of N52 exist a lot of people without interest in superdad.
    Last edited by adrikito; 11-30-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Looks like they've used a fill-in artist (again). I hate it when they do that. It shows a lack of respect for the artform ... especially to do it right at the end, after coming so far