Page 296 of 388 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346 ... LastLast
Results 4,426 to 4,440 of 5810

Also not sure how controversial this is but I'm sick of tyrannical or authoritarian takes on Superman and Morrison saying that Superman doesn't work as one has me cautiously optimistic about SM&tA.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Incredible Member

My controversial opinion is that the overall stories would be far better if he did change the world.

I don't mean bringing in world peace or stopping corruption everywhere. That'd be amazing but it'd also be inevitably simplistic when the "solutions" writers come up feel unrealistic even by the standards of a superpowered dude trying to fix things. I mean stuff like taking humanity to the stars, making them part of the wider galactic community and standing on their own two feet among all those powerhouses. Stuff like technology advancing so much faster with Superman preventing said advances from being crushed due to corporate greed and sharing some of Krypton's technology. I guess stopping global warming is the one "real issue" I can see Superman fixing in comics without it feeling cheap, because it is something that you can see someone of those powers managing to fix without coming across as if he were micro-managing the world. It'd also help make a World with Superman feel almost utopic compared to our own while still keeping every other social issue so there's space to tell stories of Superman stopping a war or dealing with teenage drug addiction or whatever. The degree of separation from the real world may even allow writers to take things further in this direction than they'd be normally allowed.

In short, I'd like it if the setting changed from "the world outside your window with weird elements" to "completely soft sci-fi world", because it means Superman (and Lex) have an actual effect on the world.

It's part of the reason I loved Bendis establishing the United Planets in the present or the idea at the beginning of the Tales of Metropolis back-up that Metropolis had become famous across the galaxy and aliens were starting to move there. Things like that stop Superman from coming across as wholy ineffectual, and make the whole "Man of Tomorrow" moniker mean something.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Well...nobody likes my Nightwing idea where I proposed that Jon gets his own superhero identity

Sol Invictus

So its not like I have a lot of options left
    Well.. wasn't Lor-Zod Nightwing though?

Yeah, but that's out of continuity. Lor-Zod was never fostered by Clark and Lois in the post-Rebirth continuity, never went by Chris, and is a staunch ally of his biological father now. Thus the Nightwing and Flamebird stuff of New Krypton can never have happened.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, but that's out of continuity. Lor-Zod was never fostered by Clark and Lois in the post-Rebirth continuity, never went by Chris, and is a staunch ally of his biological father now. Thus the Nightwing and Flamebird stuff of New Krypton can never have happened.
    Ah right the continuity mangling happened to that too. Hmm yeah, I guess they could have Jon do a turn as Nightwing then.

I'd really like not to recycle names, anymore. Also, it's even more overt in the bio-kid-replaces-adopted-one (which many find distasteful) if Jon gets the same codename, too.

I like the idea of superman changing the world also, just not the way that would get us talking politics or conservative vs liberal, but in a very fiction like way, as in making the world more science fiction utopia, atleast until a villain comes and destroys his great work.

There is room for Kon, Jon, and lor, no matter what some on here say,it's a lack of imagination or just straight up "screw one character for another" that stops it.

Same for Kara, Karen, Linda, cir, they can all Co exist at the same time.

Make it happen DC.

BTW why don't DC experiment with making some of their comics just like Manga, to see if they sell better
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I like the idea of superman changing the world also, just not the way that would get us talking politics or conservative vs liberal, but in a very fiction like way, as in making the world more science fiction utopia, atleast until a villain comes and destroys his great work.

There is room for Kon, Jon, and lor, no matter what some on here say,it's a lack of imagination or just straight up "screw one character for another" that stops it.

Make it happen DC.

BTW why don't DC experiment with making some of their comics just like Manga, to see if they sell better
    Like the City of Tomorrow/B13 type stuff in Metropolis?

Make it happen DC.
    There's been some interesting stories there in the past having some of them together too!

Yeah showing us some futuristic tech that is used with or around normal humans would be cool. The DCU doesn't need to look anything like the real world, thst is supposed to be Marvel's thing.

We need kon, Jon, and lor, with Kara, Karen, Linda, and Cir in one story, if it doesn't blow fans minds away because DC allowed it to happen then it will scare DC employees who only think 1 character at a time can exist or get all the push

Try Manga style comics and anime style shows DC,what could it hurt
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I would prefer that over Jon being Superman.
    My first choice is still to restore Jon to being a kid, but DC seems determined to keep pushing adult Jon.

I have to agree with your post. I would prefer Jon still being a kid. There's no reason for Superman to be losing his powers. I guess that Morrison will explain why it's happening. I do like that Kara in King's book is now 21 , but I don't know if that will be part of continuity or not. Also one pet peeve, whenever the artists draw an older Superman they give him grey hair, which doesn't make sense. Can't they draw an older looking Superman without the grey ? Lots of guys are in their 40's and early 50's and don't have grey hair.
    Jon as the adult will only last as long as sales are good.

I have thought that maybe Jon will eventually end up dying. This would give Superman his greatest tragedy and make for some compelling stories.

Yeah showing us some futuristic tech that is used with or around normal humans would be cool. The DCU doesn't need to look anything like the real world, thst is supposed to be Marvel's thing.
    The way the Superman writers are talking about the shift in status quo coming up soon, I think DC is gearing up to abandon the whole “world outside your window” they’ve been cribbing from Marvel since Crisis.
    We need kon, Jon, and lor, with Kara, Karen, Linda, and Cir in one story, if it doesn't blow fans minds away because DC allowed it to happen then it will scare DC employees who only think 1 character at a time can exist or get all the push
    Can’t see Linda ever coming back, nor Cir, but Jon, Kon, Kara, and Lor feels possible. Depends on what Taylor has planned I guess.
    Try Manga style comics and anime style shows DC,what could it hurt
    Static is pretty manga influenced in style and that new Superman cartoon definitely seems to be drawing on anime.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The way the Superman writers are talking about the shift in status quo coming up soon, I think DC is gearing up to abandon the whole “world outside your window” they’ve been cribbing from Marvel since Crisis.

Can’t see Linda ever coming back, nor Cir, but Jon, Kon, Kara, and Lor feels possible. Depends on what Taylor has planned I guess.

Static is pretty manga influenced in style and that new Superman cartoon definitely seems to be drawing on anime.
    If they do abandon it, I highly doubt it will last.

Incredible Member

I can see Linda coming back eventually. A couple of the post-Linda Supergirl creative teams have spoken of wanting to bring her back, and the current run is referencing her iconography. I can see the now post-Didio editorial allowing her return.

Cir-El... her story wasn't as popular from what I have seen, and editorial may think she'd interfere with the oh-so-precious Jon Kent, given her entire story revolves around considering herself Clark's and Lois' daughter (even if she wasn't).

I can see them abandoning the "world outside your window" approach for Superman specifically. Abandoning it for the entire DCU is too optimistic (they need their street-levellers to operate in a world recognizably similar to our own, after all), but for just Metropolis and a couple other areas (National, wherever Steel is operating these days)? Yeah, I can see them going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If they do abandon it, I highly doubt it will last.
    I disagree on account of where the Superman and Batman franchises are headed. Clark is leaving Earth for a long time and Jon is being positioned as someone who doesn’t have the same “hands off” attitude that Clark did. I get the sense that Metropolis is going to really start embodying the “City of Tomorrow” aspect. Then over in Batman you’ve got the Magistrate, and Tynion has really emphasized that he sees Gotham as evolving into something new. It’s on its way towards something like the Batman Beyond era of Gotham. Bruce is past his peak just like Clark is per Tynion, his wealth and resources have been downgraded and he himself is starting to feel his age. Given that Tynion is really selling well, I think DC is actually going to move forward for a time.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/