Page 356 of 388 FirstFirst ... 256306346352353354355356357358359360366 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 5810
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Just make jon like the monkey king.A guy who wants to have fun, learn stuff and get better.A guy causing trouble in a good way..messing up and putting things back together ..have him stay outta Clark's niche.Stop making him a superhero.Make him an adventure or explorer or fighter or archeologist or scientent(anything really),not some (dumb my opinion) savior.

Reading your post , it makes the most sense for Jon going forward.
    I have never been a fan of Jon having aged so fast , but since we have him . Let him be a more care free guy like an explorer , adventurer and definitely not a savior.
    A savior so to speak is Clark , how can anyone live up to that ?

How does the board feel about SUPERMAN FOR ALL SEASONS?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I enjoyed it, though Tim Sale's art isn't my favorite.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Gorgeous art, it’s very much not a Long Halloween or Dark Victory, it solidifies the idea of an Adult Clark Kent as a midwestern Peter Parker. Hugely influential, especially in light of Smallville. More Clark less Superman, and Clark looks like the Hulk.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Solid story but it's not for people who want big action, so make sure you know who you're recommending it to. It could backfire and make them think Clark's a sleepy character.

I don't think that, but I know people who do.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Thanks guys! An eBay seller was offering it to me but I somehow missed this and knew nothing about it. So I decided to ask the experts!!!

If it’s a good price, I would get it, it’s a good story with terrific art. I think that team did the same somber small stories for Marvel on Spider-Man, the Hulk, and I guess Captain America. There is a daredevil one too! They are all worth reading but I think the Batman stories are more fun.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Thanks guys! An eBay seller was offering it to me but I somehow missed this and knew nothing about it. So I decided to ask the experts!!!
    If you consider yourself more than a casual fan of Superman, I'd say give it a look. If nothing else, it gets referenced enough that it's good to read it once.

I remember quite liking it but it's been several years since I reread it.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I was kind of thinking Superman needs a Simpsons continuity. Nothing is canon but everything kind of is… For the past 30 years, Bart has been in fourth grade. All the Simpsons episodes basically take place in one year. I think we might just need to let anything go with Superman and who cares if one run sticks to another? Superman 78 was great and I’m rereading Morrison’s run. It doesn’t matter their not connected.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 08-05-2022 at 06:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I was kind of thinking Superman needs a Simpsons continuity. Nothing is canon but everything kind of is… For the past 30 years, Bart has been in fourth grade. All the Simpsons episodes basically take place in one year. I think we might just need to let anything go with Superman and who cares if one run sticks to another? Superman 78 was great and I’m rereading Morrison’s run. It doesn’t matter their not connected.
    Most of my favorite Superman stories are not set in regular continuity, so I'm obviously with ya, but I have a pretty good feeling that most DC readers are simply NOT.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Yup, we all want the pieces to fit.

Not to sound like a broken record but I really thought Waid and Company made it so that is exactly the way it is. With Hypertime? No?

Extraordinary Member

Not to sound like a broken record but I really thought Waid and Company made it so that is exactly the way it is. With Hypertime? No?
    Hypertime only had a brief time to be a thing before editorial largely forgot about it and then later sought to replace it with the 52 worlds idea - and even before then, they were pretty reluctant to use it as any kind of solution to contradictory stories.

Then Didio got the head job, and surprised Waid by saying his originally-out-of-continuity Brithright was suddenly the new continuity - and I believe that was also after they’d previously allowed Loeb to soft reboot much of the background as well.

There’s a weird period where the Superman books were still pretty successful overall, and yet still had guys trying to “fix” things, which gradually spiraled out of control.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Kingdom Come and Action Comics #775 aren't liked because they are well written or have interesting philosophical debates. Certain fans of classic Superman like them because they told them what they wanted to hear. 775 is also incredibly racist.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-09-2023 at 10:44 AM.

775 and Kingdom Come are a pox upon the character.

775 could have been great as an exploration of Clark's hypocrisy and tendency to lean towards the self-righteous, but it was played absolutely straight....as if Clark himself didn't have a higher body count than anyone else in the League at the time except *maybe* Aquaman (of all people).

And Kingdom Come's curse is being such a great story people forget it's a dystopia where the heroes failed, and think that's how Superman is *supposed* to be, rather than recognizing it as a flawed and incorrect version of the character the way it was (I presume) intended to be.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.