Page 380 of 388 FirstFirst ... 280330370376377378379380381382383384 ... LastLast
Results 5,686 to 5,700 of 5810
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Clark and Jon also argued over their respective approaches to fighting injustice under Taylor's pen. Clark has argued and even come to blows with Kara and Karen on a number of occasions. Conner and Clark's relationship was originally even worse than what was shown on the YJ show.

It seems like you're asking for the Super family to essentially be enemies or be abusive to each other, which is not the only form of conflict that can occur between characters. Do you really think an argument doesn't count because a punch isn't thrown?
    how can their argument mean anything when jon's approach or lack there off is same as clark under his pen? Metropolis boy ane Supes had worse relationship than young justice.I don't know.I haven't read those in ages.Don't remember.

Strawman don't mean anything.A bit of dysfunction is more like what i love.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    how can their argument mean anything when jon's approach or lack there off is same as clark under his pen?
    Except it isn't the same. Believe me, I've heard enough complaints to know that.

Strawman don't mean anything.A bit of dysfunction is more like what i love.
    I think you may be viewing conflict through too narrow a lens.

If Maxima were written like Anissa from Invincible, she would not have a fan base. If she were a man who was frequently stalking a woman for reproductive reasons, fans would demand she be killed off or be demanding she be humiliated every time she appeared. She also would not have joined the Justice League without extreme pushback from readers.

If Maxima were written like Anissa from Invincible, she would not have a fan base. If she were a man who was frequently stalking a woman for reproductive reasons, fans would demand she be killed off or be demanding she be humiliated every time she appeared. She also would not have joined the Justice League without extreme pushback from readers.
    Enh... pretty sure Anissa has fan as-is.

Fantastic Member

Plastic Man has fans, he has been member of the Justice League.

And he has on more than one occasion in modern times, disguised himself as clothes so he can perv on female superheroes. Its all played off as a joke.

Spectacular Member

I don't know if this is controversial, but something occurred to me when pondering the legacy of The Daily Planet.
    The Daily Planet is not The New York Times. I feel like stories treat it like some sort of Metropolis institution, their finest, the paper of record. Maybe that's just the romanticizing of newspapers that's been around forever. Let's not forget that it's based on the Toronto Daily Star and the old New York World; socially conscious muck-raking journalism. Not as low-brow as a tabloid (that honor would go the The Daily Bugle), but not as "objective" as the Times. For instance, they don't have separate editorial and news departments (but that may be a consequence of writers not knowing how serious newspapers work.)

I think you are right. I know this because that was ny actual opinion of her before that Armageddon 2001 annual. Then they had her act like a relatively civilized person respecting his wishes and even having a relationship with Captain Adam and Amazing Man.

Jon's timskip is a cool idea but poorly executed by Bendis. It's the crappy versiob of Boruto two vortex or the Ben 10 sequels. Im hoping Gunn's DCCU can do a better version.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh... pretty sure Anissa has fan as-is.
    Not from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Plastic Man has fans, he has been member of the Justice League.

And he has on more than one occasion in modern times, disguised himself as clothes so he can perv on female superheroes. Its all played off as a joke.
    And as much as that is a problem, it is not the same thing as stalking and raping someone for reproductive purposes.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-27-2023 at 12:27 AM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Not sure this is controversial or not but having just read AC 1057, I agree with Clark that he never actually had a mullet (in the true definition of the term). Long hair is diff than a mullet.

However, Super-mullet just sounds better than Super-long hair. But regardless of what it’s called, I like the look anyway.

But it wasn’t a mullet.
    It really depended on who was drawing Superman. There were definitely some artists who drew it like a mullet, which I perceived was their attempt to try and hide the long hair (presumably because they disliked it). Ironically, this made it look like a mullet, which was IMO worse than Superman just having long hair.

Artists who didn't mind or liked the long hair usually drew it as long hair. I never considered it a mullet either, but I also didn't like the long hair look overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I feel this says more about readers than it does the character. As originally depicted, Maxima was a villain. She wasn't meant to be idolized, liked, or related to. She was supposed to be a represenation of warrior cultures or historical figures which wanted rulers to breed perfect children to eventually rule the people. She wasn't that different than the Greek or Norse characters used widely by DC & Marvel. And we still have cultures today that try to pair heirs and heiresses together to breed perfect children, sometimes by force or without the choice to say no.

Also, Hercules being continuously depicted in popular culture despite original Greek stories depicting him as deplorable in many instances kind of discounts the notion that if Maxima were male, she wouldn't have fans.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I feel this says more about readers than it does the character. As originally depicted, Maxima was a villain. She wasn't meant to be idolized, liked, or related to. She was supposed to be a represenation of warrior cultures or historical figures which wanted rulers to breed perfect children to eventually rule the people. She wasn't that different than the Greek or Norse characters used widely by DC & Marvel. And we still have cultures today that try to pair heirs and heiresses together to breed perfect children, sometimes by force or without the choice to say no.

Also, Hercules being continuously depicted in popular culture despite original Greek stories depicting him as deplorable in many instances kind of discounts the notion that if Maxima were male, she wouldn't have fans.
    Those modern depictions tend to downplay or erase Heracles's less pleasant qualities. Kind of like what later depictions of Maxima did.

BANNED

Is Superman getting turned to Thanksgiving Dinner by Godzilla the worst thing to happen to the character this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Is Superman getting turned to Thanksgiving Dinner by Godzilla the worst thing to happen to the character this year?
    He's not dead and the writer made a note that Godzilla's atomic breath is similar to kryptonite radiation.

https://twitter.com/BrianBooch/statu...1TfdoUT0w&s=19

So yeah, it was merely for shock value.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    It really depended on who was drawing Superman. There were definitely some artists who drew it like a mullet, which I perceived was their attempt to try and hide the long hair (presumably because they disliked it). Ironically, this made it look like a mullet, which was IMO worse than Superman just having long hair.

Artists who didn't mind or liked the long hair usually drew it as long hair. I never considered it a mullet either, but I also didn't like the long hair look overall.
    Perhaps this was the inspiration for DWJs “Space Mullet” (which I hadn’t heard of until now)

https://www.gamesradar.com/early-dan...he-first-time/
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog