Page 383 of 388 FirstFirst ... 283333373379380381382383384385386387 ... LastLast
Results 5,731 to 5,745 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I'm torn on how I feel about John Henry Irons and his powerset.
    By chance, were you reading the comics back in the 90's?

I can see how one could look at the character today and ask these questions. They're definitely warranted, John has fallen far. But at the beginning? Nobody was looking at Steel as 'lesser' because he didn't have the raw power. He had what he needed where he needed it, and was a big fan favorite among the "S" fandom.

Ironically I feel like his popularity started to stall out around the time he had the entropy aegis armor, which *did* provide Kryptonian-level power (at a cost, as I recall).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, there's a bit of the Batman principle, i.e. Batman is better than Superman* because he doesn't rely on powers.

*According to a lot of folks, but not me!
    Funny thing is... Superman is more likely to actually fight fair.

As Superman fans, we shouldn't care too much about what others think about him.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, there's a bit of the Batman principle, i.e. Batman is better than Superman* because he doesn't rely on powers.

*According to a lot of folks, but not me!
    Ha!!!the guy that tries to beat people using weaknessess than try to pin people at their best.He ain't no sportsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As Superman fans, we shouldn't care too much about what others think about him.
    As if logic and rationality can dictate feelings.You can control how you act .But,how you feel is pretty damn hard to control.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-23-2024 at 11:23 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Ha!!!the guy that tries to beat people using weaknessess than try to pin people at their best.He ain't no sportsman.

As if logic and rationality can dictate feelings.You can control how you act .But,how you feel is pretty damn hard to control.
    That's an excuse, nothing more.

Not sure if this is controversial but I've been reading some older story arcs like The Death of Clark Kent and it's made me realize that I don't particularly care for Jonathan and Martha once Supes is established in Metropolis.

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Not sure if this is controversial but I've been reading some older story arcs like The Death of Clark Kent and it's made me realize that I don't particularly care for Jonathan and Martha once Supes is established in Metropolis.
    Yeah, a lot of writers ignore them entirely. Many stories have no reason to use them at all, but I don't see that as a good reason to bump them off.

I would've skipped over Jon and brought in the Super Twins during Rebirth. Othul and Osul being refugee kids from Warworld feels simpler than the timey wimey stuff used to bring in Jon.

I would've preffered them as the Future State supers but they ain't the only ones.

Kenan/lor-zod are also my picks.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2024 at 08:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah, a lot of writers ignore them entirely. Many stories have no reason to use them at all, but I don't see that as a good reason to bump them off.
    For me it is more what they really add, If the times they are used it more of them giving advice that Clark should already know or just providing a guardian for Kon- then I'd rather they be removed. If they actually provide something to the story that requires Jonathan and Martha be alive then keep them.

Right now it feels more like they are alive just because no one wants to be the one that kills them. They have no real role. Kara (both of them) are adults, Jon is an adult. If pre-Flashpoint counts Kon has actually been treated as an adult (no guardianship) between his introduction and the end of his first series. So they aren't really needed for the usual use- somewhere to dump Superman's junior realtives. They aren't needed to give Clark life advice. If they were dead (and not being killed now) what would really be different in a current story?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    For me it is more what they really add, If the times they are used it more of them giving advice that Clark should already know or just providing a guardian for Kon- then I'd rather they be removed. If they actually provide something to the story that requires Jonathan and Martha be alive then keep them.

Right now it feels more like they are alive just because no one wants to be the one that kills them. They have no real role. Kara (both of them) are adults, Jon is an adult. If pre-Flashpoint counts Kon has actually been treated as an adult (no guardianship) between his introduction and the end of his first series. So they aren't really needed for the usual use- somewhere to dump Superman's junior realtives. They aren't needed to give Clark life advice. If they were dead (and not being killed now) what would really be different in a current story?
    Well, also: why change it? What is to be gained by killing them?

Can't it also be that they are loved characters that enrich the lives of Kal, Lois, and the other supers? Or like so much that they were well portrayed by thesps of the past and people want to honour that? I really enjoyed the Kents on the Lois & Clark show and during the triangle years. There was such a strong sense of love and optimism and belonging when they were around. I just feel like supporting characters can do more than die or imperil themselves to have value

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Can't it also be that they are loved characters that enrich the lives of Kal, Lois, and the other supers? Or like so much that they were well portrayed by thesps of the past and people want to honour that? I really enjoyed the Kents on the Lois & Clark show and during the triangle years. There was such a strong sense of love and optimism and belonging when they were around. I just feel like supporting characters can do more than die or imperil themselves to have value
    You'd think that with all the complaints about superhero families becoming too crowded with other superheroes, fans would appreciate having as many civilian supporting cast members as possible.

Astonishing Member

Can't it also be that they are loved characters that enrich the lives of Kal, Lois, and the other supers?
    Sure if a writer can actually show that. Since they were restored to life in Doomsday Clock they haven't really been used that way.

Or like so much that they were well portrayed by thesps of the past and people want to honour that?
    So do we resurrect Jor-El because someone thinks Marlon Brando or Russell Crowe gave good performances? Or are their portrayals somehow being dishonored by keeping Jor-El dead in current stories?

I just feel like supporting characters can do more than die or imperil themselves to have value
    Then I'd say they need to be used in some way that gives them value. Something other than giving us an occasional Norman Rockwell scene that has no impact on the story or the characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, also: why change it? What is to be gained by killing them?
    It allows Clark to move on from Smallville and strengthens the idea that he is more than a farmboy playing at being a superhero.

And to me it was Byrne and Doomsday Clock that changed it. From 1938-1986 the Kents were not part of Superman's adult life. And they were also relegated to the past after Flashpoint.

It allows Clark to move on from Smallville and strengthens the idea that he is more than a farmboy playing at being a superhero.

And to me it was Byrne and Doomsday Clock that changed it. From 1938-1986 the Kents were not part of Superman's adult life. And they were also relegated to the past after Flashpoint.
    Move on? He already left Smallville and has a life as a reporter in Metropolis. What "moving on" is there to do?