Page 178 of 178 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178
Results 2,656 to 2,658 of 2658

I don't need for bad guys to be afraid of a beating from Superman, but I want them to know that you can't eff with the guy, because he'll always have the last say, laugh, and hurrah. That's partly why I wouldn't mind if Superman were a bit of a troll. Being physically abusive to bad guys may be overkill, but if he's making you pay somehow for being a criminal or a jerk, you stop doing that. When you're Superman, there's a level of oneupmanship that us normies just can't match, and I'm all for seeing him do it. There used to be a time when "Don't tug on Superman's cape" meant something meaningful...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is all because of Frank Miller's bullshit honestly. It's not a complaint about Superman, it's a complaint about the "idea" of Superman perpetuated by pop culture and based on DKR's character assassination. There are plenty of examples of Post Crisis Superman being intimidating or angry or "scary."
    Fun fact: Waid is referencing a Golden Age story where Supes did something very similar to what he did in Birthright. Stuff like this is something I’m a-ok with, Supes using his powers to intimidate people without actually beating them black and blue.

Heh I always get a kick when people talk about Supes always being a Boy Scout. Dude was a massive dick all the way through until DKR like you said. Silver Age Superman and Bronze Age Superman were massive trolls and Golden Age Superman could give Batman a run for his money

That said I’m generally ok with Supes not torturing people like he kinda did in the Golden Age and how Batman does these days. I’d rather see Supes use his powers or his brains to get around people in his way then seeing something like the Arkham Knight torture scene with the Batmobile. I don’t see Superman’s respect for civil liberties as a “weakness” honestly.
    Last edited by Vordan; Today at 12:01 PM.

Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I don't really care about him being cool or not myself but I also see that saying alot about "Superman never was cool so you shouldn't try to make him". I must have saw that phrase about a half million times when the N52 dropped along with "kewl" but I think even a blind man would say Golden Age Supes was a lot cooler than Modern Supes. He just has characteristics more people envy while Post-Crisis Superman really only had powers people envied even if they appreciated his existence.

I've noticed a lot of people that seemed to prefer Post-Crisis Superman kind of need a distraction from him at the same time. They need the marriage, The Kents, and now Jon because there really isn't much going on in the modern guys head. You just can't do much with him because his character is fairly limited and that's kind of modern ideology; every character should have a certain role they play and should stay within the parameters of that role. So yeah you get characters that are all very clearly different from each other but they're much more limited in utility that their Pre-Crisis selves imo. It plays out pretty clear in the clip Docha played Batman's schtick is that he's intimidating, so Superman ,a character played as Batman's opposite is a cupcake. Almost more like a boy band or something, sensitive one, bad boy, jokester, etc.
    Yeah! That's me. I realised this after jon was taken of the board and i was left with the guy. The drama just put me to out of it. There were other elements ofcourse, but those all just overshadowed by senseless boring drama. It's just not my thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    This is all because of Frank Miller's bullshit honestly. It's not a complaint about Superman, it's a complaint about the "idea" of Superman perpetuated by pop culture and based on DKR's character assassination. There are plenty of examples of Post Crisis Superman being intimidating or angry or "scary."

It is. And dc, it's writer are also complicit in that. That's why people get whiplash when superman gets pissed and puts a wifebeater through a wall or something . They have perpetuated the saint nonsense so much that a section won't be able to handle a morally ambiguous superman. So,they do what has to be done, tear him down. Birthright is great. But, was it kept? They went right back to secret origins. Which is tame and boring.Sure, some writers don't play to that perception. Most do.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; Today at 11:57 AM.