Page 346 of 388 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Superman's powers have always made sense, it's the Speed Force that makes no sense.
    I don't necessarily agree there. I thought that with Superman's tremendous invulnerability, compromise to his form would take some time to heal (minus accessing non-standard stuff from the bag of cheese each character has). However I often read that he heals instantly and is okay with the pain to boot. From a balance perspective that doesn't make sense to me

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I don’t think Superman should have a vulnerability to sonic attacks. For me the invulnerability trumps any attack save for magic, Kryptonian level foes, kryptonite, or red sun radiation. And because he has such specific vulnerabilities, he should have nonspecific limits when it comes to his powers.

Retired

I'm a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Whenever this stuff comes up, I have to point out that speed makes very little sense in the comic book universe.

I'm a broken record.
    This is very true! Especially when we look at the actual science and physics of light speed and post light speed velocity.

The one place in comics where speed was done 'realistically ' was William Messner-Loebs Flash run where for whatever reason he was topped out at the spped of sound.

Astonishing Member

Didn't the MCU show us that no one really cares how someone picks up something heavy or how someone most super fast. Like all that stuff where they tried to ground Superman's powers in the 80's/90's was completely pointless. No one cares why his clothes don't rip, or why things don't tear apart when he picks them up.

Also say what you will about the N52 but it killed that "naive" junk the modern writers tried to tie to Superman. I haven't seen it since then except maybe briefly when the Post-Crisis Superman came back and they tried to revert back to it.
    Last edited by The World; 06-28-2022 at 03:19 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

supermans powers should be explained as turning on like a switch when sunlight hits them, the more it hits him the more he gets powerful.this process should strengthen and amplify his bodily abilities,but also make every cell in his body burn with psychic energy, which he uses to amplify these powers even more, and use them in ways that defy normal psyics.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Because the fight was faked to fool President Regan. Hell Superman could've easily killed Bruce when heat visioned when he asked "Where?" in Bruce's garden. Plus Superman knew Bruce was alive and chose to let him go underground and build his army. The one with the outdated concept is you. Frankly I'm sick of Miller's version of Batman it's makes Batman at best into a fascist and worse a sociopath murdering fascist. I think Batman: Year One, Batman: Hush, and Batman: The Long Halloween are boring stories with stellar artwork and Batman: Killing Joke just flat sucks. The Dark Knight Returns is over rated and is outdated as hell.

So how about this controversial opinion: How about a Superman and Batman live action movie as friends who occasionally disagree but respect each other and see each other as equals and save the world together as the World's Finest? Not trying to "beat" each other up to fool a president or over ideologies, philosophies, or whatever convoluted nonsense Lex was doing in BvS in that mess.
    Ah yes!the comic book fandom and dumb dictonomy of "edgy" and fun..Not to say following some dumb trend is mark of creativity.be that as a may,batman is a sociopath and murdering facist...why can't he be? because it's not in character? what a noble idea about a palimpsest..

I don't really care about them being enemies or friends..All i care for entertainment like you..That we can agree on..if you are gonna write something,anything..ideologies, philosophies or whatever you talk about would naturally make their way into them
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-28-2022 at 08:56 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    supermans powers should be explained as turning on like a switch when sunlight hits them, the more it hits him the more he gets powerful.this process should strengthen and amplify his bodily abilities,but also make every cell in his body burn with psychic energy, which he uses to amplify these powers even more, and use them in ways that defy normal psyics.
    The downside of that "as soon as the sun hits him" is that we get writers using it in reverse and having him weakened by being in a dark room or underground. I prefer my Supermen less vulnerable to everyday situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    The downside of that "as soon as the sun hits him" is that we get writers using it in reverse and having him weakened by being in a dark room or underground. I prefer my Supermen less vulnerable to everyday situations.

hence me saying the more it hits him the more he gets powerful, which means solar reserves, which means he is never getting weaker from turning out the lights.

This is the easiest and smartest way to explain his powers. it also brings in his original power explanation, and all the stuff that he can do that shouldn't be possible.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Well, that was Nuclear Man.

Retired

I like the first part of this. That's my take. Yellow--on/red--off. But I don't like the idea that his cells store the energy. Cells are too macro level. I prefer to think that there's something sub-atomic that powers all Kryptonians. This something is dormant when electro-magnetism of 700 nanometres from the sun hits it, but it wakes up when electro-magnetism of 580 nanometres from the sun hits it. It might feed on that energy--but it's probably feeding on that energy in its dormant state, also.

Particles that are very very small behave differently from particles we see on the macro level. That gives the writers more flexibility to make stuff up.

I like the first part of this. That's my take. Yellow--on/red--off. But I don't like the idea that his cells store the energy. Cells are too macro level. I prefer to think that there's something sub-atomic that powers all Kryptonians. This something is dormant when electro-magnetism of 700 nanometres from the sun hits it, but it wakes up when electro-magnetism of 580 nanometres from the sun hits it. It might feed on that energy--but it's probably feeding on that energy in its dormant state, also.

Particles that are very very small behave differently from particles we see on the macro level. That gives the writers more flexibility to make stuff up.

I'm not gonna act like I'm a scientist to understand stuff like thst, but I just know when sunlight hits him a chemical reaction in every cell in his body starts happening which makes him physically a super - man, but also makes him burst with psychic energy, which explains the rest of his abilities.

Astonishing Member

I'm not gonna act like I'm a scientist to understand stuff like thst, but I just know when sunlight hits him a chemical reaction in every cell in his body starts happening which makes him physically a super - man, but also makes him burst with psychic energy, which explains the rest of his abilities.
    Still prefer the pre-Crisis take, even if it was never handled correctly. Kryptonians are designed to deal with a world with higher gravity and stresses. So at the very core of his being Superman is super.

He is super on Krypton. Everyone native is super. We just don't see it because the conditions are so different. Some portion of what we consider Superman's super-strength is just what it takes the average guy to stand-up and walk at a reasonable pace on that world. What we think of as super-hearing or vision over a wide spectrum is what it takes to see things and hear things on that world. Joe Average would be crushed and mangled by gravity if suddenly transported there. We'd think high noon on Krypton was the darkest night around. Someone yelling at the top of their lungs might create a sllight buzz.

Off Krypton, on a world with more reasonable gravity, Superman is like a man on the moon- leaping farther than he could on Krypton and finding objects considerably lighter. Even if that world is under a red sun. His body is simply naturally designed that way.

The yellow sun has the effect as well. Kryptonians bodies couldn't get all the nourishment they needed to survive Krypton by eating. So they evolved a natural ability to use the red sun's energy to supplement their biological energy needs. This ability under a yellow sun is kicked way onto overdrive. Instead of getting an extra boost on top of his Wheaties, he now gets enough energy to power a city even if he doesn't eat anything.'

The only drawback is that outside of magic or super-science (that is advanced enough to act like magic) there isn't a lot of space for stories based around Superman being forced to human level on Earth. Even with a dead battery the guy's body is still invulnerable. making him into someone on Batman's level while on Earth would be like making a goldfish into a pigeon
    Last edited by Jon Clark; 06-29-2022 at 10:25 PM.

That is one concept does a lot more in your face than DC that I do not agree with. 'Science so advanced it acts like magic'.
    In my mind there are demarcations and limits for conventional fare.

Still prefer the pre-Crisis take, even if it was never handled correctly. Kryptonians are designed to deal with a world with higher gravity and stresses. So at the very core of his being Superman is super.

He is super on Krypton. Everyone native is super. We just don't see it because the conditions are so different. Some portion of what we consider Superman's super-strength is just what it takes the average guy to stand-up and walk at a reasonable pace on that world. What we think of as super-hearing or vision over a wide spectrum is what it takes to see things and hear things on that world. Joe Average would be crushed and mangled by gravity if suddenly transported there. We'd think high noon on Krypton was the darkest night around. Someone yelling at the top of their lungs might create a sllight buzz.

Off Krypton, on a world with more reasonable gravity, Superman is like a man on the moon- leaping farther than he could on Krypton and finding objects considerably lighter. Even if that world is under a red sun. His body is simply naturally designed that way.

The yellow sun has the effect as well. Kryptonians bodies couldn't get all the nourishment they needed to survive Krypton by eating. So they evolved a natural ability to use the red sun's energy to supplement their biological energy needs. This ability under a yellow sun is kicked way onto overdrive. Instead of getting an extra boost on top of his Wheaties, he now gets enough energy to power a city even if he doesn't eat anything.'

The only drawback is that outside of magic or super-science (that is advanced enough to act like magic) there isn't a lot of space for stories based around Superman being forced to human level on Earth. Even with a dead battery the guy's body is still invulnerable. making him into someone on Batman's level while on Earth would be like making a goldfish into a pigeon

Well your idea and my idea kinda work together, or atleast could pretty easily. see I see his powers as part physical (amp everything up to super levels thst a regular human can do), and psychic for everything else, but seen as just the same powers ampled up even more.

My way gives writers more room to mess with superman a lot more, less viltrumite, more ways to get him crossed up.

BTW it's pretty obvious he has energy powers, both superman and lois and the Henry Cavill superman both showed the same psychic "extra" lift needed, so it's absolutely totally a thing no matter what others think of it.