Page 239 of 388 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 5810
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If the likes of Gamora, Star-Lord, Drax, the Fantastic Four, Rocket Raccoon, Adam Strange, Vril Dox and Mr Miracle could have cosmic stories then it is inaccurate to claim post-crisis Superman was too weak for cosmic stories.
    If he's gonna have comic stories anyway, why not just leave him at his pre-Crisis level?

Either way, a cosmic adventure for him is not going to play out exactly the same way as it would for any of the characters you mentioned. That's why these are all different characters.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, and the great thing is the cosmic scope neutralizes his power set anyway because he can just run into beings who are his level, greater or he finds an environment that saps him of his strength-- and you can do the opposite next issue! Cosmic Superman is underrated.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, and the great thing is the cosmic scope neutralizes his power set anyway because he can just run into beings who are his level, greater or he finds an environment that saps him of his strength-- and you can do the opposite next issue! Cosmic Superman is underrated.
    Him losing his powers is a massively overused storyline, even more than Evil Superman. I’m not eager to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If he's gonna have comic stories anyway, why not just leave him at his pre-Crisis level?

Either way, a cosmic adventure for him is not going to play out exactly the same way as it would for any of the characters you mentioned. That's why these are all different characters.
    The difference is that those guys were specifically designed with being cosmic characters in mind (most of them anyway) and their cosmic adventures are the norm. Superman is a lot more difficult because he isn't always in space.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-19-2020 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Him losing his powers is a massively overused storyline
    I'd say that applies to power loss stories in general.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Him losing his powers is a massively overused storyline, even more than Evil Superman. I’m not eager to see it again.
    I'm fine with it in the context of space, but admittedly I just prefer him fighting people his level or stronger on his own out in space.

BANNED

While I think that's all true, I think that the reason DC never takes any chance with Cosmic Superman is if he goes to have an adventure as a Superhero in space... Then whatever happened to 5 Earth Green Lanterns? and aside from that, I believe it's just that the writers of Superman just really wanted to write him in Metropolis. So, I believe only in Future State like this you can write to him in space, and even then to get Superstar writer to write Superman as Space Gladiator might be a little too much for them. Because what they wanted is writing Superman as Superman in Metropolis.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    While I think that's all true, I think that the reason DC never takes any chance with Cosmic Superman is if he goes to have an adventure as a Superhero in space... Then whatever happened to 5 Earth Green Lanterns? and aside from that, I believe it's just that the writers of Superman just really wanted to write him in Metropolis. So, I believe only in Future State like this you can write to him in space, and even then to get Superstar writer to write Superman as Space Gladiator might be a little too much for them. Because what they wanted is writing Superman as Superman in Metropolis.
    Weirdly enough I feel the opposite. Seems like Superman writers can’t wait to get out of Metropolis, the city feels rather undercooked these days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Weirdly enough I feel the opposite. Seems like Superman writers can’t wait to get out of Metropolis, the city feels rather undercooked these days.
    ... This maybe makes my next controversial opinion a bit on-topic: the Metropolis of the early Kelly and Loeb run, with B-13 technology all over the place, and STAR Labs and Intergang on crack cocaine, is better than all other alternatives,

Making the Earth-born hometown of Supes basically a gigantic Sci-Fi enclave on an otherwise mundane Earth is a brilliant idea, and unlike with most of the Silver Age revanchism that infected the Superman books afterwards, Crazy Sci-Fi Metropolis is actually more fantastic than what they replaced it with.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    ... This maybe makes my next controversial opinion a bit on-topic: the Metropolis of the early Kelly and Loeb run, with B-13 technology all over the place, and STAR Labs and Intergang on crack cocaine, is better than all other alternatives,

Making the Earth-born hometown of Supes basically a gigantic Sci-Fi enclave on an otherwise mundane Earth is a brilliant idea, and unlike with most of the Silver Age revanchism that infected the Superman books afterwards, Crazy Sci-Fi Metropolis is actually more fantastic than what they replaced it with.
    Every time the subject has come up, most of us seem to prefer Metropolis being more of a science fiction/cyberpunk city over the knockoff NYC we usually get. Not all of us, there are a few here who don’t like the high tech Metropolises, but I myself would take cyberpunk Metropolis in a heartbeat. It gives Metropolis qualities that actually make it feel like a City of Tomorrow. Of course I would happily just make the whole place into a copy of Cyberpunk 2077’s Night City since that to me is the exact type of place a city where Lex Luthor is king and needs Superman to protect it should be like.

Astonishing Member

It's annoying whenever people say that Superman is unrelatable because he's "perfect". I feel like the most relatable part of Superman is that he tries to be perfect.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It's annoying whenever people say that Superman is unrelatable because he's "perfect". I feel like the most relatable part of Superman is that he tries to be perfect.
    he ain't perfect.He is just that kid in the class that tries to make "behave".Essentially,a class moniter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    he ain't perfect.He is just that kid in the class that tries to make "behave".Essentially,a class moniter.
    You honestly remind me of Nagito Komaeda with your talk of what Superman should be like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's not unique to Clark, and part of his charm in and out of universe - like Nightwing. It also provides material for relationships with other super-heroes and villains who don't follow that logic, like Batman and Lex Luthor.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

You honestly remind me of Nagito Komaeda with your talk of what Superman should be like.
    Nah!that wasn't about what superman should be like. It was about how he is known as.Moreover,clark Kent as he portrayed isn't a perfectionist.Lex is.he is the guy that constantly tries to be best.

Finally,if I wrote Supes the story would be a lot more a western.Boyscout superman he ain't gonna be
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-22-2020 at 09:21 AM.