Page 139 of 388 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 5810
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Yeah I was gonna commend you because those aren't common suggestions at all.

I do think Superman is closer to Saul and the Molemen than that tone set by the DK trilogy. Cage works that way especially since he's kind of a draw for tv. But I won't fan cast anyone but Hammer. Or... Jordan. For whatever reason we're not ready for a black Clark even though it makes no difference, but at this point Calvin can work just perfectly as a new status quo and being so far out from Obama we're likely to get a fresher story

Period stuff I don't love though. To me it sounds like saying he doesn't work for today... or tomorrow.
    Thank you!

Saul of the Mole Men is a great point of reference for what I was pointing towards with Nic Cage. I think him being older now works really well for the kind of tone it'd need. Something campy and darker for a late night creature feature audience. Robocop has the perfect aesthetic and tone too. Maybe Paul Verhooven would direct it!

I think a Michael B Jordan would rock as Clark Kent, especially for a more mainstream Superman flick. Adam Driver would be interesting too. Both those guys would deliver a hell of a performance.

I'd like Jon Hamm in a Superman joint that's a bit more long form. Something akin to Adventures of Superman. I guess it doesnt HAVE to be a period piece!

Oh, and Rashida Jones as Lois Lane all the way. In anything.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Lately I'm really into Lois Lane being a Dana Scully type FBI agent tracking an enigmatic "Clark Kent" who always seems to be wherever trouble is. Jimmy Olsen as Clark's confident.

Lex Luthor as a uber wealthy elite who wants Clark's power for himself and is an enemy of Special Agent Lois Lane, FBI.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-12-2020 at 07:21 PM.

Can Larry Niven's take on Superman's sex life be dropped already? This essay is only brought up to fuel a ship war between superwonder and clois fans anyways.

Ugh, I take a particular issue with certain superwonder and clois fans. They are the ones who really need to stop insulting, showing zero respect, and assuming bad faith of each other out of defense for their preferred ship.
    Last edited by Crabble; 01-12-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Is that the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing? That essay was used before Superwonder ever made it into regular continuity. It's been used to argue the merits (or lack thereof) of Clark being married, of whether he should be more earth based or more space based.....all kinds of topics.

Like a bad penny, it keeps turning up.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Is that the "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" thing? That essay was used before Superwonder ever made it into regular continuity. It's been used to argue the merits (or lack thereof) of Clark being married, of whether he should be more earth based or more space based.....all kinds of topics.

Any penny I can keep finding is welcome in my book.

The whole argument sucks because it seems to forget he's been using the restroom his whole life. The concept of discharging something from his body would have come up long before he's sexually active, but it's a non-issue so who cares?

Frankly without that essay, shippers would find something else to attack. It's how this thing goes.

Exactly.

I never understood the argument anyway. I mean, how does that work? Clark has enough control over his involuntary bodily functions that he doesn't destroy everything around him, he can exert a ridiculous amount of control over every aspect of his biology.....but he can't extend that to having sex? There's no internal logic to that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Its goofy as a basis of argument for anything, really. I've never once even entertained this thought process in regards to anything I like or don't. Its always been more of a joke to me than anything else. I couldn't care less if it makes sense or not on a physical level whether Superman can have sex with humans. Its not something to even be witnessed on page anyway; its completely irrelevant.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Lately I'm really into Lois Lane being a Dana Scully type FBI agent tracking an enigmatic "Clark Kent" who always seems to be wherever trouble is.
    I've thought about that for a while, too. I guess in a strange way it came to mind watching Castle on syndication, after Stana Katic played Lois Lane in one of the (not so good) Superman DTV animated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its always been more of a joke to me than anything else.
    Same. Poking fun at Superman's unrealistic nature invites such jokes, and this just happens to be of the bathroom-humor variety.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 01-14-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Exactly.

I never understood the argument anyway. I mean, how does that work? Clark has enough control over his involuntary bodily functions that he doesn't destroy everything around him, he can exert a ridiculous amount of control over every aspect of his biology.....but he can't extend that to having sex? There's no internal logic to that.
    People who push this argument seems to assume that you do everything with full strength all the time. Which is ridiculous. Do you exert the same amount of strength/effort to pick up a pair of shoes as you would a log? No, you would adjust it accordingly. The second assumption is that Superman's invulnerability means he is hard as a bronze statue which doesn't sound right either. I imagine that his skin is soft to the touch and feel like human skin but it's not penetrable by bullets.

Frank Miller is a proponent of it, so it's not just a few crank shippers on Tumblr and Twitter that are obsessed with that garbage.
    Though they are by far the most vocal about it with respect to Lois and Steve Trevor to a lesser extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Frank Miller is a proponent of it, so it's not just a few crank shippers on Tumblr and Twitter that are obsessed with that garbage.
    Though they are by far the most vocal about it with respect to Lois and Steve Trevor to a lesser extent.
    Miller also thinks Clark can hold his powers in like a poop

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Frank Miller supporting the argument does not do the argument any favors.

So it's not just cranks on twitter, it's cranks in the professional field too.

~ Black Panther.

Frank Miller supporting the argument does not do the argument any favors.

So it's not just cranks on twitter, it's cranks in the professional field too.
    Oh, that was definitely meant to be implied.

Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex made me deeply uncomfortable the first time I read it, and I don't think that particular reading of it has really changed. It's gross. Superman should be able to have normal, high quality relations with his love interest, and if that means ignoring some laws of physics or whatever, I'm fine with that. It's not like he wasn't already doing that by flying.

I don't even really ship with Wonder Woman any more. I used to, but I got so tired of it, and I like Steve a lot more than I used to.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

TBH I don't think I've ever actually bothered to read the original texts. I've only ever heard it second-hand and just always took it as a joke. I mean, I knew it was based off of something serious but just never paid any attention to it. As a fan of Superman having other love interests in various stories, Wonder Woman being chief among them, humans not being able to "handle" Clark doesn't register even a bit as the most remote of reasons why. I don't care to imagine any "realities" of whom he should or shouldn't be able to physically be with.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-15-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El