Page 8 of 388 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Current continuity can handle having 2 Superman both the real one hanging around. Superman Reborn will be the return of New 52 Superman.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    People who are really into comics and have bought every Superman title for the last thirty years might be really enthused by the current state of affairs--but for the rest of us it's confusing as all get-out. And for anyone who thinks they might want to pick up a Superman comic, just to step a toe in to see if it's something they'd like, I don't see how it's possible to understand what the heck is going on.

I dunno myself. And I'm not going to spend hundreds of dolllars buying back issues and collected editions, wasting my time reading for months, just to put it all together.

The only way I can read these comics is by ignoring a lot of what is going on and trying to find a simple anecdote within a given issue that lends itself to some comprehension. I'm just hoping, when all the dust has settled, DC will have an easy to understand origin story for Clark that can be summed up in a few sentences and makes a lick of sense.
    This is a great post. Agreed with all of it.

We assume they need to know everything like we do....
    I'm the complete opposite Superman fan. If somebody comes to me and asks me to suggest something to them or asks me my opinion on the books, the first thing I tell them is to forget continuity and go with self contained stories or certain trades or graphic novels that has a singular story that isn't convoluted in an already convoluted genre. Me, personally, I seek backstory and continuity but I'm the type of reader that will take a good comic book at face value, throw away the headache of continuity and just enjoy it.

As a Superman fan, I don't want to know everything. It's virtually impossible on every level, but that's the fun of it all. There's knowledge to be had everywhere. It can be quite confusing but at the same time, I love learning something new everyday about comics or past Superman events that I stumble upon (these forums help to research.) So most of the fun for me is to keep seeking information. That's fun to me but I'll never hold a new reader hostage. I'm glad to tell them that they won't know everything and to enjoy what they enjoy.

Most of mine have already been listed by others, so maybe they're not so controversial , however:

- He's smart and aware from babyhood
    - He's super-curious and has the intelligence and capability to go with it
    - He knows and speaks all spoken Earth languages and writes/reads those that have a written form
    - Powerless he isn't 'powerless' - he doesn't become human was exposed to the red sun, and the only way to render him human is if someone like Mxy wanted him to be or a group of mages used their collective abilities to make him so (less of them are needed for a temporary change but if they're trying to make it permanent then they better rally together)
    - He's not 'vulnerable' to magic in the way that has often been depicted - that anything and everything 'magical' will make him keel over. A sword enchanted to cut through any rock or metal won't cut him, regardless of him being called 'The Man of Steel'; a sword enchanted to cut anything, though, can cut him
    - He's older than he looks - his adventures across time and space have had him experience decades of time, without showing it. Sure, he tends to arrive back on Earth not too long after he had gone, but a month in another dimension is still a month in another dimension, even if only an hour has passed
    - Perry knows (and Clark knows that Perry knows and Perry knows that Clark knows that Perry knows)
    - He spends time with and shares ideas with a range of leading scientists in various fields
    - He works with a number of agencies across the globe, tracking down and dealing with the darker elements of humanity
    - He's not naive
    - He tries to see the best in people "but if it's a whuppin' you're a wantin'" he'll step up
    - Most of the time he never hits anything
    - He's a walking crime-lab (and that ticks Batman off at times)
    - He's as fast as the Flash but because he isn't tied to the Speed Force his speed is more destructive, so he has to rein it in. In a multiple-snatch-and-grab situation the Flashes are more suited to the job than Superman is
    - He is highly resistant to telepathy but open to allowing someone like J'onn to reach out to him; mind control almost never works on him - you have have to be someone like J'onn or Xavier-plugged-into-Cerebro plus accelerated by someone like Wally in order to even be in with a chance of nudging his brain a certain way (although, fine, prolonged exposure to Kryptonite can slow his brain functions down enough to make him susceptible, but you would have to keep exposing him at a certain level in order to maintain the control, and so sacrifice his higher power levels)
    - Clark Kent is almost never seen at the Daily Planet but files stories dealing with social issues, scientific advancements, local crime, international crime etc remotely
    - Clark Kent is a little like Colombo
    - His colleagues like him but tend not to invite him to things because they don't know if he'll want to come or they assume he's going to be busy (because he usually is)
    - He had a similar 'problem' growing up
    - He spent time with the Legion of Superheroes
    - He checks up on the people he has saved, especially those who were/are particularly vulnerable
    - Kryptonian tech is so advanced that it's almost 'magical' and Lex (and Kal, really) only has a rudimentary understanding of it

BANNED

The Death of Superman is a terrible story driven by nothing but money and a dearth of imagination. The 90's were atrocious for comics and Superman comics of that decade where some of the worst.

Action Comics as it is just now are some of the worst Super-comics since aforementioned decade.

Having Superman as a regular type Superhero who patrols Metropolis is a waste of everyones time and effort. He's the biggest player in the game and all of time and space is his stomping ground.

The mild-mannered Clark Kent is the way to go. This part of his secret identity should positively scream, "This man is not worth your attention!". It is supposed to be the very definition of 'Hiding In Plain Sight'. Metropolitan Clark that would introduce Jimmy to the fashion models that lived in his high-rise apartment building was a smug upper-class douche and figuratively light-years away from his Common-Man sensibilities.

Supermans greatest superpower is his ability to do the most dramatic thing at the most dramatic moment. He's as fast as the next fastest guy; as smart as the next smartest guy; as strong as the next strongest guy - but when it comes to that Second Act 'All Is Lost Moment' - Superman will pull something unfathomable out his hoop. Whether it is tearing apart a star or pulling the Unified Field Theory out of his back pocket; Superman does the impossible. When characters are discussing his power levels, they can explain him in terms of, "His only seeming limit is the speed of light".

The Super-marriage is detrimental to the long-term health of the franchise.

I honestly believe that without another line-wide hard-reboot, the best thing for the Super-books is to be rid of Clark/Superman (dead, missing or retired; preferably dead for thematic purposes), quickly age Jon to his mid to late teens and have him take over the mantle.

Jon Kent (Smith? White? Who cares?) sucks.
    Last edited by Kid_Quantum; 12-04-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    And for anyone who thinks they might want to pick up a Superman comic, just to step a toe in to see if it's something they'd like, I don't see how it's possible to understand what the heck is going on.

I dunno myself. And I'm not going to spend hundreds of dolllars buying back issues and collected editions, wasting my time reading for months, just to put it all together.
    *Shrug*
    We all started decades after the fact. We're literally a small crowd of people who have been sucked in by convolution. As a kid, the only Superman I got my hands on were shredded up back issues from Exile that I found in an antique store and whatever they had at the North Broad card shop. Sometimes that was just Action, or just Steel, or nothing at all that month. And the year I climbed on board, 2006, was terrible.

Usually the worst complaints about hoe messed up a comic is comes by was of a complex synopsis that could only come from a comic fan. Issue to issue someone may not like the stories but they hand you all you need to know, sometimes excessively. Meanwhile, somewhere out there, the Star Wars AU has a dedicated fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Quantum View Post
    The 90's were atrocious for comics and Superman comics of that decade where some of the worst.
    Enigma, Doom Patrol, Shade, Orion, Martian Manhunter, JLA, Flash, Invisibles, and LEGION era? i guess.

Metropolitan Clark that would Jimmy to the fashion models that lived in his high-rise apartment building was a smug upper-class douche and figuratively light-years away from his Common-Man sensibilities.
    When was that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    When was that?
    Mullet era. Trial of Superman or Death of Clark Kent. Cant remember.

Both terrible anyway.

How was he smug and upper class? Really, Clinton st itself would be for the affluent in just about any era. He was maybe a bit under Seinfeld, but as a single man of about 30 with a steady job, it's kinda hard to get on him for having money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    How was he smug and upper class?
    By being written in a manner that made him appear smug and upperclass.

By being written in a manner that made him appear smug and upperclass.
    Hmm... there were occasions where he seemed to talk down to Jimmy, but I don't recall ever thinking he came across as 'smug and upperclass'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Hmm... there were occasions where he seemed to talk down to Jimmy, but I don't recall ever thinking he came across as 'smug and upperclass'.
    That's cool.

But I did.

That's cool.

But I did.
    You're sure you're not thinking of the Day of the Krypton Man saga?

I know you said it was Mullet-era but I'm racking my brain trying to figure out when this might have happened. Likely I had a different perspective when reading them all those years ago

That's cool.

But I did.

Yeah. I mean it's not like I can challenge opinions, but they interest me, in where they come from and how they're maintained. I'd be bummed if people were just laying them down and taking off, haha.

That made me think about the idea that people find Clark Kent too good to be an everyman. The kids who read Man of Steel were largely adults by say, 1995. They could have literally been Clark if not better without that pesky double life. So the idea of making him lesser in education or finances because of a likelihood that the readers didn't reflect that sounds a bit depressing for a writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    You're sure you're not thinking of the Day of the Krypton Man saga?

I know you said it was Mullet-era but I'm racking my brain trying to figure out when this might have happened. Likely I had a different perspective when reading them all those years ago
    Nah. It's deffo either 'Trial of Superman' or 'Death of Superman'. I'd dig it out, but can't be bothered, to be honest :P

In the scene, Jimmy is all tongue tied cos he and Clark are sharing a lift with some supermodel. Clark then casually introduces Jimmy to her. Jimmy is all flabbergasted and Clark just pure nonchalantly/ condescendingly (smug and douche-y from my perspective) mentions about the celebrities that live in his building.

Clark Kent living the affluent 90's lifestyle. I hated that stuff.

Retired

When I see "Trial of Superman," I immediatly think of this comic--

Granted it's not called the Trial of Superman, but it has Superman on trial and is probably one of the best Superman stories that I've ever read. I read it just a few years ago for the purpose of my blog (the second part of a two-parter where Superman is put on trial for killing Lex Luthor). I'd read it before, of course, but I was surprised just how good it was.

"Death of Superman" brings this to mind at once--

Mind you, I was too young to read these when they came out on the stands. Too bad my older brother wasn't into super-hero comics--he spent his allowance on baseball cards. But I did get these comics more recently. And they've both been reprinted a few times over.

I feel like whenever DC does a story that recycles ideas from earlier comics, they should reprint the original story at the back of the book (without raising the cover price significantly). Or at least include a URL so readers can find a scanned version of the original online. Certainly when they do collected editions they should throw in the original story--just to show where the idea came from.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Superman should be the smartest humanoid in the galaxy. The ultimate humanoid specimen and physically the most powerful entity in the galaxy.

His powers should be the product of Kryptonian super science not solar symbiosis. He should be super powerful no matter where he goes yellow, red, white, blue no matter the color of the sun. It shouldn't matter if there isn't any sun.
    His only weakness should be kryptonite and at some point he should outgrow it. There shouldn't be other kryptonians with the exception of Zod, Faora and Non (imprisoned in the phantom zone). The only remnants of Krypton should be its technology, science and relics. Supergirl and Superboy should be humans whose powers were granted by Kryptonian super-science at the behest of Superman.

I think the superverse is so wide and deep that Superman could have endless adventures within it without ever having to take part in any crossover involving the Justice League or the DCU at large.

Superman shouldn't interact with Batman (not that much at least). The Batverse simply doesn't have any believable challenge for Superman. His best friend and super hero partner should be Steel aka John Henry Irons.

Ma and Pa should be alive (I changed my mind) They should play for Superboy/Girl the same role they played for Clark when he was growing up. And Clark should go back to the farm whenever the Universe start looking too big and heavy to carry. I wouldn't have Clark seeking their advice all the time. He will just go back to the farm to disconnect himself from the noise.

Clark should work at Starlabs not the daily planet. It's time for science geek Clark.

I see kryptonians as a species that tried to better theirself through science,kinda how we are but a million times more extreme.the difference between a kryptonian and a martian is that a martian evolved into a being who wanted to be one with the rest of their species and their world,while kryptonian wanted to become gods in everyway,so 2 totally different desires and outcomes.this is also why I believe martians should NEVER be as powerful as a kryptonian,nor most of any species.throughtout the universe.

Yes it's cool.to see Superman with the JL and Batman,BUT he should only be around them in small doses and for the big DC events.

I like the idea that Clark has a place to get away from the craziness of his life in smallville.

Clark really does need to be a online blogger,where he doesn't show up for work at a fixed place,more he writes as he goes,and then uploads.

Superman should.work with earth's Best scientist,NOT Clark,clark should not run in any of the same circles as Superman,they should not overlap in anyway.

I like your idea of kryptonian tech being used to create a Superboy/girl,but I like kara and I think she brings a lot to the super verse.kon should be created by the pre new 52 evil lex at cadmus,and Linda/matrix should be created by the new 52 quasi heroic lex,both using kryptonian tech.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    1. Superman should routinely get new powers over time, especially mental powers
    2. Kryptonianso should have at least the 1938 powers on krypton
    3. Superman needs to have had a career as superboy
    4. They need to bring back the silver age Superman as the main superman.
    5. The New God's and the Legion of Superheroes are Superman characters
    6. Kryptonians are more intelligent than humans period
    7. Superman is as much a science hero as an action hero
    8. Kon-El is a waste of a character and should have been a casualty of the reign of the Superman
    9. Mr. Mxyzptlk is one of the greatest superman characters

I don't think superman should get new powers,more like the ones he has become even more powerful,look at Superboy prime for example.

I agree that kryptonians should have at least the golden age/YJ superboy levels of power.they were a advanced species that was all about making themselves better,it would.be silly.to think they were just plain puny humans while.rhat far advanced from us.

Clark should have been Superboy in the future with the Legion,and only there.

Silver age Superman was the most powerful easily,and was actually very smart,so he would be superdad or nuperman if they evolved to the next level.

The Legion and new gods are not Superman characters,but they are best when used with Superman.

Kryptonians being smarter than humans,any humans should be a obvious fact,and it is ridiculous when humans are shown smarter.i mean criminals today could be dumb as hell,but they are still doing stuff that smarter ppl have to REACT to,after the fact,thats how it should be thought as.

Superman is a perfect mixed bag of action and science story potential,but DC wants to limit him,so he doesn't come.off to SUPER,in a shared universe with inferior characters.

Kon-el is the GREATEST character that has ever been created after 1938.he is mans attempt to recreate god.he is the modern Superman.so nope not a waste at all,more.like the best thing DC has going for it,even if they don't know it,and absolutely have no idea how to utilize him.

I'm not into omniscient beings myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Cyborg Superman (Hank Henshaw), whom debuted in 1993, is the best Superman villain conceived since Brainiac way back in 1958.

(See? I have plenty of love for old-school Jurgens)
    I loved cyborg Superman 1st of all the Supermen during the reign,he was the ultimate evil running around with the ultimate heroes face.