Page 299 of 304 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 4557
  1. #4471
    Mighty Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Female superhero and all.She was still following a trend.She didn't end an era and start another.That's what a trendsetter is.So,nowhere near superman.Batman wasn't ever a trendsetter.heck!original in any regards. I would say.


    This i agree.Superman failed and has only put out mediocre stuff when it comes to larger demographics and audiences..WW has been far more successful.
    She still was a trendsetter in her own right. Not to mention that some of the radical stuff that were going on in her debut run. Stuff like that was not happening at superman's title. The point is. That even when WW had projects that generated money. She was never given the chance to expand her lore further. Even in recent times with a big hit movie that SM has not seen in over 4 decades. WW's treatment overall has not improved. And there hasn't been any effort in expanding her horizon taking advantage of her current new big success and presence in wider media demographic. Even now in her 80th anniversary SM gets a new cartoon and WW still hasn't one. Harly and even vixen have one. So this idea that SM is treated as bad as WW is just not true. It is far from the truth.

  2. #4472
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    7,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    She still was a trendsetter in her own right. Not to mention that some of the radical stuff that were going on in her debut run.
    The radical aspects are due to these guys being at their "purest"(whatever that means) as concept and from their creators with something to say.but,that was prevalent in all the other characters.Superman Mostly ended diversity in concepts in american comics and took to the superhero shtick.Later on took to shared universe shitck.Regardless,These guys are relics of the past that we still carry around because of profit.we reading characters and stories that were invented in the 30s,40s,50s and 60s..
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  3. #4473
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The radical aspects are due to these guys being at their "purest"(whatever that means) as concept and from their creators with something to say.but,that was prevalent in all the other characters.Superman Mostly ended diversity in concepts in american comics and took to the superhero shtick.Later on took to shared universe shitck.Regardless,These guys are relics of the past that we still carry around because of profit.we reading characters and stories that were invented in the 30s,40s,50s and 60s..
    Yeah, Batman... wasn't originally a superhero... he was a moderately exciting detective. It's called "Detective" comics for a reason...

  4. #4474
    Fantastic Member atomicskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Originally posted from the DC Forum.

    Superman elseworld stories are great. But they aren't really a lot of fun. Even with elseworld stories, writers AND fans want to pigeonhole him. We'll never get stuff like Gotham by Gaslight, Spider-Man Noir, Old Man Logan (and no it's not Kingdom Come). Notice how not even the sky is the limit with the stories you can tell with other superheroes. Give me a punk-inspired Superman universe, tokusatsu Superman, lovecraftian Superman, etc.

    Personally I don't think Superman is boring but everyone else goes out of their way to make him boring.

  5. #4475
    Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Originally posted from the DC Forum.

    Superman elseworld stories are great. But they aren't really a lot of fun. Even with elseworld stories, writers AND fans want to pigeonhole him. We'll never get stuff like Gotham by Gaslight, Spider-Man Noir, Old Man Logan (and no it's not Kingdom Come). Notice how not even the sky is the limit with the stories you can tell with other superheroes. Give me a punk-inspired Superman universe, tokusatsu Superman, lovecraftian Superman, etc.

    Personally I don't think Superman is boring but everyone else goes out of their way to make him boring.
    I agree with this. The most fun characters are the ones where you can drop them in any situation and they still work. Batman has a movie set in feudal Japan with mechas for crying out loud. I prefer the craziness and time travel and adventure of Silver Age Superman, and I wish modern Supes was allowed to step outside the box more.

  6. #4476
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    5,636

    Default

    The George Reeves Superman is surprisingly one of the most realistic versions ever made. If you can get past the dated SFX.
    Greenlight the Smallville animated series, WB!

  7. #4477
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    Originally posted from the DC Forum.

    Superman elseworld stories are great. But they aren't really a lot of fun. Even with elseworld stories, writers AND fans want to pigeonhole him. We'll never get stuff like Gotham by Gaslight, Spider-Man Noir, Old Man Logan (and no it's not Kingdom Come). Notice how not even the sky is the limit with the stories you can tell with other superheroes. Give me a punk-inspired Superman universe, tokusatsu Superman, lovecraftian Superman, etc.

    Personally I don't think Superman is boring but everyone else goes out of their way to make him boring.
    One of the biggest disappointments with regards to a lot of the one off Superman Elseworld stories is that they pretty much always just had Clark end up becoming a variation of the “classic” Superman. Even stuff like him landing in Gotham and becoming Batman, or Jor-El & Lara escaping alongside Clark to Earth and having siblings all have him meet the Kents and become classic Superman, and that is a mistake. I don’t want you to give me “classic Superman” in Elseworlds, I want you to play with his character. I think that’s why Red Son really broke out as his biggest Elseworld story (pre-Injustice anyway), because it doesn’t end with him becoming like he is in the main continuity.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  8. #4478
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Hmmm is this controversial?

    This being that Superman is best written as a team leader, but NOT the JL team leader. Supermen of America is a better place for him to be a team leader.

    Hmm maybe?

  9. #4479
    Fantastic Member atomicskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One of the biggest disappointments with regards to a lot of the one off Superman Elseworld stories is that they pretty much always just had Clark end up becoming a variation of the “classic” Superman. Even stuff like him landing in Gotham and becoming Batman, or Jor-El & Lara escaping alongside Clark to Earth and having siblings all have him meet the Kents and become classic Superman, and that is a mistake. I don’t want you to give me “classic Superman” in Elseworlds, I want you to play with his character. I think that’s why Red Son really broke out as his biggest Elseworld story (pre-Injustice anyway), because it doesn’t end with him becoming like he is in the main continuity.
    I really think writers are just so scared to explore anything when it comes to Superman, even in Elseworlds and I don't know why? Lack of ideas? Fan backlash?

  10. #4480
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hmmm is this controversial?

    This being that Superman is best written as a team leader, but NOT the JL team leader. Supermen of America is a better place for him to be a team leader.

    Hmm maybe?
    Personally I prefer Martian Manhunter as the team leader, so that’s fine with me. But I prefer the team name “Supermen Squad” over “Supermen of America” personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I really think writers are just so scared to explore anything when it comes to Superman, even in Elseworlds and I don't know why? Lack of ideas? Fan backlash?
    Maybe once upon a time that was the case. With Supes they had to constantly reassert that the mainline guy was the “correct” version, and thus they all ended up being like him no matter their circumstances? A far cry from where Batman ended up with the Vampire Saga. After Injustice that definitely doesn’t apply anymore though.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  11. #4481
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    511

    Default

    superman is easy to write but dc doesn't allow it. superman is 3 characters in 1.
    superman, the classic hero.
    kal el, science fiction.
    clark kent, stories from street level, I'm sure many would pay to see a good show of clark vs lex.

  12. #4482
    Mighty Member mystical41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I have no problem looking at Superman as a relic of privilege and systems of oppression.
    Quote for truth. It'0s sad because there have been really great stories with the character. But similar to Batman, the problem is when their privileged presence becomes an obstacle for other characters that are used as stepping stones to make those 2 shine. Instead of finding the place for everyone to have their moments without turning other characters into punching bags in the process.
    Last edited by mystical41; 08-02-2021 at 03:41 PM.

  13. #4483
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    superman is easy to write but dc doesn't allow it. superman is 3 characters in 1.
    superman, the classic hero.
    kal el, science fiction.
    clark kent, stories from street level, I'm sure many would pay to see a good show of clark vs lex.


    Have to agree, that Superman is 3 characters in 1 .
    DC never explores the Kal-El version, with him being the son of 2 scientists, he should be really intelligent. Instead they let Bruce Wayne ( who I do love ) outsmart Kal everytime.

  14. #4484
    Ultimate Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    12,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    Have to agree, that Superman is 3 characters in 1 .
    DC never explores the Kal-El version, with him being the son of 2 scientists, he should be really intelligent. Instead they let Bruce Wayne ( who I do love ) outsmart Kal everytime.
    Morrison has said they’ll be leaning into the Kryptonian side of Superman, the intelligence, in S&tA due to having to compensate for the loss in power.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  15. #4485
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Morrison has said theyíll be leaning into the Kryptonian side of Superman, the intelligence, in S&tA due to having to compensate for the loss in power.
    That's good that Morrison said that. But Clark doesn't look that old to be losing his Super abilities. Hopefully Morrison will explain why Clark is losing his powers. There are stories where Superman has lived centuries and gotten stronger. With his Kryptonian physiology under a yellow sun , he should outlive everyone he knows by decades if not centuries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •