Page 300 of 388 FirstFirst ... 200250290296297298299300301302303304310350 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    That's good that Morrison said that. But Clark doesn't look that old to be losing his Super abilities. Hopefully Morrison will explain why Clark is losing his powers. There are stories where Superman has lived centuries and gotten stronger. With his Kryptonian physiology under a yellow sun , he should outlive everyone he knows by decades if not centuries.
    Think it’s related to what PKJ is doing with Clark over in Action Comics. I suspect the root of Clark’s power issues will debut and be explained there.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Think it’s related to what PKJ is doing with Clark over in Action Comics. I suspect the root of Clark’s power issues will debut and be explained there.
    Actually that's a good point, I'm reading Action Comics. Mongul looks very powerful !

I'm sorry, I thought Superman and the Authority was in another universe. Doesn't Superman meet John F Kennedy there? I haven't read it.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'm sorry, I thought Superman and the Authority was in another universe. Doesn't Superman meet John F Kennedy there? I haven't read it.
    Yes. It was clearly meant to be in the 5G continuity (so Superman would have been around in the early 60's), but slightly rewritten so that Superman was only there because he was "lost in time". We have confirmation form PKJ and Morrison that the end of Superman and the Authority will directly lead into PKJ's Action Comics.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hi , I have read Superman & The Authority and the 1st issue is pretty good.
    But from what I have read, Morrison wrote it about 1-2 years ago.
    How it's going to tie in with Action Comics , I'm not sure.
    Not to spoil anything, but Superman does meet JFK. But in the present time, his hair has grey temples, but his face still looks young.
    So really I don't get it.
    I'm getting Action Comics too every month.
    As always , I'm not sure DC knows what direction to go with, when it comes to Superman.
    He should be the most powerful character in comics, and they're always not sure what to do.

Superman mentions that when he met JFK, he was "lost in time," and also explicitly mentions that he fought with King Arthur, so I'm not sure that he's really old - he might just be a time traveler like in the pre-Crisis days.

Not that I'm opposed to the idea that Superman could be that old. I'm just not sure whether he is.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I'm not sure what is meant about Clark Kent Superman being boring or milquetoast or "not doing enough". Does the latter mean Superman fails as a character/concept because he doesn't solve or "at least do something" about contemporary problems? I couldn't disagree more if that's the case, Superman doesn't have to radically change the world to be a good character.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I hear some people talk that SM has this problem of having to be too good. ''Too perfect'' and so he is ''trapped'' in a position wher they don't allow the character to experiment and explore other facets. If people want a eway to shake things up and open doors for a radical change in view. Maybe Superman should try becoming gay. I don't know why i always viwed him as a bi sexual type of being.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I hear some people talk that SM has this problem of having to be too good. ''Too perfect'' and so he is ''trapped'' in a position wher they don't allow the character to experiment and explore other facets. If people want a eway to shake things up and open doors for a radical change in view. Maybe Superman should try becoming gay. I don't know why i always viwed him as a bi sexual type of being.
    Superman was created to represent the cusp of the straight man, what you ask is the same as asking Wonder Woman to become a submissive who likes to be dominated by men.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Problem with superman ain't that he is too good or perfect.It's that the guy is boring and preachy.so isn't a draw.Even if he was gay and dates batman the guy would still be space jesus.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-04-2021 at 07:15 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Problem with superman ain't that he is too good or perfect.It's that the guy is boring and preachy.so isn't a draw.Even if he was gay and dates batman the guy would still be space jesus.
    Okay, but how is he boring and preachy, specifically?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Okay, but how is he boring and preachy, specifically?
    Sorry this became a bit of read..
    Well really, this idea that messianic savior figure(jesus himself) "boyscout"(rule book clinging) are the pinnacle of perfection.I find to be laughable.I think humanity can strive for better.No offense to anyone.And don't take my word for it.I don't believe in perfection as a concept in the first place.there goes "tomorrow" and utopian vision by the right and the left.Simply,put heaven and hell don't matter to me.I treat them equally.i am not running after hedonism or happiness.

For starters,stop acting like this..

in story towards grown ass people.otherwise,they would treat you like this.

His personality and powers are bland.His personality lacks fire,energy and sheer will power He is stick in the mud due to lack of humour.Their presentation ain't good either.He's action hero who's action sequences suck.The best we have is man of steel movie.That wasn't engaging.it was exhausting.Superman is flying brick.Especially when you get to see decent action from spiderman,mcu,batman..etc.
    He doesn't produce stories even with religious shtick/themes(i hate the shtick) that has the same sophistication as a full metal Alchemist, immortal hulk,..etc.let alone evangalion and other properties.Superman as a scifi concept is not about scifi.At best it's fantasy.That too unsophisticated fantasy.Fantasies can be engaging.But,it has to fantastical and the world needs to have its own rules specified with clarity.Superman isn't fantastical.I mean, description flying brick/savior would tell you.

The Stories are about the guy's parents sky ones and earth ones when it should be about effing superman.Not clark kent.Not kal el.If you treat the titular identity as sideshow.Then people don't get what they paid for.They get family drama and "i fell from the sky to spread my gospel".

A savior is condescending.Stop having superman's motivation being " saving people" that too from themselves and be "savior".The last time these guys where saving people from themselves it lead to the slavery,colonisation and imperialism ..Clark tries to play the savior,fails and then retreat like an idiot without accomplishing anything leading to power vacuum(kingdom come.Does that sound familiar in a larger context?cough!cough!). The reason it fails is because it's condescending a concept.Stop having both sets of his parents drill that into him.that is not "raising" children.Especially,when you consider that superman is an outlaw at the end of the day.He's a vigilante .Leading by example,also means restricting character from making unsafe choices.He also ain't a free agent.He has to represent things.That sometimes makes his so called good guy thing to be a routine like fake politician.

Motivations of characters lead to the repercussions and outcomes for the charcter.The journey as well.So setting straight superman's motive is crucial.A savior tries to save by example(so called good) or force(so called evil). If you don't consider Clark's example as worth much.You wouldn't care about the "hype" and find "cheerleading symbol of hope" to be obnoxious.Regardless,it leads to this "people are sheep" and "superman is shepherd" nonsense.I don't like to be told i am a sheep.while, people might find using force to be evil.I find the former as pernicious as later..Superman's morality is never questioned in the first place.Superman's morality is treated as special.when it is not.

Example for getting superman's motive straight.Max landis's superman's motive " i am just a guy with a lot of spare time with powers.So decided to help" (a story about clark).

At the end of the day it's about producing worthwhile even if you don't agree with what's being said.Superman fails in that for me.

now that's the end of you question.

Edit-
    I been asking,Why do i like siegel's superman?
    the character is more fleshed out .characterisation is easily digestable and clear .Siegel and shuster's superman's motive is "doing the right thing and fighting for truth and justice on behalf of the common folks".why? because he is a common folk himself in the depression era.Truth cause he was asked to lie by his parents.Justice because his entire life he saw the powerful becoming corrupt by it and using that power against the weak.He fights for ideals not rules.It also helps,that superman wouldn't get pinned down by political divisions,factions, ideologies,dogmas ,the so called "dos and do nots" of morality and rules(well there goes the boyscout).He is an outlaw through and through.He has dreams.Freedom is the highest value he holds as the metaphorical gladiator.He is an alien. but doesn't want good people to be afraid of him(he doesn't give rat's ass if some rapist or domestic abuser is).
    character is very written very creatively when it comes to action and movements.For example,i mean,running on electric cables and junk.i have never even thought that would be so cool.But,then i saw it and i was blown away.

they at the very least,tried to be scifi with superman Even though superman was about today and people of our society,expressing political opinions..etc.Before,he became pure fantasy and took flight.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-04-2021 at 09:58 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

This is an interesting thread on Superman.

The truth is that Superman is both the beginning of modern superheroes, but also the great draw.
    There are a lot of comics out there, you don't have to be a Superman fan. DC comics fans have been told
    for a long time how many more copies Marvel sells, how more relatable characters they are. Great, go read them,
    just let me enjoy my little DC universe. In much the same way, you don't like Superman, you find him boring, no
    one is forcing you to like him.

As a left winger I am more than happy to say that Superman is both a conservative and a radical. He does represent
    the best qualities that we want out of America: racially inclusive, forward thinking, sensitive to the needs of immigrants,
    even the importance of climate change (it blew up Krypton after all). But Clark has his conservative side in defending
    the status quo around the world, although that is not always the case. Anyone who sat through [I]Quest for Peace [I]
    will know what I am talking about.

Clark Kent is also far from a perfect person. My own view is that he needs to grow up a little. Representations of Clark over the
    years have run the gamut. I've been suffering through the CW series right now with Clark wanting to be his sons pals rather than
    their father. Every time I watch that show, I am like Jesus, Clark, stop treating your children like they have an equal vote with you.
    Since my politics are to the left of Bernie Sanders, that makes me feeling afterwards like I need a shower.

You take all of that it shows why Superman remains a viable symbol. I would also say to my conservative friends out there who
    are upset, that they should relax. Superman is constantly being reinvented, but it is impossible for him to not be connected to the
    best part of American ideals. Even if they try and make him a more global figure, the intrinsic Americanisms of Superman is still going to be
    there. Clark is from Kansas after all, which is as American as you can get. Finally, because Clark would like me to add this: Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Astonishing Member

Sometimes the fans and humans are out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sorry this became a bit of read..
    Well really, this idea that messianic savior figure(jesus himself) "boyscout"(rule book clinging) are the pinnacle of perfection.I find to be laughable.I think humanity can strive for better.No offense to anyone.And don't take my word for it.I don't believe in perfection as a concept in the first place.there goes "tomorrow" and utopian vision by the right and the left.Simply,put heaven and hell don't matter to me.I treat them equally.i am not running after hedonism or happiness.

For starters,stop acting like this..

in story towards grown ass people.otherwise,they would treat you like this.

His personality and powers are bland.His personality lacks fire,energy and sheer will power He is stick in the mud due to lack of humour.Their presentation ain't good either.He's action hero who's action sequences suck.The best we have is man of steel movie.That wasn't engaging.it was exhausting.Superman is flying brick.Especially when you get to see decent action from spiderman,mcu,batman..etc.
    He doesn't produce stories even with religious shtick/themes(i hate the shtick) that has the same sophistication as a full metal Alchemist, immortal hulk,..etc.let alone evangalion and other properties.Superman as a scifi concept is not about scifi.At best it's fantasy.That too unsophisticated fantasy.Fantasies can be engaging.But,it has to fantastical and the world needs to have its own rules specified with clarity.Superman isn't fantastical.I mean, description flying brick/savior would tell you.

The Stories are about the guy's parents sky ones and earth ones when it should be about effing superman.Not clark kent.Not kal el.If you treat the titular identity as sideshow.Then people don't get what they paid for.They get family drama and "i fell from the sky to spread my gospel".

A savior is condescending.Stop having superman's motivation being " saving people" that too from themselves and be "savior".The last time these guys where saving people from themselves it lead to the slavery,colonisation and imperialism ..Clark tries to play the savior,fails and then retreat like an idiot without accomplishing anything leading to power vacuum(kingdom come.Does that sound familiar in a larger context?cough!cough!). The reason it fails is because it's condescending a concept.Stop having both sets of his parents drill that into him.that is not "raising" children.Especially,when you consider that superman is an outlaw at the end of the day.He's a vigilante .Leading by example,also means restricting character from making unsafe choices.He also ain't a free agent.He has to represent things.That sometimes makes his so called good guy thing to be a routine like fake politician.

Motivations of characters lead to the repercussions and outcomes for the charcter.The journey as well.So setting straight superman's motive is crucial.A savior tries to save by example(so called good) or force(so called evil). If you don't consider Clark's example as worth much.You wouldn't care about the "hype" and find "cheerleading symbol of hope" to be obnoxious.Regardless,it leads to this "people are sheep" and "superman is shepherd" nonsense.I don't like to be told i am a sheep.while, people might find using force to be evil.I find the former as pernicious as later..Superman's morality is never questioned in the first place.Superman's morality is treated as special.when it is not.

Example for getting superman's motive straight.Max landis's superman's motive " i am just a guy with a lot of spare time with powers.So decided to help" (a story about clark).

At the end of the day it's about producing worthwhile even if you don't agree with what's being said.Superman fails in that for me.

now that's the end of you question.

Edit-
    I been asking,Why do i like siegel's superman?
    the character is more fleshed out .characterisation is easily digestable and clear .Siegel and shuster's superman's motive is "doing the right thing and fighting for truth and justice on behalf of the common folks".why? because he is a common folk himself in the depression era.Truth cause he was asked to lie by his parents.Justice because his entire life he saw the powerful becoming corrupt by it and using that power against the weak.He fights for ideals not rules.It also helps,that superman wouldn't get pinned down by political divisions,factions, ideologies,dogmas ,the so called "dos and do nots" of morality and rules(well there goes the boyscout).He is an outlaw through and through.He has dreams.Freedom is the highest value he holds as the metaphorical gladiator.He is an alien. but doesn't want good people to be afraid of him(he doesn't give rat's ass if some rapist or domestic abuser is).
    character is very written very creatively when it comes to action and movements.For example,i mean,running on electric cables and junk.i have never even thought that would be so cool.But,then i saw it and i was blown away.

they at the very least,tried to be scifi with superman Even though superman was about today and people of our society,expressing political opinions..etc.Before,he became pure fantasy and took flight.
    Your first two examples are from 1) an ad basically and 2) an out of context clip where that lame preachy Superman is actually Bizarro - it was a joke about the very thing you're criticizing.

People who shoehorn Superman into a messiahnic role have made an error, but there's nothing wrong with "boyscout". I don't think they strive for perfection, they strive for excellence. There's nothing transgressive or shocking about dark, gritty characters anymore, they're played out. Now, I agree that very few books reach the level of FMA, and that Superman and his corner need more energy and more action, but that's not a fault of the character.

How is Superman saving people condescending? He isn't saving someone from poverty or drug addiction, he's saving them from an alien invasion or an interdimensional demon. Now, Jon as Superman seems to be heading in a direction where he's gonna try to solve some of those former problems, and I struggle to see how they'll work it so he doesn't come off as condescending or as some savoir-figure.

You seem, to me, to be pointing out problems with how Superman is written today and not about problems with the character himself.

I appreciate your response, hopefully I didn't misunderstand any of your points.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.