Page 276 of 290 FirstFirst ... 176226266272273274275276277278279280286 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,140 of 4346
  1. #4126
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That's news to me because outside of the New 52, they haven't portrayed him that way since 1986.
    Superman is presented as the greatest and most powerful hero (they say he is), he has allies but no friends (the JL are co-workers, they rarely act as friends) his only connection with the earth is Lois, because Jon when he is not around excursion through the universe is in the future, the Daily Planet and all the characters are simple extra (they have not been important for a long time) supergirl and superboy are that distant family that you see only at Christmas, the kents die and revive every 2 or 3 numbers , Superman is totally separated from his own universe.

  2. #4127
    Extraordinary Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    5,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I knew they pooped on WW when my nieces and their friends asked "why did they take WWs powers away?"

    my controversial Superman opinion for today is Superman should not be eclipsed by anyone in speed.
    Wouldn't this more controversial to post in a Flash thread?

  3. #4128
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Superman is presented as the greatest and most powerful hero (they say he is), he has allies but no friends (the JL are co-workers, they rarely act as friends) his only connection with the earth is Lois, because Jon when he is not around excursion through the universe is in the future, the Daily Planet and all the characters are simple extra (they have not been important for a long time) supergirl and superboy are that distant family that you see only at Christmas, the kents die and revive every 2 or 3 numbers , Superman is totally separated from his own universe.
    Isn't Batman his BFF?

  4. #4129
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Isn't Batman his BFF?
    The guy who bullies him,beats him up and has tried to "neutralise" him.sure.There relationship is very interesting and toxic.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  5. #4130
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think an authoritarians fantasy probabaly wouldn't focus so much on inspiring others and helping those weaker than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    There's something laughable about casting the term "authoritarian" to the strongman that can rule the world who knocks bullies over then goes back to his 9-to-5 job working at a mid-level position under several degrees of authority (editor/publisher and owner at least) where he works for his money like anyone else. He literally knocks them over then returns to being one of the people. There are terms for that, but "authoritarian" is laughably incorrect.
    I think we all acknowledge that modern Superman has been completely declawed by the modern writers but in the early days generally Superman ran around doing what he felt like and had a very "what I say goes" attitude and if you didn't agree he'd just beat the crap out of you. IDK what you would call that other than authoritarian maybe it isn't the right word but his general attitude basically boiled down to him believing he was the only person with the clarity of mind to make the executive decisions for the world and he had the power to back it up. Also I don't think I ever recall golden age Superman think about money in any real context. Seemed pretty irrelevant to his existence. If you look at a lot of these evil Supermen, they're almost all varying degree's of megalomaniacs.

    We discuss Superman fixing the world a lot around these parts because its inherently tied to the characters roots in a way it isn't for a lot of other characters. But that's good fodder for villains.
    Last edited by The World; 05-14-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

  6. #4131
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I think we all acknowledge that modern Superman has been completely declawed by the modern writers but in the early days generally Superman ran around doing what he felt like and had a very "what I say goes" attitude and if you didn't agree he'd just beat the crap out of you. IDK what you would call that other than authoritarian maybe it isn't the right word but his general attitude basically boiled down to him believing he was the only person with the clarity of mind to make the executive decisions for the world and he had the power to back it up. Also I don't think I ever recall golden age Superman think about money in any real context. Seemed pretty irrelevant to his existence.
    Doing "what you feel like" does not equate authoritarian.when "doing what you feel like" is to dominate others that's when you become authoritarian.Authoritarians want to rule and dominate others.Clark never had any of such intentions.He hated chains on himself.why would he want to put others in them?He did what he felt was right.Clark was truly free,is the word i would use.Others are free to do otherwise.Clark didn't take over the police.He could have made himself the police if he wanted to be an authority figure.He wasn't interested in that.He just pissed them off.He just punched those who he felt were doing the wrong thing and ran from the good ones.clark's shadow would have been a joker-esque guy.

    Someone who wants to bring the entire place down.or the archer(bad guy version of robin hood).or a super bond like spy criminal who makes aliving by taking from others(lex)
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-14-2021 at 07:54 AM.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  7. #4132
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The guy who bullies him,beats him up and has tried to "neutralise" him.sure.There relationship is very interesting and toxic.
    Batman's friendship is second only to Lex's.

  8. #4133
    BANNED Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    my controversial Superman opinion for today is Superman should not be eclipsed by anyone in speed.
    My controversial Superman opinion: Extreme Superspeed is the worse thing to happen to Superman. Superman would be 1,000 times better character if they nerf his speed significantly

  9. #4134
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,944

    Default

    Lee's Nu52 costume was not only a good idea, it was a better idea that didn't go far enough.

    Leaving aside the visual debate about the value of the red undies, I really liked the notion that Superman's costume enhanced him. Silver-Bronze Age Superman wore an indestructible suit. That, tho, would only be the callback.

    As originally conceived, Kal-el came from a society that had perfected their bodies, minds, and technologies, including the metaphysical interconnections. To me, it makes sense that Kryptonian Armor should be designed to enhance a Kryptonian's abilities.

    Yes, Superman should have greater durability, stamina, strength, speed, agility, intelligence, and sensory acuity than us. I like the idea that the suit amplifies all of that.

    It makes for some interesting story ideas. It divides Superman into Morrison's jeans/t-shirt phase and his Kryptonian Armor phase. What can he do (and be threatened by) in each would make for different plots.

  10. #4135
    Spectacular Member The Frog Bros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The guy who bullies him,beats him up and has tried to "neutralise" him.sure.There relationship is very interesting and toxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Batman's friendship is second only to Lex's.
    Yeah, I think his best friends are Lois, then Jimmy. Batman is mostly that toxic coworker.
    "There is nothing quite so perfect as the exact way in which comics combine the word and image." --Alan Moore
    "Before it was a Bomb, the Bomb was an Idea. Superman, however, was a Faster, Stronger, Better Idea." --Grant Morrison

  11. #4136
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah, I think his best friends are Lois, then Jimmy. Batman is mostly that toxic coworker.
    lois isn't his best friend,niether is jimmy.Superman is a big liar.He doesn't really have much friends that actually knows him.He's a big fake whether it's clark kent superman or even kal el.He just has people around that's it.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  12. #4137
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    lois isn't his best friend,niether is jimmy.Superman is a big liar.He doesn't really have much friends that actually knows him.He's a big fake whether it's clark kent superman or even kal el.He just has people around that's it.


    :P

  13. #4138
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post


    :P
    That's jon saying it.I will take that with a huge grain of salt.Jon idolises clark and lois.He idolises superman as concept.He used to think vandalism,"Superheroics" and other things with damian was supposed to be "fun" and "adventure".But,then again bendis did end that whole thing and progressed the character(Clark lieing and all).
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-17-2021 at 10:20 PM.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

  14. #4139
    Spectacular Member The Frog Bros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Superman having friends... who would have thought that that would be a controversial opinion yet here we are
    "There is nothing quite so perfect as the exact way in which comics combine the word and image." --Alan Moore
    "Before it was a Bomb, the Bomb was an Idea. Superman, however, was a Faster, Stronger, Better Idea." --Grant Morrison

  15. #4140
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    5,395

    Default

    The TV shows do a better job with Superman than the comics do.
    WAKANDA FOREVER! Chadwick Boseman 1976-2020 BLM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •