Page 297 of 388 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307347 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 5810
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If they do abandon it, I highly doubt it will last.
    As long as there is good story.it's comics..things keep changing yet stay the same.. Metropolis is bland though.gotham is atleast well built.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Cir-El... her story wasn't as popular from what I have seen, and editorial may think she'd interfere with the oh-so-precious Jon Kent, given her entire story revolves around considering herself Clark's and Lois' daughter (even if she wasn't).
    Cir-El's initial popularity was probably tainted by the nature of the story she was introduced in. And the way that story ended? YIKES!!!!

It'd be easy to tweak her origin to be more... innocuous and easier for readers to like... given.... that... so much that....
    [spoiler]She was created by Brainiac as part of one of his plans, then used by the Futuresmiths for their plan... I forget which of the two it was that infected her with Yes, but Yes was a nano-plague designed to turn the Human race into techno-zombies..... the brainless unrelenting evil horde kind.... Cir-El eventually decided the best way to fix that... was to create a time paradox, to prevent the creation of Yes... but also erase herself from history.[/spoiler]

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Certain writers shouldn't get to write entire characters out of existence.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Certain writers shouldn't get to write entire characters out of existence.
    That was seemingly the plan behind introducing her in the first place though O-o' Well, the temporal paradox thing maybe not, but the Yes thing, definitely.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    That was seemingly the plan behind introducing her in the first place though O-o' Well, the temporal paradox thing maybe not, but the Yes thing, definitely.
    I was talking about Lucy Lane.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I was talking about Lucy Lane.
    Oh, which version of Lucy?

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Superman has always benefited of white privilege and male privilege in a pretty sexist industry. No matter how some fans say he is mistreated. For the most part he is still used as a top gun and a symbol of hope. And in the case of being compared to the other trinity member WW. Sexism has always played a card in favor of SM and BM. There is no real equality at all.

Spectacular Member

Tom Taylor’s ‘woke’ Superboy book will entrench me firmly in the wouldn’t buy it with the gun in my throat position.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Superman has always benefited of white privilege and male privilege in a pretty sexist industry. No matter how some fans say he is mistreated. For the most part he is still used as a top gun and a symbol of hope. And in the case of being compared to the other trinity member WW. Sexism has always played a card in favor of SM and BM. There is no real equality at all.
    True. However mistreated he may or may not be, DC and WB clearly like having a figure like Superman in their expanded universe and constantly emphasize how much of a huge deal he is (even if it may or may not be in service of other characters). He is far better treated than Wonder Woman has historically been.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Symbol of hope...blah!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    True. However mistreated he may or may not be, DC and WB clearly like having a figure like Superman in their expanded universe and constantly emphasize how much of a huge deal he is (even if it may or may not be in service of other characters). He is far better treated than Wonder Woman has historically been.
    Probably because he sold far better than she did for a long time. And, frankly, he was the the trendsetter for Superheroes in his era. That is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Probably because he sold far better than she did for a long time. And, frankly, he was the the trendsetter for Superheroes in his era. That is a big deal.
    It was a big deal.. superman has'nt been a trendsetter in any regards for decades.Death of superman had a chance..but they blew it.Superman hit rock bottom.I would say ww could have been given a chance.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-29-2021 at 07:39 PM.

Retired

Like I said on the Wonder Woman forum, it's a function of the market. Maybe something we don't want to admit--if we are white males who buy super-hero comics. Although I'm too poor to consider myself privileged. But we drove the market in the direction it went. The fact is the consumer base for super-hero comics is not as diverse as it ought to be. And because comics depend on slim margins for sales--they take less chances in trying to develop a broader consumer base. Other prose publishers put out books with a large female readership. T.V. shows reach a wider demographic. Children's programming is more inclusive. If you want to know the problem with super-hero comics, you might need to look in the mirror.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It was a big deal.. superman has'nt been a trendsetter in any regards for decades.Death of superman had a chance..but they blew it.Superman hit rock bottom.I would say ww could have been given a chance.
    ww has no chance because in 80 years, outside of comics, only 2 things have imported.
    1: lynda carter's ww.
    2: gal gadot's ww.
    Superman even at his worst is 10 times more recognized than any DC character (except Batman).

Astonishing Member

I think fans of Modern Superman saw that scene in All Star where Superman has the Kandorians rid the terminally ill kids of their sicknesses and started complaining about how Superman was interfering in human development and how it's not realistic and blah, blah, blah. I think being a fan of modern Superman means seeing Superman do incredible things and asking him to stop.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory