Page 183 of 388 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233283 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,745 of 5810
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Streaky should appear on the Supergirl show. Maybe even get powers.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Superman should wear his red trunks on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't think that's controversial. Getting Streaky overall, that is. The powers bit though, probably is, if only for budget constraints.

Plus, most cats prefer doing their own thing rather then what someone tells them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Actually Streaky was in an episode of Supergirl. In Kara's mind. This was the episode where Kara was in a coma after her fight with Reign. But Streaky was just a cat, no powers, and was a black cat.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Superman’s costume, honestly, doesn’t quite mesh well as a hero outfit and is quite garish. I get the feeling some people seem so ready accept his costume and ridicule other just as garish and colorful costumes because people are so used to seeing it and such, but what do I know then again? I’m just giving an opinion.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The curl (spit or otherwise) and shield on the cape are really vital to Clark's design. Take either away and something looks so off, even if you're not consciously noticing it at the time. It's not as obvious as the trunks, but damn if it doesn't bug me when someone forgets either. They're super important to his design.

And for god's sake, throw some saturation in there. I often wonder how Cavill would look if he got the curl up front and a more saturated suit. I don't love his Superman the way many do and I think those are the things that hold me back more than anything (my criticisms of those movies aside, none of them were his fault).

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The curl (spit or otherwise) and shield on the cape are really vital to Clark's design. Take either away and something looks so off, even if you're not consciously noticing it at the time. It's not as obvious as the trunks, but damn if it doesn't bug me when someone forgets either.
    I don’t get why Zack Snyder didn’t let Cavill have the curl when Cavill’s hair is naturally curly. It just looks terrible when he doesn’t have it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t get why Zack Snyder didn’t let Cavill have the curl when Cavill’s hair is naturally curly. It just looks terrible when he doesn’t have it.
    40b7c63c-59a2-11e9-bbcc-84176f6dd1e7_image_hires_134058.jpg

Damn it, that looks a ton better. Even with the 'stache.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    And for god's sake, throw some saturation in there. I often wonder how Cavill would look if he got the curl up front and a more saturated suit. I don't love his Superman the way many do and I think those are the things that hold me back more than anything (my criticisms of those movies aside, none of them were his fault).
    And as much as I’m not a fan of the costume in general, I can’t totally understand why others like it.

That said, I do wonder how many people chose a less colorfully bright costume:

Over this:

Extraordinary Member

In his past, Superman should have had many lovers before settling down in the present with Lois, besides Lana.

At least dozens.

Dozens seems like too many to me, but I do like the idea of a jokey-arc where Lois has to defeat Clark's League of Seven Exes in order to date him, Scott Pilgrim Style.

Quote Originally Posted by my general concept
    1. Lana Lang
    2. Brainiac Five
    3. Lori Lemaris
    4. Cat Grant
    5. Luma Lynnai
    6. Maxima
    7. Wonder Woman
    Yeah, I said Brainiac Five. Have you seen the Legion cartoon? So much chemistry between them. Anyway!

Here's a controversial opinion... I think Exile is kind of stupid. The whole arc is peppered with things I think are stupid, salvaged mostly by good-to-great artwork. Superman developing a schizophrenic break and isolating himself in deep space, is stupid. Though I think it's worth noting that Superman got hit by a mind-blast from Brainiac that I'm pretty sure is what actually caused his repressed sense of guilt to actually manifest in Gangbuster, but half the time I like what he does as Gangbuster more than what he does as Superman in the lead-up to Exile, and either way I digress. Superman's "triumphant" declaration that he doesn't kill also falls very flat to me - especially since I know that he'll kill Henshaw, Doomsday, another Zod, etc., in the future. The revelation that nobody ever left Krypton before Kal because until him, nobody could leave without dying instantly, is stupid. The decision to change WarWorld from the most powerful weapon in the galaxy into a series of gladiatorial games, is stupid, and also Mongul is less threatening and impressive post-Crisis, especially physically. And just, Superman in general seems kind of stiff and flat, especially morally. This is actually a complaint I have about a lot of the post-Crisis era though, up until Louise Simonson joins the crew. It's not unique to this story.

There's things I really like about Exile. I like the individual planets that Superman lands on and the concept of Superman traveling in space - but I don't think the reasoning for his being there is good, the image of the air pipeline isn't great, and from an in-universe perspective, I don't know why he didn't use that spaceship he picked up in L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 Annual # 1. I like the flashbacks to Krypton - visually at least. I think the Cleric is kind of neat. Mongul being there is good, even though I think he's kind of misused. The art is overall phenomenal. The "Hostile Takeover" backup about Luthor and LexCorp is awesome, and similarly, Exile's brief windows into worldbuilding Metropolis despite Superman's absence are all pretty well done. I just don't think it really salvages the arc overall. I don't really understand why it's so popular.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

For what a different perspective is worth:

- the context of killing in Exile is as a bloodsport, which is clearly what he'd refuse. Superman himself doesn't take a harder stance against killing than most people. Stern, who wrote a chunk of Exile, hasy him mention in a discussion right before Doomsday that he essentially believes the decision to kill is based on reasoning and the options on the table. The actual "no kill declaration" would be pre Crisis, where he absolutely will not kill and in the most notable (hypothetical) example removes his own powers permanently for what he does in Whatever Happened.

- not being able to leave Krypton is another contrast established. Pre Crisis Jor El is called the greatest scientist on the planet, but then he's treated like a sidewalk prophet without research when push came to shove. They could have had a failsafe, but for reasons like Wegthor's tragedy just didn't. In the update Krypton's society is formed by hundreds of years of xenophobic strife and the clone wars, and the result is that they can't just leave even if they believe him. They've been genetically modified to be landlocked and Jor El's only chance is figuring out how to bypass the lock for his son. So it's not that they die when they leave Krypton just because.

- yeah, post crisis Mongul sucks and only looks threatening because Superman isn't at full power. I can only guess that between Darkseid becoming a Superman villain and whoever else they came up with he was found redundant.

- that L.e.g.i.o.n. annual comes over a year later, so that ship Dox gave him wouldn't have been available.

- Exile is my favorite Superman epic and I think it is essential as a read through to understand that version of the character, but even then I don't think a ten issue arc is better than ten relatively self contained stories that aim for greater variety and amusement. I don't think Superman should be so defined by "important" or acclaimed stories, so I can see Exile also in a way being overrated.

- I know I've said this before, sorry, but "kinda stiff" should be accepted for the character IMO. He's the sensational find of 1938, too much twisting and turning for an update takes him away from what he's been.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Superman doesn’t have many female villains. Silver Banshee and Live Wire are the only ones that come to mind. But they’re not even in Superman’s top 15 villains.

No one ever uses La Encantadora (femme fatale), Cythona (goddess), Red-Kryptonite Woman (woman scorn), Maxima (good girl now), Eve, Anguish, Lady Blaze, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Superman doesn’t have many female villains. Silver Banshee and Live Wire are the only ones that come to mind. But they’re not even in Superman’s top 15 villains.

No one ever uses La Encantadora (femme fatale), Cythona (goddess), Red-Kryptonite Woman (woman scorn), Maxima (good girl now), Eve, Anguish, Lady Blaze, etc.
    Superman's female villains have the same problem as a lot of female villains in comics of the Big 2. They're either women scorned, femme fatales, misandrists or lackeys to a male villain. Male villains are a lot more diverse so naturally they're going to be used more.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

He’s got a new villain with Red Cloud who I think shows potential as someone who is at the Daily Planet for the same reasons as Clark but on the other side morally. Otherwise yeah, his female rogues are lacking. But does Batman even have any female rogues himself these days? Harley and Ivy get treated as quasi-heroes and Talia goes back and forth herself.