Page 271 of 388 FirstFirst ... 171221261267268269270271272273274275281321371 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,065 of 5810

I think godisawesome is right....about the DC of decades past. When Superman was their central figure, yeah I feel like you could kinda gauge DC's overall performance by how well Clark was doing. Just in a very rough ballpark kinda way, of course. But Clark's not the center of DC anymore, and his books don't seem to really affect anything outside his editorial group.

I don't even think we can really use Batman to judge either, because DC funnels 99% of its best talent through that franchise to the point it becomes a statistical outlier. The rest of the company has sometimes been a dumpster fire, but the Bat books were still (at a minimum) decent.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-19-2021 at 07:22 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Controversial Superman opinion of the day for me is that being married does not make Superman boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Controversial Superman opinion of the day for me is that being married does not make Superman boring.
    I would say more exciting since it adds a variety of story angle you don't have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I would say more exciting since it adds a variety of story angle you don't have otherwise.
    Yes I'd agree too. That's more like a 50/50 opinion than truly unpopular.

I'd also say that, regardless of what people think about the JL movie, either version, it's exactly where Superman should be compared to the other heroes in terms of power.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes I'd agree too. That's more like a 50/50 opinion than truly unpopular.
    I think Superman being married closes doors and opens doors. I don't think either is intrinsically worse than the other, but I do wish there was more variety in different timelines and universes with regard to both this issue, and the issue of parenthood.

I will say though, on a slightly different note, I really don't like the "main" Superman being a dad though, because in addition to putting more emphasis on fatherhood than sf and detective adventures, making him a dad exerts a narrative gravity on all other versions of the character in a way that I largely dislike, a pressure for others to also be a dad. I like it to be something Superman can be, but applying it to the "main" Superman makes it feel like it's something he always would be, inevitably, which I really disagree with.

I'd also say that, regardless of what people think about the JL movie, either version, it's exactly where Superman should be compared to the other heroes in terms of power.
    Now here I definitely agree 100%. A Superman who can one-shot the League and knock down a foe who's been giving everyone else trouble the whole time, is awesome.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    It certainly doesn't make him boring. I've just always argued it makes the relationship boring. Does it have to be? Surely no. I can't imagine it has to be written as boring as I believe it largely has been for the past two decades. Is real life marriage automatically boring or some bad thing? No, but what entertains me in a comic book doesn't necessarily reflect what I think of things in real life.

Neither do I think its unpopular. Me no longer preferring it doesn't automatically make something unpopular. After it occurred it lasted for for over 20 years, took a break due to a continuity shift, then came back when the continuity shifted back. I still don't like it any more than I did before, but something outright unsustainable doesn't last that long. Its sustainable, its just not absolutely 100% necessary. As its often glossed over that Superman lasted as a single individual for half a century in its own right. So that's just as doable.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-22-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd say the marriage is boring a big chunk of the time, but it's also tied mostly to the post-Crisis era and I fine post-COIE Clark kind of a bore in general, so it's not surprising his marriage bores me and some others.

Which is shame. Clark and Lois are both great characters who are great together, it's just the writing for them doesn't work for me. It's not on Lois at all, and I have no interest in seeing him married to anyone else but her.

I think we could have gotten something interesting with a New 52 style Superman and Lois getting married and having a baby and we got to see the process of new parenthood for them. But Damian needed a playmate ASAP, so here we are.

Heck, I still wish Spider-Man was married but I digress.

I think what they did with John was.....interesting to say the least. I fear that DC will shelve John at some point whereas if they left him as a child he would have hung around a little more. Remember when DC was obsessed with killing off Nightwing. I fear someone will get it in their head to get rid of John in some random storyline. He's stronger than Conner and doesn't inhabit the same space the others in the Superman family do.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Now here I definitely agree 100%. A Superman who can one-shot the League and knock down a foe who's been giving everyone else trouble the whole time, is awesome.
    Yeah around as awesome as Batman taking Superman out by spitting him in the face, or Harley Quinn outrunning him, or Wonder Woman making a weapon out of his spine. It's so damn awesome if a character makes others look bad, they should also rename the movie into Superiorman and his useless bitches, to make it even better......
    Last edited by Rightoya; 04-22-2021 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Yeah around as awesome as Batman taking Superman out by spitting him in the face, or Harley Quinn outrunning him, or Wonder Woman making a weapon out of his spine. It's so damn awesome if a character makes others look bad, they should also rename the movie into Superiorman and his useless bitches, to make it even better......
    Yeah, this isn’t restricted to the Superman fandom but comes off sometimes people aren’t so much upset at Batman punking out Superman, or rest the League at other times. They just want Superman to be doing that.

Superman isnt petty, so he wouldn't "make others look bad", thsts not part of his character.

And superman is "atleast" a Lil more powerful than his teammates, and that's OK, he can't do it all, and doesn't get shown that way.every character has things that superman can't do, he isn't a one man team.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Superman isnt petty, so he wouldn't "make others look bad", thsts not part of his character.
    Too bad just that Superman isn't writing himself, and some of his writers are unbelievable petty.

And superman is "atleast" a Lil more powerful than his teammates, and that's OK, he can't do it all, and doesn't get shown that way.every character has things that superman can't do, he isn't a one man team.
    Nothing about the silly portrayal in the Justice League movie was ok, and he shouldn't be more powerful at all, he can be physically the strongest but that isn't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post

Tell that to the guys who made the Justice League movie (either version), which goes out of its way to demonstrate in no uncertain terms the other heroes are superfluous piss-ants compared to Superman.

Wonder Woman describes Steppenwolf as the most powerful being she's ever faced.
    Superman: "Not impressed."

Says it all. Thanks, Zack.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Too bad just that Superman isn't writing himself, and some of his writers are unbelievable petty.

Nothing about the silly portrayal in the Justice League movie was ok, and he shouldn't be more powerful at all, he can be physically the strongest but that isn't the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Tell that to the guys who made the Justice League movie (either version), which goes out of its way to demonstrate in no uncertain terms the other heroes are superfluous piss-ants compared to Superman.

You both seem to have issues with the JL movie and I understand, it shows a incredibly powerful superman. I wasn't even thinking of that movie when I wrote that last post, I was thinking of the actual comics, thsts way more important to me than any movie will be
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Yes, about time Superman felt like Superman again. It's been long enough.

Still, Cyborg was the emotional heart of the movie in Snyder's version and could do things Superman can't do at all. The Flash, in Snyder's version, did things Superman can't do.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Batman could have been focused on things Superman cannot do.

Then again, Superman cannot be everywhere. To quote Lex Luthor from another story, "I don't believe it. He [Batman] actually dragged this out long enough for Superman to get here and save him".

Mind you, I get the frustration but it's just that it's been ages since Superman has been portrayed as Superman in terms of powers and sheer confidence and intelligence or so it feels. It was great to finally see him portrayed that way again. Before long, once the initial thrill wore off, I'd probably be going, "Um, it's okay if the Flash is faster as long as it's not way faster and it's okay if WW is close in speed, strength and durability, maybe even a little faster and way more skilled. Aquaman? Except for under the sea, there's just no narrative where Aquaman is on Superman's level but he has his niche under the sea. And Cyborg can do all sorts of things Superman cannot do at all.

In the Snyder cut, it seems mostly WW that got short-changed and that could have been corrected by just making her comparable in speed.
    Power with Girl is better.