Page 368 of 388 FirstFirst ... 268318358364365366367368369370371372378 ... LastLast
Results 5,506 to 5,520 of 5810
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    No.simple answer.Franchises gets pigeonholed into things..And any instances don't make fights he has overall good.I reckon his best fight is in superman and captain marvel vs black adam

Granted it lacks the speed..
    Maybe, I’m taking you to literally but most of that fight is just him trying to hit him harder, multiple times sure, but the crux of the fight is hitting the guy hard. And none of his fights that really pushed him were something he could’ve ended whenever he wanted to by punching as hard as he could. It’s like in anime where the character is putting all there will power into there final attack to end the fight all the accumulated damage factors in.

The Choreography is really good though. Would Still consider one of the doomsday fight the best though. But that fight is definitely top 3 or 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kman2 View Post
    Don’t pretty much all fights that don’t involve hax just end with hit them harder? I guess the problem is they seem to be running at full steam until the final blow. seeing Superman struggle and grow tired while trying everything he could think of was enough to keep the fights interesting to me
    The DCAU had at least two Superman fights that didn't end by hitting harder. When Superman fought Doomsday the first time in the JL cartoon, punching didn't work so he went for the heat vision. Even more creative, when Darkseid got the upper hand in their last fight in STAS, Superman cleverly used his hands to cover Darkseid's eyes, pretty much making Darkseid's head explode.

I like a good Superman throw down that comes down to looking like a space street fight, but his additional powers just feel better when he uses them to turn the tide of a battle instead of just being another tactic that ultimately fails.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    The DCAU had at least two Superman fights that didn't end by hitting harder. When Superman fought Doomsday the first time in the JL cartoon, punching didn't work so he went for the heat vision. Even more creative, when Darkseid got the upper hand in their last fight in STAS, Superman cleverly used his hands to cover Darkseid's eyes, pretty much making Darkseid's head explode.

I like a good Superman throw down that comes down to looking like a space street fight, but his additional powers just feel better when he uses them to turn the tide of a battle instead of just being another tactic that ultimately fails.
    Oh, I was including the powers when I was talking about hitting them harder. But yeah I agree using his extra powers to help in the fight does make Superman fights better and should be used to help end fights more often and suing his enemies attacks against them. Him just covering darkseids eyes to win doesn’t make much sense when he was in so much pain from two hits right before.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Maybe, I’m taking you to literally but most of that fight is just him trying to hit him harder, multiple times sure, but the crux of the fight is hitting the guy hard. And none of his fights that really pushed him were something he could’ve ended whenever he wanted to by punching as hard as he could. It’s like in anime where the character is putting all there will power into there final attack to end the fight all the accumulated damage factors in.

The Choreography is really good though. Would Still consider one of the doomsday fight the best though. But that fight is definitely top 3 or 5
    The resolution of the conflict/story is part of the fight.. fight is over with captain marvel choosing to let black adam go.Not before.

Animes do have their beam struggles,father-son kamehameha's but that's not an end.A fight should have emotional content.There is also strategy and other things.like say flicking a cigar to gain momentary advantage..it needs to be a momentary or else if there is no back and forth.The fight would be the kinda **** batman vs superman is..which is "i threw a rock at him...it was a green one".the "Stunts" being performed being innovative would be cherry on top.For instance,hulk using thunderclaps to fly..

https://youtu.be/CZJBkQQTiCoHave you watched this..an alien(villain) with xray vision,flight,strength,super speed..etc fight..His style is primarily wing chun and tai chi.There is no reason superman a guy who can swing even if a novice can't have good fights..as said,one punch man uses his butt to tackle a guy..moments where teleportation ability is used to swap and things like that strategyy that doesn't spoonfeed.

Here is the conclusion to another fight where an antagonist chooses to fall down and let the protagonist walk over him
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-03-2023 at 01:04 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The resolution of the conflict/story is part of the fight.. fight is over with captain marvel choosing to let black adam go.Not before.

Animes do have their beam struggles,father-son kamehameha's but that's not an end.A fight should have emotional content.There is also strategy and other things.like say flicking a cigar to gain momentary advantage..it needs to be a momentary or else if there is no back and forth.The fight would be the kinda **** batman vs superman is..which is "i threw a rock at him...it was a green one".the "Stunts" being performed being innovative would be cherry on top.For instance,hulk using thunderclaps to fly..

https://youtu.be/CZJBkQQTiCoHave you watched this..an alien(villain) with xray vision,flight,strength,super speed..etc fight..His style is primarily wing chun and tai chi.There is no reason superman a guy who can swing even if a novice can't have good fights..as said,one punch man uses his butt to tackle a guy..moments where teleportation ability is used to swap and things like that strategyy that doesn't spoonfeed.

Here is the conclusion to another fight where an antagonist chooses to fall down and let the protagonist walk over him
    Fight was over when black Adam couldn’t fight back, he was done, defeated. But yes characterization should be important in fights. I think Superman fights show off his character and the villains characters when they are important climaxes, it just depends on who he’s fighting just like in all other stories.
    Yeah, every important Superman fight involves a back and forth though, eh uses heat vison into peoples eyes, he hits them with weapons l, he gets his punches caught, he gets civilians used against him, he tries to move location for a better advantage. Those are all involved in Superman fights

he blocks, he counters he uses all the combat abilities in his arsenal, the stakes are high, his desperation is clear, and it shows off his unbreakable will power. Those are the things that make a fight great to me. And if he’s fights ideologicall battle too, Superman Vs the elite, is a great example.
    Perfect example of a Superman fight where there’s a back and forth and using strategy.
    https://youtu.be/0bDjTwyxBOk
    Last edited by Kman2; 03-03-2023 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

I’m going through a rewatch of the DCAU starting with BTAS, and man while this may have been a step up from what came before, it still really shows it’s age in the fight scenes. Everyone is so… stiff.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

But I’m suprised some people think Supermans fighting style is boring. I thought most animated features had him use his powers in a way that showed you he was experienced but not a martial artist. Like in Superman: doomsday where he was using his ice breath to slow him down. Or in Superman/Batman: apocalypse’s where he creates that tornado heat vision combo. Even man of steel had cool moments where he was punching zod through the city, That gets replicated a bunch of times.
    I enjoy a good chunk of every animated feature but my least favorite thing is probably how they make him fight . Just punch harder with less than high concern for environmental damage. For all of Superman's many fights that's basically the opposite of his approach within comics.

Of course my other favorite is Popeye and cartoons have also immortalized his approach in entirely the wrong way too
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It's a bit weird. I suspect this is why movies have people whose entire job is fight choreography. Being a good story writer... just isn't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m going through a rewatch of the DCAU starting with BTAS, and man while this may have been a step up from what came before, it still really shows it’s age in the fight scenes. Everyone is so… stiff.
    Oh yeah, even STAS action seems primitive compared to JL and they aren't that far apart chronologically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Eternals have some cool fights, but Ikaris was overly reliant on his optic blasts. I'm not saying Superman should have John Wick's fighting style, but the choreography should be exciting and make it clear that Superman knows how to fight and isn't just a guy with super powers.

If Clark didn't knew how to fight he would die as soon as he met someone like Zod or Mongul.

I dislike the emphasis in making Superman just a farmboy who happens to have superpowers, is a make so easy to take the leap and make him useless without his powers.
    But his Invulnerability is so high! I don't snyone is having an easy time damaging him without a cheat. Conventional force even of Mongul's magnitude isn't an instakill vs Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Superman is not a good fighter at all. 99% of the time, he is shown as a bassic and generic brawler.

Superman is not a moral inspiration. To me, he feels like typical USA propaganda about the amercian way. They always love to paint themselves as the good ones.

Wonder Woman isn't as strong as Superman only because of sexism that has always been in favor of Superman. And the idea that the best man will aleways be better and superior than the best woman.
    40_08.jpg

The U.S. military have been villains in the past 2 Superman origin stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What did the board think of Chuck Austen's take on Superman??
    Horrible. I hate him as a writer in general and I especially hate writers who disrespect Lois Lane. That whole Lana Lang home wrecker thing was disgusting.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What did the board think of Chuck Austen's take on Superman??
    He had a very solid Action run and his Metropolis was good, too. Unfortunately, he's Chuck Austen so he just attracts negativity. It's not even the fact that Lana was a homewrecker, because she explicitly stated that she was not only disinterested in coming between them but also had her own him wrecked. It was that Chuck Austen was the one providing melodrama.

Of course everyone has their opinions but I have to say for myself that this "bad idea" beats having Jor El turned evil by an eye infection. Or having Clark lose his powers so he can go ride a motorcycle and fight in underground MMA, with a heavy handed protestor backdrop. Or having Jon stuck in a volcano and forcefully aged by a bad guy. Or having Superman voluntarily give up a third of his power because he feels unworthy. Or having him go like ten years without telling Lois he'd been using the fortress as a secret prison.

You can dislike any or all of those things, and that doesn't make Austen a better writer, but I think it goes to say that the backlash he faces for doing anything at all is kinda disproportionate.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Superman is not a good fighter at all. 99% of the time, he is shown as a bassic and generic brawler.

Superman is not a moral inspiration. To me, he feels like typical USA propaganda about the amercian way. They always love to paint themselves as the good ones.

Wonder Woman isn't as strong as Superman only because of sexism that has always been in favor of Superman. And the idea that the best man will aleways be better and superior than the best woman.
    All you really have to do to be a good fighter is be smart, and Superman is that. I mean he figured out how to put up a decent fight against Ali and has only learned more applications of his abilities in the continuities since.

Superman, like the US or any country, isn't perfect. I think that's important for anyone who sees him as a posterboy to realize, and judging by the cool stories made from people who live abroad I think a lot of folks get it

Superman didn't kill her in a Black Label comic, and Wonder Woman doesn't break the time barrier in hers. Who is to blame?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Eternals have some cool fights, but Ikaris was overly reliant on his optic blasts. I'm not saying Superman should have John Wick's fighting style, but the choreography should be exciting and make it clear that Superman knows how to fight and isn't just a guy with super powers.

If Clark didn't knew how to fight he would die as soon as he met someone like Zod or Mongul.

I dislike the emphasis in making Superman just a farmboy who happens to have superpowers, is a make so easy to take the leap and make him useless without his powers.
    Lazy writing has always been around and will always be, but at least we do see him written as an all around talented guy more often than not. He's Superman.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Horrible. I hate him as a writer in general and I especially hate writers who disrespect Lois Lane. That whole Lana Lang home wrecker thing was disgusting.
    It was not great. I wish it wasn't my introduction to Reis.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Well at least DC hasn’t turned Superman into a cuck like Marvel did you Spider-Man