Page 196 of 388 FirstFirst ... 96146186192193194195196197198199200206246296 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 5810

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He could but doesn't. I don't think it really crosses his mind to do it for himself because he probably thinks it's a cheat. Truthfully, anything he needs would be at the Fortress. Creating diamonds is essentially just him chasing the dollar which is pretty antithetical to his character.

I can see him doing it for a very poor family hit by some natural disaster or someone drowning in hospital bills.
    But I highly doubt that Clark and Lois would acept to leave on a place Batman is paying. Superman would most likely tell him to help someone else.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    But I highly doubt that Clark and Lois would acept to leave on a place Batman is paying. Superman would most likely tell him to help someone else.
    Does Batman really pay for their apartment? That's such lazy writing. They shouldn't have a penthouse in Manhattan.

How about developing the characters and their setting? Showing the seedier side of Metropolis where maybe gentrification hasn't reared its head yet.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-16-2020 at 07:59 PM.

He could but doesn't. I don't think it really crosses his mind to do it for himself because he probably thinks it's a cheat. Truthfully, anything he needs would be at the Fortress. Creating diamonds is essentially just him chasing the dollar which is pretty antithetical to his character.

I can see him doing it for a very poor family hit by some natural disaster or someone drowning in hospital bills.
    More like he does it only "if he needs money" which isn't often. by real-world standards he IS rich, especially if you put a dollar value on the Fortress of Solitude.

He bought the building at one point, I don’t think he pays their mortgage or anything. It was around the time he bought the Daily Planet from Luthor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Yes, isn't Clark capable of turning coal into diamonds? He should be rich.
    Superman could totally make as many diamonds as he wants, but funneling wealth into Clark Kent's life would wreck his secret identity, when that's an issue.
    Just on the subject of Lois and Clark and their housing, I long wondered how Margot Kidder's Lois afforded that amazing penthouse apartment.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Making diamond from coal is not that easy, realistically.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think you can keep the Daily Planet as long as you treat it printing on paper as an anomaly; something of a local flavor. They're the world's biggest news publication with such a storied history, the locals in Metropolis support it because it's just a part of their culture; think about local chains that are so huge that citizens of that city can't imagine life without it. We all have them. When you travel, they disappear and you feel like a piece of your jigsaw puzzle of America is missing.

Moreover, because they're the biggest and last print newspaper, they are carried to other places for older people and those who prefer print. They're the exception to the rule, something akin to how bookstores disappeared but Barnes and Noble lingers. They are mostly an online publication now, but they keep the presses rolling for prestige and tradition which their community supports. Having a private owner like spoilers:
    Jimmy Olsen
    end of spoilers certainly helps in that respect.

As for Clark's job, I don't think you need to lose it. Journalism does not pay, especially if you don't take sponsorships or bribes. He and Lois shouldn't really have a high-rise apartment, either. I know Bruce pays for it, but once Lois becomes a published author as well as the world's most trusted journalist, they can move to a nicer place but I don't like them having a penthouse suite or something. Hell, I like the idea of them having a home in a really cheap part of the country that Clark just supercommutes them to/from, but Superman should never be affluent (not that anything stops him, really). It's just not at all necessary for him and decoupling any of DC's IP from any dependence on Batman is a boon. They all need to stand on their own and Batman being their boss/landlord really doesn't help anyone.
    I dig where you're coming from on this, and I dont think it's a bad idea for a story. It's just a temporary solution for the character. He will eventually need to change with the times.

I agree 100% that Lois and Clark should not be affluent, living in some bougie SOHO apartment for 10k/mo (utilities not incl). They should live amongst the people.

(Unrelated but whatever, we're rolling!) One thing I dug a lot in s1 of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, before the show got toned down, was how scammy Lois and Clark came off. Not criminally scammy, they don't still or embezzle or anything akin- but man oh man are those 2 grinning scam artists. I would love to see a bit of that come back into play.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-17-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Superman could totally make as many diamonds as he wants, but funneling wealth into Clark Kent's life would wreck his secret identity, when that's an issue.
    Just on the subject of Lois and Clark and their housing, I long wondered how Margot Kidder's Lois afforded that amazing penthouse apartment.
    Lois wasn't "a" reporter she was doing her best to be THE most popular and highly paid reporter in Metropolis. So she was a significant enough public figure to be almost a celebrity.

It's why she sometimes comes across as arrogant. She has that sort of reputation that she expects people to be awed by her presence.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 07-17-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Lois wasn't "a" reporter she was doing her best to be THE most popular and highly paid reporter in Metropolis. So she was a significant enough public figure to be almost a celebrity.

It's why she sometimes comes across as arrogant. She has that sort of reputation that she expects people to be awed by her presence.
    I can accept that. But you have to admit, that apartment was pretty fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I can accept that. But you have to admit, that apartment was pretty fabulous!
    Yeah, I have to admit it was a bit much.

I don't like Jon or Kon that much. Yes there are great stories with them, but their youth forces Clark into an authority position that automatically reinforces peoples' belief that Superman is an out of touch establishment figure. The relationship between kids and grown ups are always at least a little adversarial and since stories where Superman acts as an authority figure to Superboy nearly always have Superboy as more of a viewpoint character, it always puts Clark in the perceived wrong - whether he's actually wrong or not.

Supergirl gets that a little too, but she's more likely to be treated as an independent figure and closer to a peer - though obviously that's not universal. But I feel like Kon and Jon really get the short end of the stick, which is why I'm declaring my controversial opinion of the day:

#KalIsTheOnlyGoodSuperboy

(in relation to Superman. I love quite a few Kon stories from the Cadmus days!)
    Last edited by Adekis; 07-18-2020 at 04:18 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Yes there are great stories with them, but their youth forces Clark into an authority position that automatically reinforces peoples' belief that Superman is an out of touch establishment figure
    I don't think the existence of jon,or kon is the reason he is seen out of touch.Batman is not seen as out of touch person.

Fantastic Member

I disagree that superman is out of touch!! Sm is a man with a code, he has a value system!! He hasn't sold out and jumped in the gutter like so many have!! I find him refreshing!!

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=Flash Gordon;5054063]I dig where you're coming from on this, and I dont think it's a bad idea for a story. It's just a temporary solution for the character. He will eventually need to change with the times. I don't know what that means, change with the times?? What's so great about the times? A time where using drugs is romanticized and criminals are seen as heroes!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 07-18-2020 at 07:44 AM.

I like Jon and Conner. Why can't a parent also be a relatable person. I like to see a diversity of characters. Teenagers, single twentysomethings, married with kids thirtysomethings...a variety of characters allows for more story potential.