Page 240 of 388 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250290340 ... LastLast
Results 3,586 to 3,600 of 5810

I miss the days when Superman actually used the lab facilities in his fortress. Plus the cliche of naive (stupid) farm boy, is not only outdated it was never really an actual thing.
    Last edited by llozymandias; 11-27-2020 at 03:11 AM.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If he's gonna have comic stories anyway, why not just leave him at his pre-Crisis level?

Either way, a cosmic adventure for him is not going to play out exactly the same way as it would for any of the characters you mentioned. That's why these are all different characters.

Pre-coie stories where Superman was exploring the universe were mostly fun. The power level he had at the time made those adventures possible. Because he was able to explore a galaxy that was billions of light years away & return to earth in a timely manner.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    I miss the days when Superman actually used the lab facilities in his fortress. Plus the cliche of naive (stupid) farm boy, is not only outdated it was never really an actual thibg.
    Superman is rarely portrayed as “stupid” even in crossovers with “genius” characters.

Omnidisciplinary scientists are annoying to me, so it doesn’t bother me as much.

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    I miss the days when Superman actually used the lab facilities in his fortress. Plus the cliche of naive (stupid) farm boy, is not only outdated it was never really an actual thing.
    I don't care about the science lab, but I do dislike the "naive farmboy" thing a lot. It really doesn't seem like it was ever a thing until at least the movie, where it was part of his disguise. Originally, of course, it had nothing to do with his day to day life, and was just a common occupation among the parents of people that age. Then in Superboy, they'd moved to town when he was young. But now it's become this sort of "thing" often used to explain his faith in people (though there is no logical reason rural people would have more faith in others) or superior values (again not more prominent among rural people), or as a contrast to Lois (who also had a rural background at one time).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If the likes of Gamora, Star-Lord, Drax, the Fantastic Four, Rocket Raccoon, Adam Strange, Vril Dox and Mr Miracle could have cosmic stories then it is inaccurate to claim post-crisis Superman was too weak for cosmic stories.
    Plus, did he not actually have cosmic stories? I could have sworn that I read of Superman having some sort of half naked exiled in space story, one to which Future State calls back. Then there was some stories where he actually increases the output of Green Lantern Corpsmen power output because of his will enabling victory. And I also thought there was one where he moved the earth and several other celestial bodies overcoming some alien machinery to do so

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I don't care about the science lab, but I do dislike the "naive farmboy" thing a lot. It really doesn't seem like it was ever a thing until at least the movie, where it was part of his disguise. Originally, of course, it had nothing to do with his day to day life, and was just a common occupation among the parents of people that age. Then in Superboy, they'd moved to town when he was young. But now it's become this sort of "thing" often used to explain his faith in people (though there is no logical reason rural people would have more faith in others) or superior values (again not more prominent among rural people), or as a contrast to Lois (who also had a rural background at one time).
    I’m with you in this.

Farmboy should not equal “naive”, and in modern times, mostly just suggests he’d be use to early rising, having some chores... and likely be aware of some of the flaws of the country in a manner similar to Lois knowing about the flaws of the city.

I disliked the attempt to make Jonathon Kent some paranoid pseudo-Objectivist advocating for doing nothing out of fear for Clark in MOS... but I appreciate the family having some genuine wariness and doubts about how their town will treat Clark, and whenever Cavill was allowed to show some “chip on his shoulder” attitude, it worked.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

On the topic of Clark Kent, Glenn Greenwald is what I imagine a modern Clark Kent would be like. He is objective, brilliant, and ruthless at speaking truth to power...but he is physically not very intimidating or manly-looking, and is treated as an annoying pest by his enemies and fellow journalists before he is anything else.

They're also both farmboys on their time off.

Roxy was a much more interesting character than Tana in the 90s Superboy comics.

Extraordinary Member

Bring back Cir-El, but not as Superman’s daughter, and not as Supergirl
    Last edited by Will Evans; 11-28-2020 at 07:12 AM.

BANNED

The real person equivalent of Superman is Fred Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Roxy was a much more interesting character than Tana in the 90s Superboy comics.

Now that girl knew how to get in trouble,scrappy and mouthy, my kinda girl lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Bring back Cir-El, but not as Superman’s daughter, and not as Supergirl
    Yes plz, cir had potential, she was just used wrong Imo. She could be another luthor clone and kon can deal with her, and his "father"

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I don't have an issue with Superman starting out as a mysterious figure like Batman in the start of his career like some people as I see it as a nod to how the Golden Age version of the character started, basically Batman copied Superman's shtick not the other way round.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I don't have an issue with Superman starting out as a mysterious figure like Batman in the start of his career like some people as I see it as a nod to how the Golden Age version of the character started, basically Batman copied Superman's shtick not the other way round.
    People had a problem with it?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    It was originally zorro's shtick,actually. But,batman indeed stole it from superman because batman was also introduced as a strongman himself.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

"Superman is literally wearing the American flag."

He's wearing goddamn primary colors. There isn't one speck of white on his costume. Come on, man. I know we like to reach in cape comics but must we be colorblind? Captain America wears the American flag. Diana, when she had the star-spangled undies, wore the American flag. Superman wears primary colors, two of which are on the American Flag, yes, but all three of which constitute the Armenian and Colombian flags in their entirety as neither have any other design elements. Drop this tired claim that's always used to somehow insinuate that Clark's some good ol' boy who is in some G man's pocket.

The American flag requires stars and the colors red, white and blue. Superman's costume is red, blue and yellow. If we're bringing flags into this, his costume's more Colombian than it is American. Drop this ****.
    Last edited by Robanker; 11-30-2020 at 03:39 AM.